Upgrade to SB or wait for IB or SB-E class

Solution
I dont think there are many games that will give your cpu or gpu too much trouble, though you will definitely see a signficiant performance gain in some games by upgrading to sandy bridge.

The short and easy answer is: if you are satisfied with current peformance, dont bother upgrading yet. If you are having frame rate issues, upgrade to sb.

ivy bridge is going to be a major upgrade, so i would wait for that.
SNB-E definitely won't be cheap -- they are Intel's new extreme-performance chips. They will likely be $500, $700, and $1,000 for the three introductory models. You will also need an X79 mainboard and a quad-channel memory kit.

IVB will likely be a little more expensive than current SNB processors. They are the mainstream replacement for current SNB CPUs, and will be compatible with most current 1155 mainboards after a BIOS update.

If you truly need a system *now*, I'd go for SandyBridge; if you are using at least an older i5 or i7, I'd stand pat, and wait for the advent of Bulldozer and/or IvyBridge....
(SandyBridge-E and accompanying socket 2011 mainboards will likely NOT be 'cheap')

starravier

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Well currently my specs are

Intel Core 2 duo E6850
P5K-e
Sapphire Toxic 6850
Enermax 620W

while im in no rush, im considering getting a new rig im just looking for input
i have no budget at the moment, im not looking for top of the line but i mean 1 or 2 tiers down from the best would be sufficient

Overclocked Toaster

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
I dont think there are many games that will give your cpu or gpu too much trouble, though you will definitely see a signficiant performance gain in some games by upgrading to sandy bridge.

The short and easy answer is: if you are satisfied with current peformance, dont bother upgrading yet. If you are having frame rate issues, upgrade to sb.

ivy bridge is going to be a major upgrade, so i would wait for that.

Solution

starravier

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Well i might as well wait then, im a FPS junkie but i like my things to run smooth to say the least at the high or max graphics. So i might as well get a second gpu, crossfire it in the mean time and wait