Fix for magneta cast with i9900

Tags:
Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
February 12, 2005 7:53:46 PM

Well after all the comments here that =I= must be doing something wrong,
that I was double profiling and didn't know it ect, I finally found the
solution. After a bunch of emails to Canon, with their equally ineffective
suggestions (like defragging my hard drive?) they sent a replacement
printer and this one works perfect. Just a heads up for anyone else pulling
your hair out trying to get good color from a printer, they do sell
defective products from time to time and it might be what's causing your
headache. I knew it wasn't anything I was doing as I have 2 canon printers
hooked up to the same machine, an 8200 and this i9900 and using the exact
same workflow, the 8200 works fine and the i9900 had a strong magenta cast.
--

Stacey

More about : fix magneta cast i9900

Anonymous
February 12, 2005 9:13:20 PM

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 16:53:46 -0500, Stacey <fotocord@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Well after all the comments here that =I= must be doing something wrong,
>that I was double profiling and didn't know it ect, I finally found the
>solution. After a bunch of emails to Canon, with their equally ineffective
>suggestions (like defragging my hard drive?) they sent a replacement
>printer and this one works perfect. Just a heads up for anyone else pulling
>your hair out trying to get good color from a printer, they do sell
>defective products from time to time and it might be what's causing your
>headache. I knew it wasn't anything I was doing as I have 2 canon printers
>hooked up to the same machine, an 8200 and this i9900 and using the exact
>same workflow, the 8200 works fine and the i9900 had a strong magenta cast.

You say it was defective... yet it had good nozzle checks?
How do you explain that?

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 9:13:21 PM

"rafe bustin" <rafeb@speakeasy.net> wrote in message
> On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 16:53:46 -0500, Stacey <fotocord@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Well after all the comments here that =I= must be doing something wrong,
>>that I was double profiling and didn't know it ect, I finally found the
>>solution. After a bunch of emails to Canon, with their equally ineffective
>>suggestions (like defragging my hard drive?) they sent a replacement
>>printer and this one works perfect. Just a heads up for anyone else pulling
>>your hair out trying to get good color from a printer, they do sell
>>defective products from time to time and it might be what's causing your
>>headache. I knew it wasn't anything I was doing as I have 2 canon printers
>>hooked up to the same machine, an 8200 and this i9900 and using the exact
>>same workflow, the 8200 works fine and the i9900 had a strong magenta cast.
>

> You say it was defective... yet it had good nozzle checks?
> How do you explain that?

There are plenty of possible defects besides bad nozzles.
Related resources
February 12, 2005 11:32:30 PM

rafe bustin wrote:

> You say it was defective... yet it had good nozzle checks?

Yes the nozzle test looks fine, the head alignment is good etc.

> How do you explain that?

Something wrong with the print head or the hardware inside the printer? All
I know is they sent me another printer, I plugged it in, reused the same
ink tanks (but used the new print head) and printed the same image using
the same software (for this test I used canon's own printing software for
both) and the prints from this replacement don't have this strong magenta
cast.

Is it so unbelievable Canon could make a defective printer? Or that each
and every printer is going to be slightly different? No manufacturer is
perfect and this is why people pay the money to have profiles of THEIR
printer made, no two are going to be perfectly the same. Seems this first
one was on the outer limits of the spec? All I know is this replacement
printers colors look MUCH better than the first without any other changes
other than the printer itself.

--

Stacey
Anonymous

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 17:24:58 -0800, "MarkĀ²" <mjmorgan(lowest even
number here)@cox..net> wrote:

>"rafe bustin" <rafeb@speakeasy.net> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 16:53:46 -0500, Stacey <fotocord@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Well after all the comments here that =I= must be doing something wrong,
>>>that I was double profiling and didn't know it ect, I finally found the
>>>solution. After a bunch of emails to Canon, with their equally ineffective
>>>suggestions (like defragging my hard drive?) they sent a replacement
>>>printer and this one works perfect. Just a heads up for anyone else pulling
>>>your hair out trying to get good color from a printer, they do sell
>>>defective products from time to time and it might be what's causing your
>>>headache. I knew it wasn't anything I was doing as I have 2 canon printers
>>>hooked up to the same machine, an 8200 and this i9900 and using the exact
>>>same workflow, the 8200 works fine and the i9900 had a strong magenta cast.
>>

>> You say it was defective... yet it had good nozzle checks?
>> How do you explain that?
>
>There are plenty of possible defects besides bad nozzles.

OK, please explain how an inkjet printer firing on all
nozzles can have a hardware defect causing a magenta cast.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 2:21:42 AM

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 20:32:30 -0500, Stacey <fotocord@yahoo.com> wrote:

>rafe bustin wrote:
>

>> You say it was defective... yet it had good nozzle checks?
>
>Yes the nozzle test looks fine, the head alignment is good etc.
>

>> How do you explain that?
>>

>Something wrong with the print head or the hardware inside the printer? All
>I know is they sent me another printer, I plugged it in, reused the same
>ink tanks (but used the new print head) and printed the same image using
>the same software (for this test I used canon's own printing software for
>both) and the prints from this replacement don't have this strong magenta
>cast.
>
> Is it so unbelievable Canon could make a defective printer? Or that each
>and every printer is going to be slightly different? No manufacturer is
>perfect and this is why people pay the money to have profiles of THEIR
>printer made, no two are going to be perfectly the same. Seems this first
>one was on the outer limits of the spec? All I know is this replacement
>printers colors look MUCH better than the first without any other changes
>other than the printer itself.

Ah I just thought of one thing... the print head
heaters. Thermal heads have tiny heaters to keep
the head at constant temperature... could have
been a problem with the heater regulation on the
magenta nozzles.

(Might explain why I've never seen such a thing
on any Epson printer... but I did see something
like this as my S9000 was dying.)

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com
February 13, 2005 4:35:29 AM

rafe bustin wrote:

>>There are plenty of possible defects besides bad nozzles.
>
> OK, please explain how an inkjet printer firing on all
> nozzles can have a hardware defect causing a magenta cast.

How could anyone but the designers know what could cause this? After I
finally got a hold of someone at canon with a brain, they talked to the
engineering staff and the engineer said it sounded like a defective
printer, which is was. You can't see that the nozzle size for that color
couldn't be a touch too large? Given how small the nozzels are, I could
easily see there being lots of variations from printer to printer as far as
color balance.
--

Stacey
Anonymous

That is fortunate for you.
More often than not the reason for a prevailing magenta cast is that color
management is being applied twice, by Photoshop and by the printer driver.
This is independent of printer brand or drivers.
Canon's color management protocols are aracane and non-intuitive, compared
to Epson. In my experience they are also somewhere between useless and
pointless, which is a shame because Canon printers are capable of stunning
results if you learn to overcome the probelmatic drivers.
I strongly suspect software was to blame for your problems, but if you feel
they are corrected by a new printer that is all that matters.
February 13, 2005 6:25:35 AM

bmoag wrote:

> That is fortunate for you.
> More often than not the reason for a prevailing magenta cast is that color
> management is being applied twice, by Photoshop and by the printer driver.
> This is independent of printer brand or drivers.
> Canon's color management protocols are aracane and non-intuitive, compared
> to Epson. In my experience they are also somewhere between useless and
> pointless, which is a shame because Canon printers are capable of stunning
> results if you learn to overcome the probelmatic drivers.
> I strongly suspect software was to blame for your problems, but if you
> feel they are corrected by a new printer that is all that matters.

OK explain this as being "software" when using canon's own "easy print"
software (which totally bypasses the driver as the tech support guy
explained), one i9900 printer is magenta, the 8200 looks good and the new
replacement (I just plugged it in without changing anything and made
another print) also looks good?

It's not that "I feel" they are corrected by replacing the printer they
are. I spend at least 15 hours doing research on this and now really
understand how to setup the canon drivers (your right the documentation is
awful) and only then did I start talking to canon support. Again I know
=YOU= think it was I had PS set to an ICC profile and had ICM enabled in
the canon driver as well but that isn't what happened.

I was posting this in an attempt to tell people that they shouldn't assume
the manufacturers can NEVER make a mistake manufacturing a product, which
is what you seem to believe? Might not be a comon problem but for anyone
who is pulling their hair out trying to figure out why one printer works
perfect and the other prints weird colors, this CAN happen.
--

Stacey
Anonymous

> On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 17:24:58 -0800, "MarkĀ²" <mjmorgan(lowest even
> number here)@cox..net> wrote:
>

>>"rafe bustin" <rafeb@speakeasy.net> wrote in message

>>> You say it was defective... yet it had good nozzle checks?
>>> How do you explain that?
>>
>>There are plenty of possible defects besides bad nozzles.
>
> OK, please explain how an inkjet printer firing on all
> nozzles can have a hardware defect causing a magenta cast.

Printer nozzles are controlled by communications from the firmware, and other factors.
If the chip which contains firmware instructions is faulty, there could be all sorts of
odd problems.
This is just one thought, but there are no doubt other possibilities.
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 12:24:18 PM

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 01:44:27 -0500, Stacey <fotocord@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I was posting this in an attempt to tell people that they shouldn't assume
>the manufacturers can NEVER make a mistake manufacturing a product, which
>is what you seem to believe? Might not be a comon problem but for anyone
>who is pulling their hair out trying to figure out why one printer works
>perfect and the other prints weird colors, this CAN happen.

It's just an uncommon scenario is all.
I believe you had a bad printhead, if not
a bad printer.

There are different failure mechanisms for
thermal heads (Canon, HP, Lexmark) vs. piezo
heads (Epson.) I've never seen the problem
you described in any Epson I've owned (five
so far...) but I have seen it occasionally
with various thermal print heads under
devolpment -- in my day job.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 12:33:01 PM

Thanks, Stacey, for the info and reporting it back here - glad you got
it fixed ... (*I* believed you :)
February 14, 2005 2:56:13 AM

Brian C. Baird wrote:

> The printer was possessed. Burn it.

Nah, they'll just resell it as "refurbished"... :-)

--

Stacey
Anonymous

In article <37apbdF5a3qkcU3@individual.net>, fotocord@yahoo.com says...
> Brian C. Baird wrote:
>
> > The printer was possessed. Burn it.
> >

> Nah, they'll just resell it as "refurbished"... :-)

They had better exorcize that thing first!
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/
!