Stock SandyBridge cooler question - if you have one plz read

someone19

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
I've been lurking and I've got my own newegg wishlist working, but I'm wondering about the CPU cooler that comes with the i7 & i5 K chips.
My current plan is to try the integrated graphics, as I don't play games, and the computer is in the bedroom, so I don't want an obnoxious fan running. I'm going to probably use a mATX H67 board <- no overclocking. The CM 212 is my choice for an aftermarket cooler, primarily for cost and noise, but if the stock cooler isn't loud, then I might just drop it from the list. I've eyeballed the Fractal Design Define R3 for a case, but might reuse my current full tower case (another post later on).
I can't seem to find any reviews where they comment on the noise of the stock cooler; If I overlooked one, a link would be appreciated.

Thanks for looking

Mutt x

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
My 2 cents (and its about worth that) is that since noise level is so subjective try it out with the stock cooler. If its too loud you can pick up another cooler. In the past you could save on shipping if you bought more items at once but most retailers calculate shipping for each item separately now.

Maybe someone will give you some info on the decibels.

someone19

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Its a very worthy $.02 I was thinking that too, but I really don't want to have to do things twice. I'm working on putting together a fairly strict $1000 limit build. I don't really want to nickle and dime the extras...
I appreciate your thoughts.