Sign in with
Your question

Compatible, Good System?

Last response: in Systems
March 25, 2011 12:36:48 AM

Hey everyone--have to say, I've looked on these forums many times but never created an account until now. I'm finally looking to replace my ass-old 2006 Athlon X2 build for a spiffy new computer. I've done some research, and I think this build would work out well--however I am interested to know if anyone feels there are better parts/more compatible for this build.

I am a primarily a gamer, but I like to keep my options open for other multimedia platforms. I am decently knowledgeable about computers/hardware, but have never over-clocked, which is what I am interested in now--and only be cause the Asus MB I have selected below has an 'easy' option for OC in its new BIOS; this is as far as I am willing to go in tampering with over-clocking.

Currently, I am looking at:

POWER: 700w OCZ
CASE: Cooler Master HAF 922M Mid-Tower (2x 140mm fans, 1x 120mm fan)
MOBO: Asus P8P67 LE B3 Intel P67
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K (4-core)
CPU FAN: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
RAM: Corsair Dominator GT 8192MB PC15000 DDR3 (4x2GB)
HD: Internal Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 2TB 7200 RPM
SC: Asus Xonar DG
GPU: 1 GB Radeon 4300/4500 series
- (I already have this GPU in my current build, will keep for a while.. just bought it 5-6 months ago :/  )

Blu-ray/inputs I already have as well.

I'm primarily concerned if the RAM is a good fit for my build/needs, and also if anyone knows of issues with some of my selected parts.

Tom's Hardware rocks--thanks guys.

More about : compatible good system

March 25, 2011 12:48:47 AM

Well what resolution do you game at?...I think you can easily settle for a cheaper CPU like an i5, i3 as well as a less powerful CPU (and from a better brand like Corsair, seasonic...etc) and in the end get a better high end GPU. However this depends on the games you play, what other tasks you do, what performance you expect and what resolution you game at.

BTW what kind of audio hardware/sound system do you have/use?
m
l
March 25, 2011 1:01:04 AM

I'm aiming for nice, but not mega graphics at this point--I will probably upgrade the GPU if I find my current card doesn't really cut it for what I'm looking for. Basically, I don't have a set resolution in mind; if I like it, I'll be OK with it. At this build I'm still sub-$1400 (with a new monitor I didn't even mention), so if I have to dish out another $100-150 for a good GPU if I need to later on it won't kill me.

My biggest problem right now is performance--sick of laggy transitions between alt-tabbing, cpu bottlenecks, and a BIG lack of RAM capability (I only have 2GB DDR2 right now).

I'm heavy into Starcraft 2 for now (which lags like hell on the absolute lowest settings on my build). If I can play it on this build with at least "High" settings I'll be happy. Like I said I will upgrade the GPU later on most likely.

I'm not sure what you mean by a better brand CPU--"as a less powerful CPU (and from a better brand like Corsair, seasonic...etc)".

My audio system is a simple 2.1 logitech--it's fits my needs for now. I am looking into a new sound system in the future but my current apartment isn't really designed for crazy sound equipment.
m
l
Related resources
March 25, 2011 1:47:13 PM

^My apologies. by less powerful CPU I meant PSU(Power Supply). I don't know what the hell I was thinking. Reason is that 700watt is too powerful for your needs. A 550-650watt should be more than enough.

Also, I don't think you need 8GB of ram. Once again, if you buy a quality set of 4GB of ram, you can save a lot, and get a higher quality (faster) ram. And in the end you'll be saving for a much better GPU which ultimately is the most important.

And lastly, for a "simple 2.1 Logitech" there is no need for a sound-card. First off, you will not notice a difference in my opinion, and secondly soundcards in modern Mobos are actually very good. Im using a 5.1 channel 650watt system with a self powered 500watt peak power JBL subwoofer and I'm using my motherboards soundcard and its sounds pretty dam good, im actually going to purchase a new soundcard very soon. I only notice a difference with a good soundcard (which i borrowed a friends to test) when I play music really loud and turn up the bass to high levels. So I think you can save money by not bothering with the soundcard.

So if you want, I can show you a list of parts you can get and show you can save a lot of $ and get more performance out of it. Up to you though :) 
m
l
March 25, 2011 9:13:51 PM

Yeah... I've drastically changed my build after looking a bit deeper. Now I'm at--

MOBO: MSI P67-GD65
CPU: Intel i5 2500k
RAM: G. Skill Ripjaws X Series 8 GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600
GPU: XFX Radeon HD 6950 2GB

Saved a LOT of money this way... 2600k doesn't fit my needs; ASUS is overpriced and riddled with issues so I hear; Corsair is definitely good but G. Skill is similar and at half price (plus more mem per stick). So I went ahead and decided to just add that spiffy GPU :-p .

Good point on the sound card--I don't really need it (now). I actually already have the 700w, but I'm ok with that since I may look into upgrading further in the future (dual video cards, etc).

From what I've heard, more ram is better, and I want this system to relatively stand the test of time. I like to keep my options open. The Mobo I've selected maxes out at 2200mhz (O.C.) ram, so 1600mhz (O.C.) is OK with me, unless I'm missing something. Sounds good?

What parts did you think would work well? I am certainly interested in your opinion. I do want quality ram--this is probably the most important to me, but I think top of the line is a bit much for my needs (not looking forward to installing a RAM Heatsink/Fan). I basically chose the G. Skill because they used it in Tom's Hardware Dream machine.
m
l
March 26, 2011 3:45:02 AM

^Thats more like it :) .

-btw with the 8GB's of ram, if you really want it, it should be fine. More ram can't be a bad thing so go for it. I strongly agree with your decision to get a cheaper CPU, which will still easily perform for your gaming needs and cost less.
m
l
!