Intel 2600K with H50 cooler overheating. HELP!!!!

bryan240g

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
Just got my board and cpu cooler installed. I am using Artic Cooling MX-2 thermal paste with the Corsair H50 cooler with an extra 120mm fan attached. Oh before it comes up I installed the thermal paste about a pea size on the cpu and then lightly spread it over the cpu with a credit card. The cooler was installed approx. 1 hour ago and is on secure with the parts in the kit. I screwed the hold down screws down evenly. Right now I am at idle and in the bios and my temps are at 42c. WTF!!! Is there a break in time or does that seem high? I haven't even overclocked it yet. Any ideas?

bryan240g

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
OK, so I loaded Win7 finally and my temps using real temp are as described in the screen shot. Do they look good at stock settings?

bryan240g

asantesoul

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
The cpu is not idle when it's in the bios..I have an H70 that keeps my chip idling around 28c in the OS...in the bios I'm usually around 34-36c..You want to pay more attention to your load temps, and not your idle..although idling temps are important, you want to determine how the chip heats up at load..use prime 95 to determine your load...And the H50 comes with pre-applied thermal paste...did you remove it?

bryan240g

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
Yes I had to remove the pre-applied thermal paste as it was on my old cpu/mobo. I cleaned the surface and even lightly lapped the surface of the cooler using 800/1500/2000 grit sand paper and then cleaned thoroughly. I reapplied the thermal paste(artic cooling MX-2) using the instructions oddly enough from the artic silver website. a thin line down the center of the cleaned cpu and then let the cooler squish it down.

asantesoul

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
I can't view the links your posting...well..at least for me when I try and access it in two browsers...perhaps provide the direct link to the images...the funny thing is some people have been able to get away with using the thermal paste again on another cpu...usually you want to wipe it off with a recommended solution or isop-alcohol and re-apply..but try and post the pics or direct links

asantesoul

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
I see..alright..those temps are not horrible to be honest..you have the oc genie doing the overclock for you @ 4200 mhz right? and the voltage is set to default by the oc? And, how long did you run prime95 to get those temps at load?

bryan240g

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
Actually I turned the OC Genie off and just adjusted the multiplier my self up to 42. I am running this question on various other forums and it was suggested to me that running the OC Genie sometimes unnecessarily ups cpu voltage, so he suggested going back to stock in bios and turning off the oc genie and just adjusting the multiplier.

asantesoul

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
yeah precisely..the oc genie function will try and get you a stable overclock with (what it thinks are) reasonable voltages...increasing the multiplier yourself and adjusting the voltage is the best route...if you think your temps are still too high..lower the voltage and try doing some testing to see if its stable if/when you decide to lower the voltage