Screen flicker when using 2 screens

Ok so here is the deal :

I decided to install my second screen and it works fine at stock clocks but when overclocked I get massive flickering on both screens (single 5850). I know this is a known issue but I was told this was fixed months ago with a driver update. Anyone know how to fix this issue w/o having to mess with the GPU's bios? I'm not really going to flash this card when both screens should be working fine regardless of the clocks.

Any help is much appreciated :)

Solution

What software are you using to overclock? If it's MSI Afterburner, I believe I had to not assign a 2D profile. If you have one assigned to 2D, it messes up. I believe after I removed my 2D assignment, I had to reboot or set the CCC back to stock for it to go back to normal. Afterward, I applied the 3D profile only, and everything was good.

wiinippongamer

Distinguished
What are you setting the card at? Are you using the latest drivers? it should jump to 400/900 when connecting the 2nd monitor to avoid flickering, I have my 5850 at 830/ 1100 only for 3d mode with afterburner profiles , on stock volts also using dual monitors and never had any flickering.

wiinippongamer

Distinguished
Tried with the 10.12s? It's not the card's nor AMD's fault for flickering when heavily overclocked, after all what matters is that everything works flawlessly when the card is at factory specs, bugs that come from OCing is not a reason to complain.

To what extent you're OCing it? I remember setting mine at 950/1200 for testing purposes, and I think I saw some flickering aswell, 900/1200 wouldn't give flickering but in the end I leave it at 830/1100 cause I'm not comfortable with overvolting, guess the only way is to back down your overclocking somewhat, The bug the drivers were supposed to fix was the idle clock flickering, and it was solved since 10.5 by increasing the idle clocks when more than 1 monitor is being used, it isn't supposed to prevent bugs from overclocking.

Your not comfortable with overvolting because you most likely have never tried, had a card go bad or you heard about someone having an issue. I have been overvolting my card since the day I purchased it and it has not skipped a beat. As long as you keep the temps low you will be fine. Of course the make and model will determine how far you can push it, here is what my card achieve during these nice cold days :

1Ghz_Jan_2011.png

The problem that I am having is the fact that no matter what clock I set it to it flickers unless at stock. 800/1100 flickers bad and that is not even considered an OC IMHO since the card can do 850/1250 at stock volts.

Ill try the 10.12's + hotfix to see if that fixes the issue, thx for the suggestion ;)

I guess I left that one out :D

Or it could be the fact that overvolting/oc'ing at that res results in little to no gain. Anyways the 10.12's didn't help, at 800/1100 I get flickering. I guess I need to flash the bios in order to push the card to it's limits w/ dual screens unless someone else has a better idea.

What software are you using to overclock? If it's MSI Afterburner, I believe I had to not assign a 2D profile. If you have one assigned to 2D, it messes up. I believe after I removed my 2D assignment, I had to reboot or set the CCC back to stock for it to go back to normal. Afterward, I applied the 3D profile only, and everything was good.

Solution

Thanks, that helped a bunch ;)

The only drawback is the fact that the card will run warmer since it won't down-clock but nothing to worry about, till summer that is :D