Somebody Please Help Me!

mcorkum

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2011
This might be a long one - but here goes.

I bought 4 computers recently from a local computer store, one for me, one for my brother and two more for friends. My friends and I got it just before the recall, and we're waiting on boards to come in. My brother got lucky and scored an updated board.

My brothers computer is the problem. All of the other systems are running perfectly - which is what is so very puzzling.

Here's the system:
Intel® Core i7-2600K Processor
Gigabyte PA67-UD5-B3 Board
8GB Patriot G2 Ram
ATI 6970HD Video Card
WD 2TB Black HD
OCZ Vertez 2 SSD
XFX 850W Modular Power Supply
Windows 7, pro, 64bit

Here's the problem. My brother started getting random reboots and lock-ups. So we took it back to the store.

The tech at the store ran memtest, and fur mark / Prime95 overnight, no issues. No overheating, nothing. All the drivers are up to date, and nothing is overclocked or tweaked in any way. The tech suspected it might be a device my brother has plugged into it and gave it back.

My brother takes it home, and the same stuff starts happening. Totally random. We swap EVERYTHING that's plugged into the computer, keyboard, monitor, mouse, even the power cable.

Nothing, same problem.

I decide to bring it to my house - Hook it up to my stuff. I have the exact same computer (minus the B3 board). Everything seems ok, it runs all day until my wife starts watching something on youtube and it hangs, you can hear the audio clipping. I reboot and then it hangs again. I didn't get any random reboots - but I gave up after the freezing..

I've tried everything I can think of, drivers, fail-safe bios defaults, etc.. etc...

I check the event viewer and I don't really see anything weird. Kernal Power error, but most of the time that's just from me having to turn the power off when it hangs.

It seems like a power problem, but the tech run it for 2 days straight without an issue... I'm at a loss...

I'm going to pull my hair out some more now... please... any suggestions...

mcorkum

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2011
I tried that and it didn't work.

I finally just started pulling stuff out and swapping it with other things. Turns out it was a bad stick of RAM.

I'm not sure why it didn't happen when the tech was running FurMark and Prime95, Memtest was clean too.

All I know is that I swapped the RAM for a new set and everything is working fine now.

Thanks for the advice though!