Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Dreaded Boot Loop Issue -Gigabyte Z68-UD3H-B

Last response: in Motherboards
February 27, 2012 4:26:35 PM

So I built my new rig, went to power it up, and have been cursed with the dreaded boot loop issue the Gigabyte boards seem to have. I followed the lead of may suggesting all sorts of stuff with no luck
-Reset CMOS
-Leave battery out
-Unplug for 8+ Hours with battery out and cmos reset
-Try 1 stick of ram, in different slots, multiple sticks,etc
-Unhook reset button
-Unhook all drives and everything else
-Swap power supplies
EVERYTHING

This board is toast.

Doesn't even give me a chance to get into the bios.

Should I return it and get the exact same board, or pass and get something else?

I bought from Microcenter, and I have the i7-2700K CPU

Other boards I was considering:
ASRock Z68 EXTREME4 GEN3 -Stocked at store, out of my price range, but would consider it.
ASRock Z68 PRO3-M - Stocked at the store
ASUS P8Z68-V LX - Stocked at the store
P8Z68-M Pro - Stocked at the store

Others that people seem to adore online but they don't sell at MC
ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 - Not Stocked at the store
ASUS P8Z68-V LE - Not Stocked at the store

I have the Antec 302 case with USB3.0 on the front, so I might loose that with some of these boards.

Any recommendations? Or should I try another of the exact same board?
a c 717 V Motherboard
February 27, 2012 4:34:28 PM

Gigabytes not the only MOBO with the problems of 'Boot Loops', it happens to 'em all.

However, for OC'ing I prefer ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 or P8Z68-V/GEN3 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...

You might want to try a full Breadboard i.e. moving it outside it's case and using the Stock HSF plus pulling all of the headers including power (use a screwdriver to close the PWR+/PWR-. I've seen a shorted mouse cause a boot loop.
Score
February 27, 2012 4:40:45 PM

jaquith said:
Gigabytes not the only MOBO with the problems of 'Boot Loops', it happens to 'em all.

However, for OC'ing I prefer ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 or P8Z68-V/GEN3 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...

You might want to try a full Breadboard i.e. moving it outside it's case and using the Stock HSF plus pulling all of the headers including power (use a screwdriver to close the PWR+/PWR-. I've seen a shorted mouse cause a boot loop.

I tried to boot it up outside the case but I didn't go through the shorting, I just set it up the same with the same cooler but outside the case.

Interesting that you mentioned the Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 I just found it and saw its reviews so I am considering that one.

I only spent $115 on promo for my Gigabyte so the Asus is at $185 which is sort of a big jump, but if its a rock solid board and people have had better luck it might be worth the extra.

If you had to choose which do you recommend of the others I had listed that are a bit less in price?
Score
Related resources
a c 717 V Motherboard
February 27, 2012 4:46:01 PM

Depends on if your plans include a high OC i.e. >4.5GHz, in that case yes it's worth the extra money. However, if 4.0GHz~4.4GHz is in the playbook then that opens the doors for greater selections. When I see an i7-2700K/i7-2600K I assume OC'ing is in the expectations list, and the ASUS's have proven themselves solid and with a lower vCore per OC.

Q - What exactly are your expectations?

Score
February 27, 2012 4:53:03 PM

jaquith said:
Depends on if your plans include a high OC i.e. >4.5GHz, in that case yes it's worth the extra money. However, if 4.0GHz~4.4GHz is in the playbook then that opens the doors for greater selections. When I see an i7-2700K/i7-2600K I assume OC'ing is in the expectations list, and the ASUS's have proven themselves solid and with a lower vCore per OC.

Q - What exactly are your expectations?

I want to do some overclocking, but nothing crazy. I have the Hyper 212+ Cooler, and I figure i'll try to suck a little extra out of the CPU, but nothing crazy. I don't game at all, and am planning on using integrated graphics for now.

I asked this question in a separate thread, but what happens if my case has a USB 3.0 on the front panel but the motherboard doesn't have an onboard 3.0, only 2.0? Will it still be able to plug in and be functional, just at the 2.0 speed?
Score

Best solution

a c 717 V Motherboard
February 27, 2012 5:06:33 PM

Depending on the case, e.g. the Corsair 500R comes with both the USB 3.0 20-pin (USB 3.0 header), and also comes with a 20-pin to USB 2.0 header adapter. So correct if the Case's USB 3.0 plugs are wired to USB 2.0 then indeed they're 'blue' USB 2.0 plugs (USB 2.0 speed).

Depending on your exact needs, here's a decent selection of budget Z68's -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...

'I've' got a thing about mATX MOBO's -- I'm not a fanboy.

You listed the ASRock Z68 EXTREME4 GEN3 which prompted my ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 or P8Z68-V/GEN3 advice.

If you can swing it the ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3.
February 27, 2012 5:17:52 PM

Best answer selected by itakey.
Score
February 27, 2012 5:19:04 PM

Thanks Jaquith.
I also compared a lot of those exact same boards. Now the questions is do I just try another one of the exact same board, or bite the bullet and spend on the ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 or ASRock Z68 EXTREME4 GEN3. Either of these 2 boards better than the next in any way?

Anyone think that Gigabyte issue is specific to individual boards, or it is much more than that and I should just go Asus instead?
Score
a c 717 V Motherboard
February 27, 2012 7:33:06 PM

IMO in the long run, assuming the root cause is the MOBO itself -- I'd get the ASUS. I 'get' the money, but I too get the PITA this is and down the pike you'll be happier.

All in all, even though I myself am RMA'ing an ASUS X79 as we speak, I have had less overall incidences with ASUS than any other. There's a close industry standard of ~2% 0-30 day failure rate on any of the MOBOs. The best MOBO's are typically ASUS, the best service EVGA -- also an excellent choice.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
February 28, 2012 3:11:15 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!