Solved

Upgrade to SB or wait for IB or SB-E class

Is it worth it to upgrade now to an i5-2500k
or just wait for the Ivy Bridge or the SB-E series?
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrade wait class
  1. It depends on your budget and usage, Ivy and SB-e will not be cheap (unlikely anyway).
  2. What is your current setup? If an i5 or i7 1st Gen 'core', then I'd say no. Maybe if using a Core 2 duo (I'm not up to speed on AMD tech, but whatever is equivalent).
  3. SNB-E definitely won't be cheap -- they are Intel's new extreme-performance chips. They will likely be $500, $700, and $1,000 for the three introductory models. You will also need an X79 mainboard and a quad-channel memory kit.

    IVB will likely be a little more expensive than current SNB processors. They are the mainstream replacement for current SNB CPUs, and will be compatible with most current 1155 mainboards after a BIOS update.
  4. If you truly need a system *now*, I'd go for SandyBridge; if you are using at least an older i5 or i7, I'd stand pat, and wait for the advent of Bulldozer and/or IvyBridge....
    (SandyBridge-E and accompanying socket 2011 mainboards will likely NOT be 'cheap')
  5. Well currently my specs are

    Intel Core 2 duo E6850
    P5K-e
    Sapphire Toxic 6850
    Enermax 620W

    while im in no rush, im considering getting a new rig im just looking for input
    i have no budget at the moment, im not looking for top of the line but i mean 1 or 2 tiers down from the best would be sufficient
  6. Im more interested in looking for a Mobo and CPU type deal everything else is more of a preference
  7. If this is a pure gaming rig I suggest you wait until you upgrade the GPU as well because the E6850 is not holding back the 6850 in a major way.
  8. Perhaps would should wait a little bit for BD if you can.
    SBE is probably going to be $500/$700/$999 like stated above, plus the expensive Mobo; while IB is a long while from now.
  9. Best answer
    I dont think there are many games that will give your cpu or gpu too much trouble, though you will definitely see a signficiant performance gain in some games by upgrading to sandy bridge.

    The short and easy answer is: if you are satisfied with current peformance, dont bother upgrading yet. If you are having frame rate issues, upgrade to sb.

    ivy bridge is going to be a major upgrade, so i would wait for that.
  10. Well i might as well wait then, im a FPS junkie but i like my things to run smooth to say the least at the high or max graphics. So i might as well get a second gpu, crossfire it in the mean time and wait
  11. I would imagine you would run into a CPU bottleneck if you tried crossfiring your card. You could try overclocking your cpu if possible until you eventually upgrade it.
  12. im running at 3.3 Ghz
  13. Best answer selected by StarRavier.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Intel i5