Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Getting a 2500k but a little confused on something...

Last response: in CPUs
June 25, 2011 1:30:08 AM

Hey guys, this forum has been a great source of information, and now I have another question lol.

After I upgrade my card a month later or so ill be getting a Intel I5 2500k...and I am not using the stock fan but instead the Hyper 212+...from newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

God damn that thing looks large though and in the video he says they prove the paste...I am using a AMD Phenom Iix4 b55 and I had this blue paste that I am thinking was the "heatsinking fan"...with this big mama how will the paste work...and any information you can give me on that will be a lot appreciated! The CPU looks like a tiny chip compared to this giant thing lol.

More about : 2500k confused

a b à CPUs
June 25, 2011 4:33:36 AM

Not sure what you mean by prove the paste. The Hyper 212 Plus does come with its own thermal compound.

And yes, heat sinks have to be huge to radiate all the heat away from the CPU. The Hyper 212 Plus is actually one of the smaller heat sinks -- there are much larger ones available that do a better job of cooling. They are more expensive though.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 25, 2011 10:23:11 AM

Yes, the heatsink is large - the best air-cooled heatsinks are. Make sure you attach it firmly (follow the instructions with the heatsink exactly). Use the thermal paste that comes with the heatsink, not something left over from a previous effort.
m
l
Related resources
June 25, 2011 2:53:43 PM

The cooler you are buying will be able to cool you system effectively, watercooling is unneeded since the 2500k can function under quite some heat and your cooler's going to be more than adequate.The cooler should come with it's own thermal compound and you should use a thin layer of that. If it doesn't you could easily buy some at almost all pc or online shops. I hope that you enjoy your new core, I've also bought one and I'm waiting for it to be shipped. Good luck!
m
l
June 25, 2011 3:29:04 PM

The hyper 212+ is a good aftermarket cooler for its price, and certainly a worth-while investment compared to a stock heatsink; however if you are in intending to overclock you shouldn't use the stock thermal paste. Get yourself some arctic silver thermal compound, it's not very expensive and worth every penny, that should see you through a 4.5Ghz overclock with ease, even in warm summer conditions.
m
l
June 26, 2011 5:29:51 PM

Well I suppose my true question is how do I apply the paste since I have never really did it before. My sisters ex bf built my PC...I watched him place the fan on my CPU but I dont remember him putting the paste on it.

Thank you guys for your responses.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 26, 2011 9:16:16 PM

The stock heat sink usually has thermal compound applied at the factory, so that's probably why you didn't see the sister's ex do it.

And there are many ways to apply thermal compound. I personally put a glob in the middle of the CPU and spread that into a thin layer evenly around the entire top surface of the CPU using a spreading tool that came with my GELID GC-Extreme thermal compound. Other people will do one pea-size glob or a line down the middle or three lines or an "X" pattern, and just let the pressure from the heat sink spread the compound for them.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 27, 2011 8:07:35 AM

Arctic Silver used to have a detailed description of how to apply thermal paste. I recall them telling you to put a layer on the CPU and on the heatsink, then wipe it off (idea being that it remained in all the tiny grooves and nicks) and then put a small blob in the middle and let the pressure spread it out.

My inner cynic always thought that maybe they suggested the spread and wipe off method because it meant using more paste, but maybe I'm doing them an injustice :) 
m
l
June 27, 2011 11:55:58 AM

Yes, they have a pdf on their website containing images detailing application.
m
l
June 27, 2011 9:38:37 PM

Ok tyvm for your guys responses...

I just do not want to do it wrong *God knows for my first time I will be very careful* and then I put it on and start the computer up and the CPU burns out lol...that would be bad :p ...So I cant really put too much on? Is it more of putting to little the bigger issue?
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
June 28, 2011 1:37:34 AM

Putting it on too thickly can be almost as bad as having no thermal compound at all.

You basically want a paper-thin layer to fill in the microscopic variations in the surface of the CPU's thermal plate and the heat sink. You can get that by doing the methods I listed in my earlier post.

You'd have to screw up pretty badly to end up with a fried CPU, as they will shut themselves down before that kind of damage can occur.
July 5, 2011 12:04:18 AM

Oh ok thanks Leaps!
m
l
July 5, 2011 12:04:28 AM

Best answer selected by lentyski.
m
l
!