Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

New i7 2600K Build - What Would You Do Different?

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
March 25, 2011 8:11:51 AM

Hey all,

Below are the specs for my new build to be replace my old Q6600 rig for gaming and CAD (which uses Direct3D not OpenGL). Could you please give me an honest opinion of what you would change or keep. My budget is around $2300 AUS and I will be purchasing most parts from GreenBoxIT and UMart. Also I should add that in the not to distant future I will be adding a 27" 2560x1440 for my CAD work.

CPU: i5 2500K [$248]
Case: BitFenix Shinobi Window [$100]
Motherboard: Asus P8P67 Pro [$231]
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4GB 1600mhz C9 1.5v [$117]
Graphics: 2 x HIS 2GB 6950s [$614] (shader unlocked and OCed)
SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 [$340] (out in a couple of weeks)
HDD: 2 x Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB in RAID 1
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C12P SE14 [$91] (for an approx. 4.5ghz overclock)
PSU: XFX 850W Black Edition [$208]
Optical: Sony DVD AD7240SGB [$28]

TOTAL: $2100

Appreciation for your comments.

More about : 2600k build

March 25, 2011 11:39:30 AM

rainwilds said:
CPU: i7 2600K [$358] (the CAD application I use is single-threaded so the i7 gives a little extra boost over 2500K I believe)
It will not get any significant boost over the i5 2500K. Same for gaming performance.
m
l
March 25, 2011 12:31:59 PM

WR2 said:
It will not get any significant boost over the i5 2500K. Same for gaming performance.

Taking a look at some reviews and scores for single-threaded apps like Super PI and Cinebench R10 appears to show only a 3% or so gain by using a 2600K. I'm still concerned though as I often ALT+TAB between CAD, Photoshop, Illustrator, Firefox whilst listening to music. Would the 2600K still be more beneficial?
m
l
Related resources
March 25, 2011 2:33:43 PM

Not to the tune of an extra 1/3 in cost.
i5 2500K will do all that you describe easily. The SysMark2007 Producitivity multi-tasking benchmark again shows a 3% difference.
m
l
March 25, 2011 5:39:20 PM

For $171 you might have picked a better PSU. That one got mediocre scores at JonnyGuru.com:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

Something like this:

http://greenboxit.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=713_427...

or this:

Why raid 0 for the storage drives? Seems to me like you would want to Raid 0 the Operating system SSD's because reliability is a non-issue with them, and Raid 1 or 5 your magnetic storage drives to gain some parity.

You might consider the Samsung f4 2tb drive, even though its only a 5400 rpm drive it has transfer rates comparable to the f3 1tb 7200rpm drive. If you raid 1 a pair of these you gain parity with the same storage capacity.

As far as the i7 2600k goes....WR2 is right about cost/performance. The 2600k @ $358 is 44.2% more expensive then the 2500k @ $248 while only adding a 2.4% increase in performance in 3dmark11. Imagine Daniel Day Lewis drinking 44.2% of your cpu milkshake through a long straw. This is what your doing to your build.
m
l
March 25, 2011 11:12:00 PM

WR2 said:
Not to the tune of an extra 1/3 in cost.
i5 2500K will do all that you describe easily. The SysMark2007 Producitivity multi-tasking benchmark again shows a 3% difference.

Yeah true, 30% extra in costs is not justified by 3% performance increase.
m
l
March 25, 2011 11:26:49 PM

3lvis said:
For $171 you might have picked a better PSU. That one got mediocre scores at JonnyGuru.com:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

Something like this:

or this:

Why raid 0 for the storage drives? Seems to me like you would want to Raid 0 the Operating system SSD's because reliability is a non-issue with them, and Raid 1 or 5 your magnetic storage drives to gain some parity.

You might consider the Samsung f4 2tb drive, even though its only a 5400 rpm drive it has transfer rates comparable to the f3 1tb 7200rpm drive. If you raid 1 a pair of these you gain parity with the same storage capacity.

As far as the i7 2600k goes....WR2 is right about cost/performance. The 2600k @ $358 is 44.2% more expensive then the 2500k @ $248 while only adding a 2.4% increase in performance in 3dmark11. Imagine Daniel Day Lewis drinking 44.2% of your cpu milkshake through a long straw. This is what your doing to your build.

Thanks for your detailed response. I have changed the PSU to the XFX 850 Black Edition. It's certainly much better than the Silverstone I had. Changed the 2600K to the 2500K; 3% gain is not worth it. A going to leave the Samsung F3s but place them in RAID 1 instead. The F4s though larger storage more expensive and slower. What do you think of the rest of the system?
m
l

Best solution

March 27, 2011 1:20:24 AM

Case should work fine.

Motherboard is made by a reputable manufacturer. May want to consider waiting a bit more before buying since the Z68 Express chipset is coming soon.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z68-express-lucidlo...

Memory: +1 for G Skill, but why not fill all the memory slots on your motherboard. 16 Gb may seem like a lot of memory, but its not uncommon for a high end workstation. Memory is dirt cheap now ....who knows if the triple disaster earthquake/tsunami/nuclear fallout in japan will affect memory prices in the future?

Graphics: 6950 2GB is an excellent value....but:
1.) HIS is not at the top of my customer service list. Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, XFX in that order.

2.) Crossfire 2 of these and one of them tends to get really hot due to restricted airflow.....look into an aftermarket cooler for the card in the top position. Something like this:

http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/vga/18/accelero-xtrem...

SSD: The OCZ Vertex 3 is bleeding edge fast, but also bloody expensive. I'm guessing that the one your eying is the 120GB version making it ~$3/GB vs the average Corsair Sandforce SSD ~$2/GB. Best to wait for some reviews of that model, so far the only one that was reviewed is the 240GB version.

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C12P SE14 is a very good cooler, but not at that price. For a bit more you can get a NH-D14.

http://www.megabuy.com.au/noctua-manufacturer-noctua-co...

Optical drive: I'm in denial that DVD is a Dead format....I only use it to load the OS and a couple of games, regret not buying an external one ....and yet every build I do ends up having a DVD burner with lightscribe.
March 27, 2011 4:54:20 AM

Thanks again for your response. Not many others have here!

Quote:
May want to consider waiting a bit more before buying since the Z68 Express chipset is coming soon.

Read the article that you linked to regarding the Z68. Certainly brings some interesting new features. Pretty much merges the H67 and P67. Would be great if you do a lot of video encoding/decoding and would like to go cheap with SSD caching. Can't see it be too beneficial for me.

Quote:
+1 for G Skill, but why not fill all the memory slots on your motherboard. 16 Gb may seem like a lot of memory, but its not uncommon for a high end workstation. Memory is dirt cheap now ....who knows if the triple disaster earthquake/tsunami/nuclear fallout in japan will affect memory prices in the future?

The CAD program I use does eat my RAM now so it may well be useful to just rack out the four DIMMs. 4x4GB of Ripjaws is only $240 AUS. Plus I often run this beast program with Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver and Firefox. And true with the devastation in Japan (sorry heart for them all) memory is bound to go up in the near future.

Quote:
HIS is not at the top of my customer service list. Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, XFX in that order.

I will check the stock for the brands you listed.
Quote:

Crossfire 2 of these and one of them tends to get really hot due to restricted airflow.....look into an aftermarket cooler for the card in the top position.

Good point. Particular if they are going to be unlocked to 6970s. Looks like the Arctic brand is very good. The case I'm getting has a window with a fan mount. Will try with case fan first; if the cards (importantly the top one) are still too hot will get the Artic.

Quote:
The OCZ Vertex 3 is bleeding edge fast, but also bloody expensive. I'm guessing that the one your eying is the 120GB version making it ~$3/GB vs the average Corsair Sandforce SSD ~$2/GB. Best to wait for some reviews of that model, so far the only one that was reviewed is the 240GB version.

It is certainly expensive but I justify it because the constant loading of components in the CAD program. My goal is to run Windows, applications and a small 10gb component library off the SSD. The reviews of the 240GB are staggering. As you say I will wait to see what the benchmarks show for the 120GB.

Quote:
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C12P SE14 is a very good cooler, but not at that price. For a bit more you can get a NH-D14.

Some people are say that Sandy Bridge doesn't get hot enough to justify the NH-D14. Do you agree? The other thing is, I am dubious about the swirling of air that would occur with the NH-C12P pushing air back down over the CPU/RAM area. This may prevent efficient air-flow unlike the D14. Also a reviewer of the Shinobi case said the the clearance is 158mm whereas the D14 requires 160mm!

Quote:
I'm in denial that DVD is a Dead format....I only use it to load the OS and a couple of games, regret not buying an external one ....and yet every build I do ends up having a DVD burner with lightscribe.

I rarely use my optical drives. Plus I have so many lying around. My plan is to get a Blueray drive when I get my new monitor; so it would be pointless getting a DVD drive atm.

Thanks for your feedback again.
m
l
March 27, 2011 12:32:14 PM

rainwilds said:
Will try with case fan first; if the cards (importantly the top one) are still too hot will get the Artic.

You will know if that GPU goes up to ~90 C that's when the GPU throttles down to prevent damage.
rainwilds said:

Some people are say that Sandy Bridge doesn't get hot enough to justify the NH-D14. Do you agree? .
It looks like your planning a sizable overclock so yea I think that would justify an obscenely large heat sink. When you consider that electrical resistance in metal and transistors increases with temperature (the hotter your system is the higher you need to adjust the voltage to compensate), you find that every degree cooler adds to the longevity and stability of your system.
rainwilds said:

Also a reviewer of the Shinobi case said the the clearance is 158mm whereas the D14 requires 160mm!

LOL break out a file and file down the stand offs 2 mm.
rainwilds said:

My plan is to get a Blueray drive when I get my new monitor; so it would be pointless getting a DVD drive atm.

Blu-ray drives seem to be a great buy, until you find out you need expensive software to make them work.

m
l
April 3, 2011 6:09:22 AM

Best answer selected by rainwilds.
m
l