Recommendations needed for Dell Studio 540 RAM Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

pyrosaga

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
Hey all,

I'm looking to upgrade my RAM by about 4 gb from my current 2x2gb setup (DDR2). My current mb is the Dell 0M017G. CPU is the Q8200. Price range would preferably be <$30.

I have 2 extra slots so another 2x2gb probably would work? Or should I replace the crappy 2x2gb setup that I have (Hynix PC2-6400 (400 MHz))? Any suggestions/advice would be most appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

PS. If I didn't post the right information, let me know and I'll get it posted ASAP. :bounce:

Solution
If you already have hynix, then stick with it if you can find it at a good price. Your dell doesn't have any bios adjustments for the ram speed; so no matter what brand you buy, the speed will remain the same. I use craigslist to shop for used dell products, so you may get lucky and find some that match your current ram.
If you already have hynix, then stick with it if you can find it at a good price. Your dell doesn't have any bios adjustments for the ram speed; so no matter what brand you buy, the speed will remain the same. I use craigslist to shop for used dell products, so you may get lucky and find some that match your current ram.

Solution

pyrosaga

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012

I'm really new at upgrading computer stuff, so correct me if I'm wrong: I saw a thread in TH that said that their Studio 540 could handle 800 mhz DDR2. Would you recommend me look for those types or stick with 400 mhz?

pyrosaga

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012

Ok, thanks a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.