Just bought a new CPU and it freaks out on me when...

briansklein

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
I just bought the new AMD Phenom II x4 965 stock 3.4 no OC'ing and when i play games at max settings my CPU freaks out i get a total freeze and have to manually restart my comp. Im thinking its my motherboard. I have a Biostar TA870+ and their site says that my OPN: HDZ956FBGMBOX isnt compatable with the motherboard. I asked the tech guy where i bought it and he said as long as its an AMD Chipset itll work just fine. OK so is he wrong or.....

Solution
The guys advice is on the bad side. You can't just generalize a chipset. O well it an amd chipset should be fine. Sound like he doesn't know much about hardware. I am not a fan of Biostar boards at all. I would ditch that board.

christop

Distinguished
The guys advice is on the bad side. You can't just generalize a chipset. O well it an amd chipset should be fine. Sound like he doesn't know much about hardware. I am not a fan of Biostar boards at all. I would ditch that board.

Solution

briansklein

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
I'm thinking about buying the MSI 890FXA-GD65. From what I can tell they run most all of the newer AMD CPU's no problem. Whats your thoughts on that. And yeah wont be buying another Biostar mobo again.

briansklein

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
Ah very cool. Heard allot about the new bulldozer. Hope they come out with games that will support it soon. Although I have hear rumors that you can configure the cores or something to run as a quad or roids. Not sure if that's a factual rumor but that would indeed be pretty hot.