BIOS vs. Software Readings of Voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 2, 2011
I recently purchased a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 and an AMD 960T. I'm working on my overclocking and I'm running into some anomalous voltage readings and I'm trying to decide what I want to trust so I'm looking for opinions or links about it.

In the BIOS my CPU Voltage is set to 1.450. I do have LLC enabled and set to the maximum value. I have disabled the Turbo settings.

HWMonitor reports (while running prime 95) voltages fluctuating between 1.49 -1.54 and CPU-Z agrees with it.

Should I consider my BIOS as knowing best or should I count these 2 separate utilities confirming each other?

Other suggestions & ideas?

QUICK EDIT: BIOS version is F5, the newest non beta version, shipped from newegg.

Solution
There's CPU voltage and there's the addition of offset voltages with LLC, so I tend to agree as described that your 'real' CPU voltage is indeed spiking.

Unless you're having non-OS related issues updating the BIOS has its risks, so its your call. Use only a BIOS level flash i.e. Q-Flash to update your BIOS.

The voltages in your BIOS don't show the correct voltages when your CPU is stressed.
There's CPU voltage and there's the addition of offset voltages with LLC, so I tend to agree as described that your 'real' CPU voltage is indeed spiking.

Unless you're having non-OS related issues updating the BIOS has its risks, so its your call. Use only a BIOS level flash i.e. Q-Flash to update your BIOS.

The voltages in your BIOS don't show the correct voltages when your CPU is stressed.

Solution
Dec 2, 2011

Hmmm, I thought LLC was supposed to keep your CPU voltages "even" as a protection from Vdroop, I didn't think it was supposed to "spike" it. Do you suggest disabling it altogether for overclocking purposes or should I just drop the voltage in the BIOS down till it reads where I want it?

To overcome a Vdroop the LLC will increase the voltage. Nice article, a quote "Load line calibration can cause your voltage to exceed what you set in the BIOS" -> http://www.masterslair.com/vdroop-and-load-line-calibration-is-vdroop-really-bad/

Frankly, I'm not a fan of the OC'ing Section or lengthy discussions in this section; RAM OC'ing sure. There's too many Pro/Cons/What If's for me to explain. Generally, yes I OC with LLC, Offset, and other voltages manually set, but I also keep all C-states and power savings Enabled; the OC is complex.

OC'ing Section -> http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-29.html then best to post in the AMD section.

Status
Not open for further replies.