Asus P9X79 Pro - Win 7 install issues

alex200274

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
Hello

I purchased an ASUS P9X79 Pro and I have been having a terrible time trying to install Windows 7 (x64). I’m not completely inept when it comes to building PC’s but this is my first UEFI motherboard, and purchase in three years.

For reference my new kit is:
Asus P9X79 Pro
i7 3930K
32GB (8X4GB) DDR 3 1600MHz G.Skill CL9 Ripsaw Z
OCZ 240GB Vertex 3 SSD
Sapphire ATI 7950 HD
Coolermaster Gold 1200W PSU

The problem I’m facing is issues trying to install Windows and I cannot tell if it’s my hardware or if it’s the mobo or both. But where possible I have tried my new hardware on my other working PC (Asus P6TSE) and they appeared fine, but obviously I cannot try the 3930K on that Asus board.

On my new set-up when trying to install windows I’m setting up through the UEFI installation process. Initially I let windows automatically setup the EFI/GPT partitions and then I choose disk part to manually do the process myself. On all attempts (12 and counting) windows either failed the install or installed then failed at a later date after some windows updates.
The problem I’m facing is during the install and it’s first reboot windows fails to start and returns with various error codes, some are 0xC0000225 or there other ones which I fail to remember are due to windows boot loader stating it’s corrupt. Either way when you boot and it ends up in that screen there is no way to pass that point except for a reinstall (the boot gets stuck in a loop returning to that error screen no matter what you do).
I have tried installing windows on the p9X79 with a different graphics card in and did not use my 7950, as a test I was using my 5950HD and it installed smoothly but ended up with the same issues once installed and failing to reboot correctly. I also tried flashing the bios with previous versions and later versions, all with mixed results.

On occasions where windows did install correctly I was able to load the mother board drivers etc, but it would eventually fail on various reboots returning the same error (0xC0000225) with no option to correct the windows boot loader. On successful windows 7 installs it would fail after windows updates, or not let me install SP1 no matter what attempts I tried – a complete mixed bag of failed install/win update scenarios.

What I want to understand is could I have corrupted the UEFI boot options stored in NVRAM?

If I have a UEFI board does anyone know if the Asus p9X79 can install windows normally bypassing the UEFI process or could this cause problems since the board and bios I assume is catered towards UEFI?

Could the issue be setting up a GPT disk on my SSD?

alex200274

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
Installing by using DVD. - windows 7 (pre SP1)

I did install one session with only 4 sticks (not one butter sticks) but problems eventually occur with failing to start on reboot (windows boot manager) -message about 'Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause...blah, blah'. However doing tests by swapping the memory is a bit difficult as my Phanteks PH-TC14PE covers all the RAM, so has to be completely removed to change RAM. The reboot problems appears to be temperamental - ie sometimes straight after a fesh install or several hours later after running updates.

Might just RMA the the whole set-up.

Are there any issues with SSD and setting up a GPT partition?

I'm new to UEFI installations and could UEFI Windows Boot Manager be corrupt? When I have removed all hard drives, flashed the bios, and cleared the CMOS it still shows in the BIOS. How do I remove it or know if it has been cleared on a fresh install? When I did my first installation it did not exist in the bios.

alex200274

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
Installing by using DVD. - windows 7 (pre SP1)

I did install one session with only 4 sticks (not one butter sticks) but problems eventually occur with failing to start on reboot (windows boot manager) -message about 'Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause...blah, blah'. However doing tests by swapping the memory is a bit difficult as my Phanteks PH-TC14PE covers all the RAM, so has to be completely removed to change RAM. The reboot problems appears to be temperamental - ie sometimes straight after a fesh install or several hours later after running updates.

Might just RMA the the whole set-up.

Are there any issues with SSD and setting up a GPT partition?

I'm new to UEFI installations and could UEFI Windows Boot Manager be corrupt? When I have removed all hard drives, flashed the bios, and cleared the CMOS it still shows in the BIOS. How do I remove it or know if it has been cleared on a fresh install? When I did my first installation it did not exist in the bios.

astevens

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
Hey alex,
I have the same motherboard and the exact same issue with the UEFI installation of Windows 7. What is happening in my scenario.

1. Created a UEFI USB Windows 7 x64 installation (no SP1) on a 4GB USB thumb drive.
2. Boot from UEFI USB and install windows 7 on a freshly formated 160GB SSD
3. Windows installation completes and I boot into Windows and create a user account.
4. Install ethernet drivers and reboot.
5. Reboot succesful
6. Install intel chipset software either from intel.com or off of ASUS dvd (tried both on 2 seperate installations)
and reboot.
7. Get error code 0xc0000225....

My theory is that the Intel chipset installation is installing a different version of the Intel AHCI driver which in turn is changing the drive naming and therefore the Windows bootloader is no longer able to see the drive. Because it is an UEFI install you cannot use conventional ways to repair it like bootrec /fixboot /scanos etc...

Are you getting the error after installing the drivers too?

rjp11

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
I had the same issues after following a similar path to alex200274. I moved my SSD from the Marvel SATA port to the Intel one and disabled Marvel in the UEFI/BIOS. Then I rebooted and ran the recovery option. It's working reliably now so if you don't need those ports it's worth a try.

rjp11

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
I didn't have any noticeable performance issues and I wasn't planning on using RAID but whilst I was looking into tweaking performance I noticed that the BIOS was in fact booting off a USB stick I'd stuck in earlier. Once the stick was taken out I get back to having to attempt a repair on boot before booting normally and getting into Windows. I'll have a go at your instructions and post my results but it may be a while as between work and girlfriend I don't have that much time each night :)

rjp11

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
I was wrong about the USB thing, I misunderstood the UEFI BIOS screen. I don't have an MBR as it installed with GPT which is why I skipped that part. My system boots fine except for maybe 1 in 25 times when I get the 0xc0000225 error. At this point I can select Repair which fails to run and puts me back on the same menu. If I then select boot normally then it works every time. I re-enabled the Marvel controller a few days ago and it's had no effect.

I've got tomorrow off work so I'm going to spend some time looking into this in more detail. I'll post back if I have anything interesting to report.

supportcogit

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
I had the same issue. As stated in previous post - the issue is with the Marvel Controller on the motherboard. To avoid install and boot errors and eventually still utilize all Sata Ports Proceed as follows. User Sata6G_1 or 2 for your Primary hard drive. Disable The Marvel ATA Controller in the Bios (Temporarily). Proceed with the Windows 7 Install as Normal. (Ensure no required install devices such as a CD Rom is plugged into the Marvell SATA6G_E1 or E2 ports as of course this is disabled)

So here’s where the problem has the potential to come back in… Re-Enable the Marvel Controller in the Bios however ensure that you DISABLE the OPROM option for this device. (This removes The Marvel Controller from the Boot options list yet still gives you the ability to utilize these two 6GB Sata3 ports for data storage drives from the OS once installed).

bikeracer4487

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009

I seem to be having very similar issues to the OP installing Windows 7 on a P9X79 Deluxe and OCZ Vertex 3 SSD. I looked at your instructions but they seem catered to Gigabyte boards and RAID setups (which I don't plan on using). I have been installing Windows by booting to my DVD drive in UEFI mode and installing from there. I can create a bootable USB to install from, but I didn't think that was necessary.

Actually it's centered towards ASUS with Gigabyte references.

The 'problems' with using the Windows DVD + Flash Drive (or other media) is I've seen reports where once folks removed their Flash Drive Windows failed to run. Therefore, I only recommend the Flash Drive installation as I've posted.

Further, ASUS recently updated their X79 Intel RSTE drivers so therefore use the latest listed on ASUS's site. The correct 64-bit driver will be located:
Flash Drive':\...RSTe_V300xxxx_XPWin7\RSTe_V300xxxx_XPWin 7\Driver\Disk\64bit\iaStorA.inf

bikeracer4487

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
Huh, strange, never had THAT problem. Anyways, I have the RSTE driver sitting on a flash drive already, but I'd been trying to install it AFTER the install... I'll try loading it before the install and see if that helps...

Basically the RSTE Control panel and drivers to no where. The simplest test to know if the RSTE is installed properly is to change the Intel SATA -> RAID and the resulting BSOD confirms it's improperly installed.

I can change back and forth from AHCI to RAID with no issues other than watching the different drivers (RAID & AHCI) loading each time...

Don't over think the Guide. The entire reason I recommend SATA -> RAID is that you are forced to install the OS properly and Windows cannot sneak in the wrong drivers.

So 'yes' you could use the AHCI driver IF SATA -> AHCI, but if you move too quick you've screwed the pooch again...

bikeracer4487

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
Well...that did the trick. Windows is installed with no error messages at start-up and no hanging on the "Starting Windows" screen... Unfortunately, at one point during installing Windows Updates, Explorer just died and left me with no start menu, taskbar, or Ctrl+Alt+Del screen. I hit the power button to let it shut down, but got a blue screen...since then it's wanted to run chkdsk on startup, but I guess chkdsk got corrupted because it can't run, and I also can't install any more Windows Updates or upgrade to Professional without getting error messages...ugh... Now trying to see if this is fixable or if I need to reinstall Windows...AGAIN...