Scared of my MemTest86 Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

imtiax

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
I got this ram http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145315

This is the first time I've ever built a computer and the first time I've ever used MemTest86.

these are my mem test results. What does that error mean? Do i need to RMA?

4zVQ5S.png

18Wtq2.png

Solution
If any of the BIOS updates were for "improved compatibility with some makes of memory" then updating the BIOS may have cured the memory errors. The only way to confirm this is to keep on testing.

bloc97

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
That error meant that your RAM had an error reading the Address "000036009e8" at fffffffd to ffffffff.

But it may be an read-only part of the RAM being used by the DOS system.
Re-try an MemTest with an other software to be sure.

Hope it helps! :)

D

Deleted member 217926

Pretty much any memtest errors mean you have a bad stick.

Rerun memtest with a single stick at a time to isolate the bad one. Then RMA it. Most RAM has a lifetime warranty.

imtiax

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
Well If i just keep these 2 Ram sticks, will my PC be fine for gaming?

I don't really want to send both ram sticks back, Because my computer wont run for atleast a week (Shipping to them and back) and I have tons of computer science assignments every class.

Will that 54MB that got an error get bigger?? I will re run the test tonight.

The computer should run with one memory stick all be it a little bit slower. Run the memory test on each stick in turn for at least three passes to see if just one of the sticks is faulty. It is not uncommon to get memory that is simply incompatible with your motherboard but works perfectly in another system. You must fix this problem as this error will cause your computer to be unreliable in the long term.

D

Deleted member 217926

Either you are starting with cheap junky brands or as said above you are not handling your electronics correctly.

I have spent tens of thousands of dollars at newegg over the years and have had one DOA hard drive and one DOA case fan. Oh and a Corsair power supply died after a few months in a computer I built for my uncle. I will pay a bit extra to buy from newegg because of how easy their RMA process is.

I have however caught the UPS guy actually throwing a package with 2 hard drives in it up 10 or 12 steps on to my front porch because he was too lazy to walk and he obviously did not see my truck in the garage. I never saw that UPS guy again. Pretty sure I got him fired.

You need to RMA the memory. Bad memory can cause all kinds of problems. If you give newegg a credit card number they will ship you the new memory and let you ship back the old stuff after you receive the new sticks. They will not charge you as long as you ship the old stuff back within a certain time period of a few days.

bloc97

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010

Yes it would be fine as long that your RAM Modules have ECC correction. This can be checked with AIDA64.
If you want perfect stability, locate the faulty Module, and only use the other one.

No, it won't get bigger since it doesn't have mechanical parts and won't wear, but it may get worse if it is not just an manufacturing problem.
It may also be an faulty motherboard that damages RAM Modules...

D

Deleted member 217926

Yeah because most desktop computers have ECC RAM... :heink:

He has an Q8400 according to the memtest screenshots, not exactly the server CPU of choice. Nor do any desktop boards I know of support ECC.

D

Deleted member 217926

You do NOT have ECC memory unless your bought it for a server and have a motherboard that supports it. You would know.

bloc97

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010

Never use UPS :non:, it has bad service, high shipping cost, and they actually just leave your package lying there in the hallway... :pfff:
They don't expect anyone taking your electronics with an worth over 700$... :fou:

However I don't know if they do that in the USA too, but they always do their stupid in Canada... I trust Purolator by far compared to "UPShit"...

bloc97

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010

Oh yea, I forgot since I come from the future and everyone has ECC Correction with the cheap 1TB RAM's. :D

bloc97

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010

Open AIDA64, go to Motherboard > SPD, then check your Module Voltage and post it here.

imtiax

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
Great News....I started MemTest86 Before I went to bed. I woke up a few minutes ago and NO ERRORS...WTH?

So does that mean the first time I did the test it was just a glitch?

(Note that this time mem test was on for over 7h)

ECpReb.png

Status
Not open for further replies.