Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Nvidia 240 vs ATI HD 4200 onboard

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 20, 2011 4:31:14 AM

Hi everyone, I rebuilt my grandma's computer for her a few weeks ago and her board came with the ATI HD 4200 on it. The problem is I have repeatedly recieved the "ati2dvag error" blue screen with the "infinite loop" message. I am away at college so it is difficult for me to keep running back to try to reinstall the driver every few weeks.

Anyway, I was wondering if this Nvidia card would make any difference in the performance of her computer for her uses. She only streams videos from hulu/abc.com and checks her emails. I can get thecard for 45$ at a local store by me, I would like to stay away from ATI because of the issue I am having with their software on her machine.

EVGA 512-P3-1242-LR GeForce GT 240 Superclocked 512MB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If it is pretty close to the ATI HD 4200 I guess I will try to fix the driver issue for good and save the money.

Her computer specs are:
400 watt Inland Silver Series Power Supply
MSI 785GM-P45 AM3 mATX Motherboard
AMD Athlon II X4 640 Processor
Patriot “Sector 5” 4GB DDR3-1333 RAM
IDE 80GB HDD
IDE DVD-RW
Windows XP Home Edition 32bit
Related resources

Best solution

a c 164 U Graphics card
January 20, 2011 7:53:49 AM

A GT210 will be about the same as that onboard. The GT240 is more like the 9600GT which is overkill for streaming video and email. A GT210 or GT220 would be a better fit.
a b U Graphics card
January 20, 2011 8:02:15 AM

I_know_nothing said:
Hi everyone, I rebuilt my grandma's computer for her a few weeks ago and her board came with the ATI HD 4200 on it. The problem is I have repeatedly recieved the "ati2dvag error" blue screen with the "infinite loop" message. I am away at college so it is difficult for me to keep running back to try to reinstall the driver every few weeks.

Anyway, I was wondering if this Nvidia card would make any difference in the performance of her computer for her uses. She only streams videos from hulu/abc.com and checks her emails. I can get thecard for 45$ at a local store by me, I would like to stay away from ATI because of the issue I am having with their software on her machine.

EVGA 512-P3-1242-LR GeForce GT 240 Superclocked 512MB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If it is pretty close to the ATI HD 4200 I guess I will try to fix the driver issue for good and save the money.

Her computer specs are:
400 watt Inland Silver Series Power Supply
MSI 785GM-P45 AM3 mATX Motherboard
AMD Athlon II X4 640 Processor
Patriot “Sector 5” 4GB DDR3-1333 RAM
IDE 80GB HDD
IDE DVD-RW
Windows XP Home Edition 32bit

Yeah, the GT240 is a little overkill for her needs, but $45 is a good price for that card and it will certainly be enough for even doing some gaming. I recently built a nice gaming rig for my sister with a GT 240/ The other nice thing is you won't have to replace her power supply.

However what really makes me wonder is why XP? I would replace her OS before buying newer hardware. Also that hard drive should prolly be replaced too. Its just not up to speed with the other components.
a c 164 U Graphics card
January 20, 2011 8:32:28 AM

While it might be a good idea from a security point of view to update the OS, I question if its really a good idea. Keep in mind this is grandma's machine. I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess she is not in her younger years. She might not like the differences in the interface between XP and Win7. And wishing no ill will towards her, I'm not sure her later years are worth learning something so new.

Upgrading the drive might be a good idea when you get the chance, $$$. Faster load times might help her depending on the age/speed of the 80GB you have.
January 20, 2011 12:12:14 PM

4745454b said:
While it might be a good idea from a security point of view to update the OS, I question if its really a good idea. Keep in mind this is grandma's machine. I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess she is not in her younger years. She might not like the differences in the interface between XP and Win7. And wishing no ill will towards her, I'm not sure her later years are worth learning something so new.

Upgrading the drive might be a good idea when you get the chance, $$$. Faster load times might help her depending on the age/speed of the 80GB you have.

You are exactly right! lol I do not even want to step into the area of changing the appearance of things for her. I would constantly recieve phone calls on how to do stuff even though to all of us windows 7 doesnt seem like a leap at all. I was on an extremely tight budget, I upgraded everything for under $140 when including rebates so everything else would be extra cost on me.

I really appreciate all your help, I checked out the cards and one was a lot more money by $25 and the lower end ones were still about $45 after tax/shipping so even though the 240 card is overkill I think it would be the best bang for my buck.

Let me know if you have any other tips, I will definitely try to look for some killer deals on a Sata HDD for her later, like i said I am in college so money isn't always available to me right away. Thanks!
January 20, 2011 12:21:06 PM

Best answer selected by I_know_nothing.
a c 271 U Graphics card
January 26, 2011 5:11:00 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!