Dell XPS 410 upgrade cpu vs gpu (for Shogun 2)

Hello everyone. I'm trying to run Shogun 2 on what is an outdated system, with limited $$$ for upgrades. System is a Dell XPS 410 from back in 06. Specs are as follows:

RAM: 4Gb 667 DDR2
cpu: Intel E6600 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo
gpu: Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT
Power Supply: 350W (with access to a 500W supply)
Monitor: ASUS 21.5 LED HDMI, 1920x1080 native resolution

When playing Shogun 2 I'm getting frame rates in the 8-18 range (8-12 on the campaign map) with graphic settings on medium and resolution decreased to 1440x900. GPU usage is 100%, while cpu 1 usage is 100% and cpu 2 is near zero on the campaign map (an obvious game multi-core optimization issue). The 3d battle map gets me better fps with gpu at 100% and cpu 1 and 2 near 80%.

I don't know how to interpret the maxed cpu and gpu loads. Would upgrading my gpu increase my fps in a high resolution, graphics intensive game, or will my cpu continue to be a bottleneck. If I upgrade to the quad core, should I get better performance from my existing gpu? Any insight or suggestions would be very appreciated.
1 answer Last reply
More about dell upgrade shogun
  1. Most games are more GPU intensive and you would probably see a better frame rate with newer graphics card, the 9500 GT is by no means powerful by today's standards. However, your CPU is also fairly weak, and for RTS games like Shogun II that can present a rather large bottleneck. Honestly, you probably should consider upgrading both for best performance. If you had to choose one, I'd say get a better graphics card, but do not expect to get 60+ FPS on high settings if you do, your CPU will probably bottleneck it down to a lower, but probably still playable frame rate.
Ask a new question

Read More

Prebuilt GPUs CPUs Dell Studio Xps Systems