GPU Compatibility

OLDASUS Assembler

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
How do I find out what graphics card is the fastest; but still compatible with an older system motherboard ASUS P5GVMX
I will be using a Prescott Pentium 4 3.62GHZ CPU 3gb 3200 DDR Matched RAM and a 2005 Win XP 64 bit. A 450Watt Thermaltake PSU. And as many cooling fans @ 120 MM needed to temp out OK. I can only find specs that were generated when the board was made and I don't know how to step up to as new as possible but still be 100% compatible.

OLDASUS Assembler

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
This is the last card on the provided list from 2004. ASUS EN5750/TD/128 GeForce PCX5750 128MB 128-bit DDR PCI Express x16 Video Card. This is the most powerful card shown for the P5GVMX Mobo from 2004. So I need to go from this cards specs up to whatever the highest physical hardware architecture I can; but with no PSU limitations connected to this question.

OLDASUS Assembler

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
Is there an advantage or disadvantage to the PCIE express slot verses AGP ? That is if the MOBO has an AGP slot also in addition to the PCIE x16 slot listed. MOBO slots from the Owners manual states that it has 1 x PCI Express x16 slot (max 2GB/s, x4 mode) and 3 x PCI slots

A full bandwidth PCI-e X16 slot has more bandwidth than an AGP slot, that's why they switched over to PCI-e. However your mobo runs its PCI-e slot at X4 mode, so you probably would get better graphic performance from your AGP slot. Therefore I wouldn't recommend getting a PCI-e video card, it would be severely bottle necked by the X4 slot.
Do you know which standard your AGP slot supports?(2x, 4x, 8x)

OLDASUS Assembler

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
clarkjd:

As far as I can see in the manual that I am looking at on my laptop: there are only four expansion slots and none of them are AGP designated. There are only what is shown above. the (1 x PCI Express x16 slot) and the (3 x PCI Slots). The slot 1 specs show that a max of 2GB/s, x4 mode is how they describe the PCI Express x16 slot. They don't show any other information for the 3 PCI's.

Just Wow. :eek: The PCI-e X16 running at X4 is supposed to be faster than PCI. In today's standard, an X4 PCI-e slot is considered SLLOOOWWWW.

I don't know of any current cards that wouldn't be bottle necked by the X4 speed of the slot. :cry:

I'll look later after I get home...

OK...with an unlimited PSU, you could put any video card up to and including a GTX580 or HD6970 in your PC. :non:

But with the X4 PCI-e slot, It would be like trying to run a Harley with the carborater from a Vespa. :eek:

I would recommend something like a GeForce 8400GS, HD2600Pro , or at most a HD3450. Even these might be bottle necked. You could get these for under $100 at Newegg. You might find something like the x1900xtx on ebay or craig's list.
I hope this helps! Good luck with whatever you decide. :sol:

OLDASUS Assembler

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
I am currently looking into an Nvidia 8800GTS through e-bay based on what you said and guided me on here; and what I have learned doing research. Please if you have the time when you see this; let me know if I am better off with you're card numbers you provided; or using almost any card. Being whatever I can get the best deal on based on condition and how a used card has been treated sufficing this application. I am thinking that until I can get the killer 58XUD9 Mobo and an AMD Phenom II 1100 CPU to have a real/new/ 3.0USB capable system; that maybe I will run into a freebe newer full size board better than this one that is in at least 8x if not 16x where I could use this used card I buy and do better than this boat anchor for a race car scenario you have helped me out with. Thanks soooo much for you're time and expertise in dealing with my $ broke situation trying to at least have a functional Desktop for college on a shoestring minus half the string budget.

An 8800GTS is not a bad card. at one time it was top of the line. Since you are running WinXP-64 bit, you don't have DX10 or 11 available anyway. so you don't have to worry about that. The only gotcha might be if you have enough space in your case for the 8800 to fit. as I recall it was not a short card...

Good Luck!

OLDASUS Assembler

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
Thanks clarkjd. Am I to understand that the DX10 and DX11 will only run on 32 bit? This is very important if that is the case. I have both XP 32 bit SP 1 Retail from EBAY and 2005 Server XP 64bit retail. Supposedly both are quoted to not be on another computer or have never been on one. I worked through understanding the licensing issue differences between OEM and Retail back in 2008. I also contacted Microsoft addressing the concern that ebay sellers may have lied about the XP being never installed or not on another computer. They assured me that I could contact them if it states that it is invalid.

TRENDING THREADS