Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

5770 vs gtx460 fermi

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 20, 2011 1:48:22 PM

hello i am going to upgrade from a 9800gt to either of these here are the 2 cards ive narrowed it down to-

The 5770- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
the gtx 460 fermi- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
which card is the best in terms of performance and features?
Here are my system spec in case you may suggest a different card

MSI 870A-G54 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W Continuous @40°C,80 PLUS Certified, Single 12V Rail, Active PFC "Compatible with Core i7,i5" Power Supply

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

So any tips/opinions/advice? thanks!

More about : 5770 gtx460 fermi

a c 130 U Graphics card
January 20, 2011 1:54:34 PM

dolloff said:
hello i am going to upgrade from a 9800gt to either of these here are the 2 cards ive narrowed it down to-

The 5770- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
the gtx 460 fermi- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
which card is the best in terms of performance and features?
Here are my system spec in case you may suggest a different card

MSI 870A-G54 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W Continuous @40°C,80 PLUS Certified, Single 12V Rail, Active PFC "Compatible with Core i7,i5" Power Supply

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

So any tips/opinions/advice? thanks!


Forget the 5770 the 460 kills it stone dead. Ah just noticed in your link that its a 460 SE your looking at. Thats somewhat differant to a non SE 460, take a look here http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gainward/GeForce_GTX...
Consider waiting about 5 days for the release of the GTX 560 if you want better performance.

Mactronix :) 
Score
0
January 20, 2011 1:56:21 PM

thanks, i also forgot to mention in my original post my price limit is about $200
Score
0
Related resources
January 20, 2011 1:57:59 PM

Also, would it be better to go with a non SE version of the 460?
Score
0
a c 144 U Graphics card
January 20, 2011 2:12:48 PM

dolloff said:
Also, would it be better to go with a non SE version of the 460?


basically it was like this:

GTX460 SE (256bit, 1GB RAM, 288SP) < GTX460 (192bit, 768MB RAM, 336SP) < GTX460 (256bit, 1GB RAM, 336SP)

GTX460 768MB is slightly faster than the SE one. but if you're getting GTX460 get the one that have 1GB memory without SE suffix. i think that the GTX460 SE meant to replace the one with 768MB ram. around my place i never see them anymore. it is either the normal one or SE one. you can also wait for GTX560 if you can add a bit more to your budget. so far the rumor i heard about the card is good (such as pre-overclocked card will be clocked at 1Ghz out of the box).
Score
0
January 20, 2011 2:21:32 PM

So would upgrading the card create any bottlenecks in my system?
Score
0
a c 144 U Graphics card
January 20, 2011 2:24:15 PM

i don't think so. you got nice cpu in your box :) 
Score
0
January 20, 2011 2:30:53 PM

Ok thanks, browsing newegg I just noticed an Evga gtx465 fermi superclocked for 179.99 after rebates, would this also be a good choice?
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
January 20, 2011 2:35:45 PM

dolloff said:
Ok thanks, browsing newegg I just noticed an Evga gtx465 fermi superclocked for 179.99 after rebates, would this also be a good choice?


No, the 465 is based off GF100, very hot.

The 460's are based off GF104, power optimised and produce less heat with very good performance.

Stick with the 460.
Score
0
January 20, 2011 2:39:23 PM

Ok thanks I'm not the best when in come to graphics cards
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
January 20, 2011 2:41:22 PM

dolloff said:
Ok thanks I'm not the best when in come to graphics cards


It's no problem, these intricacies are lost on a good number of people, only the real tech-heads will properly know the differences and ramifications of such differences.

Anyway yeah, avoid the 465.

Personally, i have a Palit 460, it's really really good. You won't regret buying one.
Score
0
a c 216 U Graphics card
January 20, 2011 2:43:37 PM

What monitor do you use? The 5770 can be purchased a lot cheaper than a 460, but it's also lower performance.

The main issue is what performance you need, and that can be determined by your monitor resolution. Also, are you wanting to get as much power from your system as you can for $200, or are you looking to spend only as much as you need for good performance?
Score
0
January 20, 2011 2:48:25 PM

I'm gettin a new monitor at the same time probably an asus vw245h but yeah think ive picked my card an evga gtx 460 tr it come with just cause 2 and is $189.99 after rebate
Score
0
January 20, 2011 2:49:52 PM

And I don't need to spend all 200$ just want good performance that can run pretty much everything
Score
0

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
January 20, 2011 2:52:45 PM

Good choice.

Remember that there will be an amount of headroom for overclocking the GPU too for extra performance.
Share
a c 216 U Graphics card
January 20, 2011 2:53:59 PM

dolloff said:
I'm gettin a new monitor at the same time probably an asus vw245h but yeah think ive picked my card an evga gtx 460 tr it come with just cause 2 and is $189.99 after rebate


For the new monitor, I agree, the gtx 460 1gb is a good card for you and as everyone has already mentioned, avoid the 768mb and SE versions.
Score
0
January 20, 2011 2:54:01 PM

Best answer selected by DOlloff.
Score
0
January 20, 2011 3:51:58 PM

so there wont be any power issues either do you think?
Score
0
a c 144 U Graphics card
January 20, 2011 4:00:09 PM

should be fine. you have plenty of power with your PSU. not sure about the quality though since i never heard the brand
Score
0
a c 216 U Graphics card
January 20, 2011 4:00:18 PM

You have more than enough power.
Score
0
January 20, 2011 4:01:15 PM

ok thank you guys for all your help
Score
0
a c 271 U Graphics card
January 20, 2011 6:01:09 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!