Weird motherboard issues

jjcisn82

Honorable
Feb 26, 2012
Hello. I have some weird issues that my computer is doing and I am wondering if its all motherboard related. I have an Asus p7p55d-e lx motherboard. Intel i7 860 processor, 14GB of RAM. I dual boot between Windows 7 64 bit and Mac OS X Lion. While under Lion my keyboard will stop working sometimes. I have the logitech backlit USB keyboard. When it stops working the keys will still be lit up but the keyboard is not response and the USB mouse still works. I have tried switching USB ports with the same results. Under Windows 7 I do not see this issue so I am assuming its a Mac OS X issue but I don't want to rule out a hardware issue. I have to power off the computer by holding my power button on my case, remove the power cable, press the power button again to clear any remaining power, reconnect the power cable and reboot my system to get the keyboard to work. Also my onboard ethernet died and then magically began working again. Sometimes I triple boot into Ubuntu 11.10 on a flash drive and when I go to press F8 to choose the boot device at boot I do not see my flash drive listed. I have do the power cycle I described before to get the flash drive to show in the boot menu and then it works. There are days I can run my computer all day without a problem and then other days where I have to power cycle it a few times.

I am not sure if my motherboard is going bad or power supply or the whole thing. If anyone has had these issues before could you please give me a heads up as to the source of the problem.

I have looked on newegg for a new motherboard for my processor and I see that they are getting really slim in models and availably. I would like to get an i5 2500k and a socket 1555 board to go with it and just use all my other existing hardware but cost is an issue at the moment and I am trying to make what I have work for me until I can upgrade.

I find Logitech, as you have, to be the most reliable -- but they cannot be used with USB 3.0 (blue USB ports).

I have a Hackintosh setup, but I do NOT dual boot as such. Instead I use BIOS profiles with BIOS specific settings and totally separate boot drives. More than likely the root issue is in the BIOS and not the Logitech itself.

Otherwise not knowing your version -- look for a patch/update ; example -> http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/03/mac-os-x-1063-update.html