Closed Solved

BIOS vs. Software Readings of Voltage

I recently purchased a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 and an AMD 960T. I'm working on my overclocking and I'm running into some anomalous voltage readings and I'm trying to decide what I want to trust so I'm looking for opinions or links about it.

In the BIOS my CPU Voltage is set to 1.450. I do have LLC enabled and set to the maximum value. I have disabled the Turbo settings.

HWMonitor reports (while running prime 95) voltages fluctuating between 1.49 -1.54 and CPU-Z agrees with it.

Should I consider my BIOS as knowing best or should I count these 2 separate utilities confirming each other?

Other suggestions & ideas?

QUICK EDIT: BIOS version is F5, the newest non beta version, shipped from newegg.
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about bios software readings voltage
  1. Best answer
    There's CPU voltage and there's the addition of offset voltages with LLC, so I tend to agree as described that your 'real' CPU voltage is indeed spiking.

Unless you're having non-OS related issues updating the BIOS has its risks, so its your call. Use only a BIOS level flash i.e. Q-Flash to update your BIOS.

The voltages in your BIOS don't show the correct voltages when your CPU is stressed.
  2. jaquith said:
    There's CPU voltage and there's the addition of offset voltages with LLC, so I tend to agree as described that your 'real' CPU voltage is indeed spiking.

Unless you're having non-OS related issues updating the BIOS has its risks, so its your call. Use only a BIOS level flash i.e. Q-Flash to update your BIOS.

The voltages in your BIOS don't show the correct voltages when your CPU is stressed.

Hmmm, I thought LLC was supposed to keep your CPU voltages "even" as a protection from Vdroop, I didn't think it was supposed to "spike" it. Do you suggest disabling it altogether for overclocking purposes or should I just drop the voltage in the BIOS down till it reads where I want it?
  3. To overcome a Vdroop the LLC will increase the voltage. Nice article, a quote "Load line calibration can cause your voltage to exceed what you set in the BIOS" -> http://www.masterslair.com/vdroop-and-load-line-calibration-is-vdroop-really-bad/

Frankly, I'm not a fan of the OC'ing Section or lengthy discussions in this section; RAM OC'ing sure. There's too many Pro/Cons/What If's for me to explain. Generally, yes I OC with LLC, Offset, and other voltages manually set, but I also keep all C-states and power savings Enabled; the OC is complex.

OC'ing Section -> http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-29.html then best to post in the AMD section.
  4. Best answer selected by spasmolytic46.
  5. This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Ask a new question

Read More

Gigabyte Overclocking BIOS Software Motherboards