CPU upgrade in Area 51M

Hello,
I have a 6 years old Alienware area 51 M and would like to replace the CPU. The one in is a P4 3.2ghz, 1MB, 800FSB, LGA775. Please advise what's compatible.
10 answers Last reply
More about upgrade area
  1. What motherboard, updating a LGA775 doesn't make financial sense as its end an of life socket, unless you can get a cheap dual-core or quad-core from ebay.
  2. MB D900T I think, the processor is P4 3.2GHZ 800FSB LGA775.
  3. Regardless of what CPU is installed, you are unlikely to be able to bring a 6 yr old system into 'ready for Crysis/Metro2033' specs thru a cpu upgrade alone, as odds are whatever graphics are installed are also severely outdated...

Time for a new desktop or laptop if gaming is the goal....
  4. The goal is have the laptop for internet browsing only, I already have a decent desktop for gaming. Would any socket 775 processor do the trick or has to be only the P4 3.2ghz? I noticed few on ebay but all are second hand. Is is worth it?
  5. The laptop is AREA 51M 7700, MB D900T, CPU P4 3.2 GHZ 1MB 800FSB LGA775 EJ, PSU 20V output, NVIDIA 6800FXGO with 256MB module and 2 gb of CORSAIR memory (upgraded few years ago) and a brand new 160gb HDD. I replaced the old hdd because I thought that's the problem but it's not. I know I won't be able to do what I did 6 years ago (play FAR CRY everyday :-( but maybe just for Internet browsing and simple tasks will be nice. Many thanks :-)
  6. Since my Celeron-M 1.4 GHz Toshiba Satellite still browses fine, I suspect your 3.2 GHz P4 would too....

Not all socket 775 cpus will work in all socket 775 motherboards, especially those on laptops; wether or not the laptop would support other processors depends on it's thermal design, MB's revision, and BIOS/voltage support....
  7. mdd1963 said:
    Since my Celeron-M 1.4 GHz Toshiba Satellite still browses fine, I suspect your 3.2 GHz P4 would too....

Not all socket 775 cpus will work in all socket 775 motherboards, especially those on laptops; wether or not the laptop would support other processors depends on it's thermal design, MB's revision, and BIOS/voltage support....

I suspected that :-( Don't know where to get those details (thermal design, etc...) I looked on the papers that came with the laptop and dont seem to be there.
  8. Took out the CPU today and put it back in, same thing :-( will replace the CMOS battery tomorrow and if that doesnt do the trick will throw it on ebay :-(
  9. "same thing"...meaning what exactly?

You have not even remotely stated a specific problem, but merely a goal to surf, which it should easily do.

What is the laptop's issue?
  10. Everytime time I switched on the laptop takes ages to get anything on the screen and then I get the beeps, long and continue beeps (a lot more than 5). I suspected that the RAM is gone, replaced it, same problem, I replaced the HDD, same thing, took the CPU out and put it back in, no changes; I was hoping that the CPU is fried because would be the easiest to replace and that's why I started this topic.Today I'm going the replace the CMOS battery. If that doesnt help means the VIDEO card (NVIDIA 6800FXGO 256MB) or the motherboard it's gone
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Alienware Compatibility