Closed

Buy a second GTX 260 or single GTX 470

I am in the process of gutting my PC and upgrading everything, but I bought a GTX 260 less than a year ago. I feel bad tossing it at this point for another card. I have read several other threads on this site comparing the GTX 260 with an SLI setup to the GTX 470 and the results are somewhat equal. My question is, should I suck it up and by the 470 or should I buy another 260 for SLI? Any advise is greatly appreciated.
31 answers Last reply
More about single
  1. If you got the psu and the rest of the system can go beyond two way sli then go for getting a second gtx 260 then look to maybe a few months to a year a third. If your system can't then I suggest getting a GTX 470 as getting a second gtx 260 is only for those who want a minor boost while keeping costs down ect.
  2. get a gtx 470 and use your gtx 260 for a dedicated physx card if you feel so inclined
  3. Aggie2000 said:
    I am in the process of gutting my PC and upgrading everything, but I bought a GTX 260 less than a year ago. I feel bad tossing it at this point for another card. I have read several other threads on this site comparing the GTX 260 with an SLI setup to the GTX 470 and the results are somewhat equal. My question is, should I suck it up and by the 470 or should I buy another 260 for SLI? Any advise is greatly appreciated.

GTX260 will perform close to GTX295. AFAIK the only single card has the same raw power as GTX295 is GTX480. so i think if you SLI your current GTX260 you might able to get something similar to GTX480. but still you can overclock GTX470 to make it perform much closer to GTX480 as well. btw instead of GTX470 you may want to look for GTX560 that will come out in a few days. i suspect the card will perform like GTX470 but with less power
  4. Roughly 10% faster than a GTX 470 depending on the clocks the GTX 560 will be. However it isn't going to be a cheap card being around the $275-300 mark. Factor in vat in europe and possible in the future vat in the us this card isn't going to be as much of a value compared to the card that it is overtaking that being the GTX 460 but still a worth while card.
  5. nforce4max said:
    Roughly 10% faster than a GTX 470 depending on the clocks the GTX 560 will be. However it isn't going to be a cheap card being around the $275-300 mark. Factor in vat in europe and possible in the future vat in the us this card isn't going to be as much of a value compared to the card that it is overtaking that being the GTX 460 but still a worth while card.

I'm not expecting the 560 to replace the 460. They 460 fits a price point Nvidia needs to fill. I think it's going to be used to replace the 470.
  6. bystander said:
    I'm not expecting the 560 to replace the 460. They 460 fits a price point Nvidia needs to fill. I think it's going to be used to replace the 470.

I agree with this; the 560, depending on how Nvidia have engineered it, may equal the 470 in performance.
  7. You should get a newer card like the GTX 470 or 560 which comes out soon and use the 260 for PhysX, new games will start utilizing PhysX, go with the first recommendation.
  8. You can get 470's performance with a 460 by OCing. I achieved 25.9% OC without increasing the default voltage(1V). Check my signature below for details.
  9. AFAIK almost every GTX460 in the market able to hit 850mhz on core without voltage bump. mine also able to run it stable at the clock but i just let it run for 775 mhz for the time being. btw right now i'm interesting on how well GTX560 will overclock. many suggested that the card will not overclock like GTX460 but when seeing the are some vendors overclock the card 1Ghz out of the box make me thinking again.
  10. Thanks for all the advice guys. I think for the time being I am going to keep the 260, then when direct x11 is more utilized I will get a 400 series or better card and use the 260 for a dedicated physx card. I agree wiht PsycoSayDi that spending any real money on outdated tech is not worth it.
  11. GTX 260 Core 216's in SLI is the exact same performance as a single GTX 470. :) Or at least it was in in July when I made the switch.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/292068-33-benchmarks-core
  12. Quote:
    Depends on how cheap you can get a 260 for. Under 100 bucks.. Get the 260.. Over 100 dollars.. Notw orth it.

^+1 I would even say the decided margin is more in the 80-90 range since its ebay but bottom line is once you get over 100 you can almost buy a brand new dx11 gpu with similar performance
  13. ^+1
    That's true, so doesn't that mean that he should just buy a single 470 and use the 260 for PhysX?
  14. yeah I would, or better yet a single gtx 560 when they arrive should perform similar or better than the gtx 470 and run a lot cooler hopefully bc the 470s can be heaters
  15. dang malmental you are up early huh? or you must be from the UK?its 6am on a sat morning here in the US, (another reason why herb is the best, no hangover and I wake up early and alert :)
  16. nice, thats the way to be, about to head to the gym myself, I like to moke before the run too, lol. Im in Vegas and its about 6:15 but originally from cleveland, ohio so I'm used to the east coast time..
  17. no man serious im from solon, ohio. Is a small world and it seems a lot of people from ohio move to places like florida or vegas cali, etc.
  18. hopefully you are not a heat fan other than Lequit Florida is a good place to be :)
  19. sounds like a great life there buddy, I like the bulls a lot this year d rose is the man, just hate lebron, the accord sounds fun and I always love smoking and cruising along on a nice day, so you are on the gulf side.
  20. very cool, mj 23 the one and only greatest of all time, Lebron is no legend, every great did it in the own back yard practically: Jordan, Bird, Tim Duncan, Kobe, D Wade, and numerous stars before him. Luckily you avoided the hurricanes, I would not have liked to live through those experiences... sheesh, In the end I'm a huge Ohio and Cleveland sports fan at heart; cavs, browns, indians, osu, even though they stink I still love em. I'm not much of a poker player, I just like to go out and drink and watch people lose their asses... however I will play some roulette from time to time for fun but that's about it...

do you have steam? if so mines: defytheordinary001, have a good weekend brotha
  21. nice, take care
  22. Shouldn't you two be talking about this stuff via PM? Isn't that why we have that option?
  23. sorry bossman
  24. yeah "christ is the reason for the season" look at his avatar its a thin wafer
  25. this thread is worthless shut her down mousemonkey
  26. nanu nanu noonan
  27. Quote:
    Florida? You bastard. I'm in Pa and it's barely 10 degrees outside.

did you swap out your 6870 for 2 5870s? I thought you had a high clocked 6870 if I remember correctly... PA pshhhh Ben Worthlisberger is gonna choke what a hillbilly
  28. nice! why not just grab a secong 6870 must have gotten a good deal.... either way 5870s have got to give you some killer performance
  29. I take it your from philly, not pitt..., or just not a football fan
  30. This topic has been closed by Buwish
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx SLI Graphics