Motherboards supporting ddr5

Status
Not open for further replies.

adriangonz

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
Hello there,
I am currently unsure of the choices I am making with my mobo. I have an ASUS p5kpl-am running on Core 2 Duo 2.8ghz, with a 600w PSU, and 1 2gb ddr2 RAM with 320gb HDD, I badly need a video card to run high tier games on 1600 resolution or 1080p, any suggestions? Games like Starcraft II, Crysis are my thing. I am currently confused with what my suppliers have told me, one said my mobo doesn't support gddr5, and another said it doesn't matter. What I really want to know is, is it compatible? the slot btw is a PCI-E x16, i don't think it's 2.0. gddr5 video cards are my top choice but since I'm not even sure ddr3 will work I am asking this question.

Solution
I think you're getting confused between the different types of memory.

The best type of RAM you can get on the motherboard currently is DDR3.

GDDR5 is currently the latest standard of memory found on video cards, the two are different.

Your PCI-E x16 slot is 1.0, it doesn't matter, the 460 will still fit in there, you just won't be getting the best out of it.

GDDR3 video cards will be slower and older, you may as well get something fairly new.

adriangonz

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
but my mobo is pci-e x16 only not pci-e 2.0 x16, any solutions for that? and yeah the gtx 460 was my initial choice. What about ddr3 video cards? do they also use gddr or just DDr?

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
I think you're getting confused between the different types of memory.

The best type of RAM you can get on the motherboard currently is DDR3.

GDDR5 is currently the latest standard of memory found on video cards, the two are different.

Your PCI-E x16 slot is 1.0, it doesn't matter, the 460 will still fit in there, you just won't be getting the best out of it.

GDDR3 video cards will be slower and older, you may as well get something fairly new.

Solution
System ram is totally separate from the Vram on your GPU. Your system will support any modern card, regardless of GDDR (DDR) type, that will fit in the slot as long as it is PCIe version 2.0 not 2.1 which has had issues with boards with version 1.x slots.

asheesh1_2000

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
DDR1 , 2, 3 -- are RAM types and each has a different slot on MB, so this is MB dependent.

GDDR, 2, 3, 5 - are VRAM types and they all fit in the same slot on MB. So this is not MB dependent.

PCI e V1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 2.1 - these are the kind of slots you hv where you fit VRAM cards which can be GDDR2 or 3 or 5 etc.

adriangonz

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
So just let me get this straight. Any video card will do so long as the slot is a PCI-E even if its pci-e 1.0? and when the video card says ddr3 or ddr5 it won't matter even if my mother only supports drr2 RAM?

asheesh1_2000

Distinguished
May 13, 2010

correct

I would also advise to stay away from the higher end cards like the 6870,gtx470,5850.Your current prossesor speed is a little slow and would hold those cards back.2G of Ram is somewhat slow,you should also look into getting some more.

Whats your budget for your new graphics card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS