Advice on Graphic card for Minor HD editing Cant Decide

tohellnbak

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
Hello,

My pc is a Gateway LX6200-1 AMD Phenon 9500 quad 2.2 w/ 8G ram, Vista 64bit and a 400/500 PSU, the built in GPU is a shared Radeon HD3200 w/ 512 mem. I do a little bit of HD recording from console gameplay (Avermedia HD DVR HDMI PCIe crad) as well as video camera and such. I need to upgrade my graphics card to something dedicated but do not need to go over board on power and price. The HD3200 works fine but I am having issues with a stutter, freezing video and laggy playback on preview... rendered videos come out fine. I just know the 3200 is tapping all my RAM as I need to reboot every 30 minutes if I am working on a large project with many vids opened in the workspace.
OK now to the question..

Would I benefit from a 1G Ram card or would a dedicated 512 be enough?
I have been looking at the Radeon 4670 1g DDR3, which honestly is in my current budget but people I have talked to say I need something more powerfull and modern and they recommend the GTX 460.. My issue isnt so much the money $50 diffrence between cards) but the draw on my PSU... the 4670 draws 59W as opposed to the GTX at 120ish as well as all the bells and whistles.. mind you.. I do not play PC games at all and I am talking about maybe editing birthday parties... recorded games, personal videos... stuff like that

If maybe someone can give me some advice on a acard or the memory issue... any maybe recommend some cards in the $75-$150 range, that would be sweet..

Thanks in advance...

~ John

tohellnbak

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
That was the initial card I was looking at... but I think it draws at least 3 times the power...and Im concerned about my power supply.. dont wanna start having to add things to add things to make one item work... I most likely wont be doing hardcore 3d editing either, just more plain and simple basic editing, like merging clips, adding small effects, stuff like that. The HD3200 I have now seems like it just needs a little kick in the ass to get going and once it does.... its fine.. just need something to walk over that hump, not jump over it and land on the next hill... if you know what I mean...

tohellnbak

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
Just want to give an update... went out and picked up a radeon 5670.. found one on sale at a PC store near me... anyways.. doesnt fit... w/ the fan, the thing is about 2 1/2 inches high... I have about a 2 inch clearance, if that.. know of any good quality low profile cards...?