Is my new Nvidia Geforce 460 768mb dying already?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckknn2this

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
Hello,
My fairly new Nvidia 460 is throwing out some weird numbers, is anyone familiar with these symptoms? What might they indicate? My system: AmD athlon 64x2 6000 (dual 3.02Ghz),Asustec M2N-Plus SLI (Nvidia nforce4 board) 4gb ram pc5300, evga nvid 460 768mb vid card. Card is couple months old, running normal stock numbers are: core 405mhz, shaders 810mhz and memory 1800mhz.
The thing has been running fine but when I cranked up the machine this morning the nvidia system monitors, the CPUID and CPU-Z reports showed some really shocking numbers:

gpu memory clock 135mhz
gpu graphic clock 50mhz
gpu temp 38c
gpu FB usage 2%
Usage 0%
rpm 1620rpm
cooler mode auto
cooler 40%
processor clock 101mhz

SO far there doesn't seem to be anything changing in the display, but I'm wondering now is this card getting ready to completely fail. I've been using the stock 260.99 drivers and today downloaded but haven't installed the new (1-18-2011) 266.58 drivers. But until this morning there didn't seem to be anything wrong with the card and when I power down at night I also kill the power at the surge protector.
So can anyone shed any light on this. Thanks

Solution

do you have problem when running games? if not i think there is nothing wrong with your card. here this is for you:

under furmark (gpu stress test):

running some videos:

GTX460 in idle:
if i'm not mistaken those are clocks for your card in idle mode. one thing you can do is run gpu-z and click the sensor tab. you should be able to see your gpu core freq, temp and etc in there. then try to run some application that will stress your card such as games or furmark. gpu-z should be able to read any changes to your core and clock freq. if you have MSI afterburner installed you can also see the clock speed in game using OSD

If the card is unstable and has random crashes and blue screens while gaming then yes but I will give you one suggestion and from there is up to you. The GTX 460 like many cards from both Nvidia and ATI in the past year have been of lower physical quality of the board and components compared to years prior. As a GTX 460 owner you need to take one step to insure that your card will last by attempting to keep the power vrm as cool as reasonably as possible. Tell us what brand and model your gtx 460 is but for some models you can remove the cooler and apply after market heatsinks to cool the mosftet stages. That is what I have done with mine and it is the Gigabyte version and they have a higher rate of failure than other models. Other cards like MSI ect have the same issues and you will have to do the same. The more cooling you have for the power vrm the better off the card will be for the long term.

If you read through enough forums and user reviews then you would know. Just spend 10 min reading on newegg and you would start to get a grasp of which cards tend to have more issues than others. I am a collector and often do research when I am going to make my next purchase as well.

Not all are the same design. The only design that is the same is the core and the fermware. There is a difference between the custom designs and the reference designs but for this generation they all have the same critical flaw. For the same power consumption as a GT200 a/b it is in a much smaller physical foot print with very little or no cooling to the vram and power vrm. Unlike most that only have memory and experience of the latest two or three generations then forget I maintain my knowledge of cards going back to the late 90s. Still have fond memories of my Diamond Viper 550 playing aoe2.

I have been at this since 2003 and started out on ancient junk and worked my way up. Some things that you can't find with a google search is experience of having had hands on. So link your card and we will go from there and I can maybe pull up some pics then give you a step by step guide how to do the mod. I never perform permanent mods unless I have no choice.

Edit: Typo

adampcman

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
@ nforce4max, you didn't answer my question...

I asked can you give me some link about graphic card brand rate of failure so i can know what brands make more durable cards! If there is no link, then say sorry i cant give you because it doesn't exist. Like i thought in the first place.

That kind of information is hidden from public, only the big companies have it and only for internal use (statistics like average MTBF and e.c.t.) I don't need step by step guide, am experienced, just new at this forum... Thank you for offered help! Very nice of you btw.

I am not a know it all brat, if you want a link then search for your self as I have done on my own time. Just go on newegg and read user reviews to start off with then look up the cards on other forums. That would very easily be a start. I am not going to hand feed a link if you want the info you have to try Earn it first.

lol, i'll see your viper 550 and raise you 1 Diamont stealth 3d 2000 (useless) and a Viper V330 (nvidia riva 128) which i got when quake 2 was released. I can honestly say i've never had a video card fail that wasn't due to my own mis-use (geforce2-mx didnt like my overclock and died). And considering i have overclocked every 3D card i have ever owned (about 8 different cards) thats a pretty good track record. hopefully when i upgrade this year ill have the same luck and whatever i get will last me a while. I think if you take good care of it, dont let it get to dusty, use a good PSU, and have good case airflow, a video card should last.

do you have problem when running games? if not i think there is nothing wrong with your card. here this is for you:

under furmark (gpu stress test):

running some videos:

GTX460 in idle:

Solution

That isn't the oldest thing I got around. The oldest part that I had belonged to a 8086 era machine and was a ram expansion card. Had the retail box, manual, and yes the driver on a 5 1/4 floppy. That was a cool card and shame that I didn't use it even though it was long enough that it couldn't have fit in most cases that you would run across today.

ckknn2this

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
Thank you RENZ496 , seeing those same numbers on your cpu-z report eased the panic, up until yesterday nothing like that had shown up on the nvidia system monitor panels or the cpu-z or any of the other system monitors so that was making me more than a bit nervous now that I've seen those on someone else's stuff I think I can relax. I do get in game problems but they are probably caused by other gaming issues like Windows Live or memory problems. Once again, thanks a lot! :wahoo:

adampcman

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011

Man you are not very good at listening, because i speak to you but you twist my words and talk about something you think i said or think i am. Therefore i won't repeat myself. It's kinda sad that we write on the same language and you don't accept my common sense and logic. I hope that we will better understand each other on some other things in future.... ;) I wont respond to your possible reply, because i don't like arguing about nothing!

Status
Not open for further replies.