Sign in with
Your question

Time to consolidate... Need advice for hardware

Last response: in Systems
March 24, 2011 9:43:28 PM

Time for a new server!!

So I am following the forums guidelines, please see below :D  :

Approximate Purchase Date: Next month or two.

Budget Range: Up to $10,000 for everything. Hardware, Software, etc.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: DC/DNS, SQL, Application, File/Print, Web, Email, Fax, XMPP,

Parts Not Required: Rack, UPS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Dell, HP, possible whitebox (newegg)

Country of Origin: NA

Parts Preferences: by brand or type: Killer Intel processor, lots of ram

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: NA

Monitor Resolution: 1024x768 would be sufficient

Additional Comments:

Below is the current setup and what I want to do.

Server 1
-------------
Processor: Intel P4 2.4GHz
Memory: 1GB
Responsibilities:
- Domain Controller
- DNS
- Application Server
- SQL (SQL Server 2000)
- File Server
- Print Server

Server 2
--------------
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 2.2GHz
Responsibilities:
- Web server (IIS)
- Email Server for the online payment system
Note: This server is not part of the domain, but has a user to read the SQL database on "Server 1" for an online payment system.

Server 3
----------------
Processor: Intel Xeon 2.8GHz
Responsibilities:
- XMPP Server
- Fax Server
- Secondary Email Server
Note: This server is not part of the domain

I have these three aging servers that I would like to consolidate into one physical box. I don't really want to convert what I currently have into VM's, since they were here before I was and I want to start from scratch so I know exactly what is going into them. I would like to get one powerful box, and break it out into 4 Windows Server 2008 VM's. One would be used for the Domain Controller, DNS, Application, File and Print server. The second would be used just as a web server using IIS - which I have to use as that is what is required by our application vendor. Third would be just the SQL server. And the fourth would be used as my XMPP, Fax, and email server.

The DC would obviously be part of the domain since its controlling it. I would keep the web server, and the xmpp/fax/email server outside of the domain, preferably separated from the domain with a firewall. Is it best practice to keep the SQL server outside or part of the domain?

Just to give you an idea of what I'm working with, it’s a business with 10 workstations, all in one building. Each is constantly using an application which queries the SQL database, all day, every day.

The planning stage is in its infancy at this point, but with has been stated, am I on the right track? What would you recommend for hardware for something like this? Any other advice, recommendations?

Much appreciated,

Daniel
March 25, 2011 3:11:13 PM

Hello Daniel981;

There might be a better way to go at this I think.
Why not contact Dell or HP small business and have their experts make recommendations on how to configure a system to meet your requirements.

Once you have an idea what the experts recommend I feel the forum can help you find alternative hardware options to beat or exceed the specs you get from Dell or HP.

I think you're on the right track. But getting a few more 'yes' votes for the plan sounds like a good idea to me.
March 25, 2011 3:13:52 PM

I also think it's probably a good idea to take your topic over into the Business Computing Section of the Forum.

Your topic title does not appear to be attracting the right kind of people to stop by and read your topic.
Maybe some thing about small business Server and VMs in the title?
!