Building a sandy bridge 2500k for gaming

guest911

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
Hi there... Since there are not productive replies on my previous thread so I've decided to make yet another one hopefully it's no spamming.
Maybe because of the "tittle" which I gave to my previous thread was pretty common so people would have thought that "HELL YEAH THAT'S THE SAME GUY WHOM WE'VE ANSWERED ALREADY, NO NEED TO VIEW THAT THREAD". :(

Please need your genius opinion and advices.
Here's my setup:

My "Sandy Bridge"
CPU
--Intel Core i5-2500K @ 3.30GHz
RAM
--4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 (CORSAIR)
Graphics
--2GB (2 x ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB) [Crossfire ON]
Hard Drives
--Western Digital Caviar Black or Blue 500GB
Optical Drives
--ASUS Black DVDRW (DRW-24B1ST)
Case
--Antec One Hundred (I'm not too sure about it).

UNDECIDED THINGS:
Motherboard
--NOT DECIDED
PSU
--NOT DECIDED

My range is 800-1000usd a "little less" or "little more" is okay.
Will be buying in end of this month or at the start of next month.
Importantly for GAMING
Needless parts: OS, keyboard, mouse, monitor, speaker. Hence wanna invest in the system as much as possible those things can be bought later on.
Preferred website www.newegg.com (comes first), www.tigerdirect.com (second)
Intel processor is highly preferred.
OC absolutely NOT stock speed is okay and I trust it.
CrossFire or SLI YES :D

Thank you very much. :)

truckthunder

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
First off, what resolution will you be gaming at? I really do not recommend 2x 5770's in Crosssfire - It's a dated card and the extra muscle you could garner from it is void when there are some pretty amazing single-GPU options out there that will certainly retain their validity farther into the future.

The GPU+Ram combo that mrhoshos96 linked is awesome. That is one of my favorite GPU's and MSI makes a card that has SO much overclocking headroom.

Case: That's up to you. I'd recommend getting everything together for your build, determining how much you have left over, and the deciding on which you want in that price bracket. As long as you're buying a quality brand case, it's all aesthetics and cooling.

You're getting a 2500K processor - I take it you want to overclock. Do not forget about a good heatsink! You can't go wrong with a CM 212+ in this price-range. If you want to get fancy or have money left over, I like the Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme (or even fancier is the Noctua D-14).

I agree 100% with mrhoshos96's choice of motherboard. Get it. Best P67 motherboard for the price.

For a power supply, if you go with a single card option (you totally should), I'd recommend finding a Corsair or Antec on sale. Again, kudos mrhoshos96, that's a great PSU. I'd also look at the following if you're into mail-in rebates:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005&cm_re=corsair_650-_-17-139-005-_-Product

Other than that, things look good. Enjoy the build!

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
You were given some very good advice... do NOT even consider the dual 5770s unless you have both cards just lying around. While CF and SLI are both fairly mature technologies, a single GPU setup will still be less trouble with gaming... and since you chose such a dated card, most decent single GPU setups will outperform your choice of GPUs.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice <----- Try that out for starters

I remember your previous thread, and I also know peeps on here gave you good advice.

guest911

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
Hi all.
mrhoshos96. Al things seems to be great and thank you for that. :) Can you please give a couple more choices of mobo if I go with intel or asus or msi instead?

truckthunder. I'm okay with stock speed as I know nothing about OC.

rodney_ws. Those 2x 5770 were suggested by someone else a month ago or so elsewhere.

Why_Me. I followed those instructions but not much people come to my thread and I wanted some quick suggestions respectively. Maybe because I had named my thread "1000$ gaming PC" which is a lot common on these forums.. :(