Sign in with
Your question

Powersupply Issue?

Last response: in Components
June 25, 2011 12:59:57 AM

Hey guys I'm really hoping you can help me out here im frankly puzzled by what's happening with my PC.

A few weeks ago we had a huge power surge due to lightning and it blew my old PSU. I replaced my old PSU with a second hand one from a computer manufacturer due to replacing this pc in about 4-6 months time and not wanting to spend much. Everything worked fine for about 2 weeks but since then everytime I turn on the pc it begins the boot process and lasts maybe 5 seconds (nothing comes up on the monitor). It will then make an odd scraping noise and shuts down completely, then it will automatically turn itself back on and start booting again, this process will be repeated constantly and randomly until it finally post's normally after perhaps 2-3 minutes of this. Once it has posted there's no further issues the pc runs fine even with stressful things like games and all temps are normal.

The reason im posting here is I suspect it is the PSU causing this, I don't know the brand unfortunatly I was a bit desperate just to get the pc back up and running for work reasons and just took his most powerful which was a 650w from an existing computer he had in the back. The only other thing I wondered if it could be is my CPU fan it doesn't sit very securely on the heatsink its old and something snapped a while ago on it.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, i'm concerned it could be something worse.

Specs

Intel Core 2 Duo - 2.6ghz
Corsair Dominator DDR2 - 2048
Geforce 8800 Gt - 512
Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. EP45-UD3LR

More about : powersupply issue

a b ) Power supply
June 25, 2011 1:20:26 AM

What's the PSU sticker say?
m
l
June 25, 2011 2:05:41 AM

Ok I pulled my pc out mosox had a look at the back, the bottom and the side and its just black. I daren't unplug everything to check the side I cant see. I'm sorry thats not more help do you have any ideas? Is it likely to be the PSU?
m
l
Related resources
a c 1196 ) Power supply
June 25, 2011 2:51:59 AM

The power supply could be a piece of crap but you're not willing to provide the information to help us confirm or disprove it.

What's the point in guessing at what may be causing the problem with nothing to base that guess on?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 25, 2011 12:41:58 PM

It should be the PSU, take it back.
m
l
!