Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New Gaming Build

Last response: in Systems
March 24, 2011 4:16:17 PM

I have never built a computer before, but I have been planning a new computer for about 4-5 months. Below is the result of my planning.

I beseech the distinguished Tom’s community for any comments or criticism that could improve upon my build.

Approximate Purchase Date: If the feed back isn’t staggering, this weekend (3/25/11)
Budget Range: $2000 (my wife didn’t set a limit told me not to be stingy and regret it later)
System Usage from Most to Least Important: This will be a gaming PC, Movies (will require Blu-ray), Net Surfing (Should be able to handle these three tasks at once)
Parts Not Required: I need it all! (I do intend on using my old monitor for multi-monitor setup)
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg
Country of Origin: United States
Parts Preferences: I themed my parts selected below with blue, black and metallic in mind. (This is not a requirement)
Overclocking: Yes
SLI or Crossfire: If it offers far greater rewards to do so then, yes.
Monitor Resolution: I need a new main monitor

CPU – Intel Core i5-2500k

Motherboard – MSI P67A-GD55

GPU – EVGA GTX 580

RAM – G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB, DDR3 1600, CAS 8)

HDD – Caviar Black (640GB, SATA 6.0Gb/s)

CASE – Antec 900 Two V3 (USB 3.0 Might require additional hardware to use the motherboard header)

PSU – Antec TruePower New 750W

Media Drive – LG Black 10X Blu-ray Burner

OS – Miscrosoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

CPU Cooler - Zalman CNPS9900MAX (135mm Fan)

Monitor - SAMSUNG P2770FH (27”)

My concerns:

I wanted the single best GPU other than the GTX 590 or 6990. That way when I get more money I can buy a second one. Is this strategy flawed? Is the GTX 580 what I want for future SLI or crossfire?

The motherboard meets my needs. If there is a better choice for a similar price tag by all means recommend it. I am unaware of any real bugs with this board other than the “Green power consumption feature” which I intend to turn off.

As noted above the case has a USB 3.0 in the front panel, but I think its attached to one of those through mount cords which come out the back of the case and plug into and existing USB 3.0 port. If this is true please recommend hardware to use the header on the board.

Let me know what you think!

More about : gaming build

Best solution

March 24, 2011 10:25:35 PM

If you plan on running two of those 580's then don't look at anything less than 850w in regards to a psu. Otherwise a decent 600+w psu will do ya just fine. Now if you are going with a single card set up, then I would recommend the Asrock Pro3 P67 mobo.

Also skip the CAS8 RAM. Timings mean zilch in regards to o/c with these 1155 set ups. Look at the CAS9 1600hz G.Skill (1.5v) and combo it with the EVGA gtx 580 to save some money.
March 25, 2011 2:17:42 PM

Best answer selected by muzzified.
March 25, 2011 2:24:09 PM

Yeah, I figured 750 was over kill for one card. The only reason I selected it was because it combos with the case on Newegg for -$30. I'm not sure if your familiar with the air flow in an Antec 900 case, but do you suspect a PSU with a top fan would improve airflow or is that wishful thinking?
!