Memory advice GA-880gm-usb3 1055t

Status
Not open for further replies.

msholden

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010
I've got 4gb of 10666 memory in my system now, and was thinking of going to 8gb, and speeding up the memory in the hopes of getting a little more performance. My boot drive is a 64gb ssd. I run Win 7 64 Ultimate.

I don't play games, but I typically have photoshop, pagemaker (an old desktop publishing program) and a few dozen browser windows running.

Right now it looks like I can buy mushkin 8gb pc-12800 cl8 memory for about $55. I could save a few bucks by going for CL9.

For a few bucks extra I could go with PC-14900.

What would you buy, and why?

Solution
Column Address Strobe (CAS) latency, or CL, is the delay time between the moment a memory controller tells the memory module to access a particular memory column on a RAM memory module, and the moment the data from given array location is available on the module's output pins. In general, the lower the CAS latency, the better.

But I really don't see that much different in general use on nowadays computing..... I remember Most people looking for lower CL in DDR age....and at that time really make the different...

For your situation... I don't you can feel any different in between two...

sonexpc

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
Your motherboard have 4 Slot .... do you have 2x2GB now or 1x4GB now..

if you have 2x2GB now and you plan for running dual channel then you can order 2x2GB more to make total 8GB ( but no more upgarde) or 2x4GB to make (12GB total)

if you have 1x4GB then just order one of 1x4GB match what you have to make it running dual channel... and you have 2 slot open to upgarde in future..

for upgrade better upgrade to the same specification with your old memory...

what you have now? Brand and model number?

sonexpc

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
Column Address Strobe (CAS) latency, or CL, is the delay time between the moment a memory controller tells the memory module to access a particular memory column on a RAM memory module, and the moment the data from given array location is available on the module's output pins. In general, the lower the CAS latency, the better.

But I really don't see that much different in general use on nowadays computing..... I remember Most people looking for lower CL in DDR age....and at that time really make the different...

For your situation... I don't you can feel any different in between two...

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.