Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How to install my gtx 460?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 20, 2011 8:58:52 AM

could you kindly tell me the steps on how to install this card? plz use paint to tell what cables should i connect

do i have to take more pics?

More about : install gtx 460

January 20, 2011 9:26:15 AM

The pictures which u hv posted are not sufficient.

Anyhow,, I can give you some tips since I installed my GTX 460 some weeks ago. ...

1. Just remember this fact that you will not be able to connect two cables if they are not suppose to be connected (unless you apply force, in which case you will end up breaking them). So I simply started the cables by seeing the connectors and making guesses. It took me just 10 min to install the complete card which includes opening the cabinet and removing the old card as well.

2. All the cables which you see in the box will not be required as some of them might already be hanging around in your cabinet from PSU, for eg. the cable shown in pic # 2. Similarly all the connectors you see on the card will not have the cable attached to them as there are many connectors which are used to measure the CARD Voltage input etc. in a workshop for testing, writing reviews etc. So do not feel that it is not finished if you see some cables unused and some connectors unattached.

3. Your box will have a big one paper manual folded and hidden deep. Do not tell me it is not there as I also thought initially but then found it after I installed the card below the last layer of cardboard in the box. Try to search it and it will help you further.

Just follow your instincts and it will go OK... there is hardly anything wrong you could do here.

let me know .. :hello: 

January 20, 2011 9:52:42 AM

10 mins?.i can install my 8800gt sli in that time.it just takes 4 or 5 mins.just install card on pci express slot.and make sure it doesnot touches any hard disk or Dvd rom,then connect pci express 6 pin connectors or 8 pin if it needs them.after that close casing,i am sure it will be installed correctly.after that install latest drivers from website,not the ones that came with driver cd,they might be outdated.
Related resources
January 20, 2011 10:20:22 AM

where do i connect the white thingies from the 6 pin cable? ( the one in the second pic picture))

January 20, 2011 11:22:52 AM

i think I did it right.... there s another problem now... when the molex are connected the monitor won t start...it boots ok! only after i disconnect the molex i get signal with onboard ati... if i uninstall the drivers will it work? or i need the set up something in bios?
January 20, 2011 12:27:47 PM

disable onboard vga from bios.i hope it will be fine then.
January 20, 2011 12:52:22 PM

nope... doesn't work... and i couldn t see any image on my display....luckly i memorised the steps to reactivate my onboard
January 20, 2011 1:07:02 PM

the vent on the gpu is working, the cable i m using is vga ( i think) and i m using an adaptor too
January 20, 2011 1:10:40 PM

mrjericho1991 said:
10 mins?.i can install my 8800gt sli in that time.it just takes 4 or 5 mins.just install card on pci express slot.and make sure it doesnot touches any hard disk or Dvd rom,then connect pci express 6 pin connectors or 8 pin if it needs them.after that close casing,i am sure it will be installed correctly.after that install latest drivers from website,not the ones that came with driver cd,they might be outdated.

agreed,,

I am just the kind of guy who likes to feel his PC and enjoy any hardware or software installation he does.

January 20, 2011 1:34:05 PM

if update this driver do u think it will work? which one should I choose I have win 7 64bit
a c 173 U Graphics card
January 20, 2011 1:41:59 PM

I don't know about the brand and wattage of the unit that you have but the cables are already covered. Just use the 4pin molex to 6pin pci-e power adapter in one of the 6pin power connectors on the card and the other requires no adapter as there is already one 6pin power connector from the psu.
January 20, 2011 2:17:59 PM

it s a corsair 400W ...... i ve already connected both 6pin to the molex
a c 173 U Graphics card
January 20, 2011 2:30:43 PM

How did it fair? The wattage isn't that good and I suggest that you look for an upgrade for future growth of your needs. Never go with a low wattage unit unless you have specific and defined needs for that time for that system. For a system that is meant for heavy gaming and as a workstation on the side for productivity work 400w isn't going to cut it as it will be a choke point on future upgradebility of your system.
550w is as low as I go and even that leaves me limited in choices.
January 20, 2011 2:35:55 PM

they reccomend 450W PSU... nvidia usually pumps up the wattage requierements from what i ve heard... and the PSU is a Corsair...
someone told me that the gpu might be broken if there is one long beep and 2 short beeps when the onboard card is inactive
a b U Graphics card
January 20, 2011 2:47:57 PM

A long, short, short beep code usually indicates memory failure. Does the system so much as post?

By the way, it's highly recommended you never use the PCI-E to Molex converters for powering GPU's.
January 20, 2011 4:25:16 PM

here is where I think you disactivate the onboard.. am I right?
January 20, 2011 7:19:38 PM

here are my specs....
mobo: MA785GM-US2H
ram: 2gb ddr2 800mhz
cpu: phenom x4 925 2.8ghz
psu: corsair 400W
gpu: asus gtx 460 768mb
display: LCD HP L1906
a c 173 U Graphics card
January 20, 2011 9:08:37 PM

What is the wattage of that cpu, people tend to be somewhat hastey when buying a cpu and some times buy a higher wattage sample. Avoid the 125w samples as not all boards can handle the load in the long term. You can try to test the card in another system or complain to customer service and ask for an RMA for a new one to rule out the card being a dead brick.
January 20, 2011 9:43:03 PM

its not the cpu... the mobo suports the cpu wattage.... it s the gpu that s new
a c 173 U Graphics card
January 20, 2011 9:45:17 PM

zlad said:
its not the cpu... the mobo suports the cpu wattage.... it s the gpu that s new

OK try to RMA for a new card and at the worst they will test the card and it passes the quality test and you get it back. If that happens replace the psu with a higher wattage and quality psu. That brand seams to be tanking in quality lately as there are steadily more people having issues with them.
January 21, 2011 5:28:33 AM

bump
January 21, 2011 12:23:23 PM

I just tested it on another computer... and it works...what could it be?
January 21, 2011 3:33:05 PM

bump
January 21, 2011 6:32:14 PM

could it be the 6pin cable?
a c 271 U Graphics card
January 21, 2011 6:53:54 PM

Quote:
Don't..
* Bump posts, claim "first!"

Source.
!