Tips & Suggestions for Wiki

A couple of tips for the VGAP Wiki at:

http://shove-it.de/open/jochen/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Some might be obvious, but the casual user might miss somethings. I did!

At first it looks pretty empty, but there is alot being added.
Look at categories (in the Quicklinks bar to the left), there is a wealth
of info being added behind.

Suggestion for Jochen: Rewrite the category headings. Ship Devices instead
of Devices, Buildings instead of Building

Suggestion for Jochen: Is it possible to expand the categories out in the
Quickbar, after clicking on a + next to Categories for example? That will
show the sub list and give a better overview of what is in the Wiki, and
make it easier to browse.

Look at Recent Changes (also in the Quickbar) to see what has been added or
changed in the last few days. Averaging a 100 changes a day I reckon!

Under Special Pages (Bottom if the Quickbar), you can create a login so
changes are visible under your name, create watch lists, and do a host of
other things. Without a login, changes are recorded in the changes list
under your IP adres it seems.

Enjoy.
2 answers Last reply
More about tips suggestions wiki

    Malcolm Snelgrove wrote:
    > A couple of tips for the VGAP Wiki at:
    >
    > http://shove-it.de/open/jochen/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
    >
    > Some might be obvious, but the casual user might miss somethings. I did!
    >
    > At first it looks pretty empty, but there is alot being added.
    > Look at categories (in the Quicklinks bar to the left), there is a wealth
    > of info being added behind.

    There is already valuable info in some of the race guides. Have a look
    at the crystals, the privateers or the solorian for example.
    Again, everyone is welcome to contribute to the wiki, even if it is
    just a bit.

    > Suggestion for Jochen: Rewrite the category headings. Ship Devices instead
    > of Devices, Buildings instead of Building

    Ship Device is an idea, but as it is now, the categories are in
    singular, I don't know, should we change this?

    > Suggestion for Jochen: Is it possible to expand the categories out in the
    > Quickbar, after clicking on a + next to Categories for example? That will
    > show the sub list and give a better overview of what is in the Wiki, and
    > make it easier to browse.
    Hmm, this looks tricky, but if I find a way to do it, I'll let you
    know.

    > Look at Recent Changes (also in the Quickbar) to see what has been added or
    > changed in the last few days. Averaging a 100 changes a day I reckon!

    Thanks to the guys doing all the work! You're awesome!

    > Under Special Pages (Bottom if the Quickbar), you can create a login so
    > changes are visible under your name, create watch lists, and do a host of
    > other things. Without a login, changes are recorded in the changes list
    > under your IP adres it seems.

    At least if you're about to contribute several times a login would be
    nice. You don't have to login manually each time, if you click the
    "remember me" (or whatever it is called) checkbox at the login.
    Right now everyone can write in the wiki, I don't know, maybe this will
    be changed, so that you have to login to write to have a kind of
    protection against abuse.
    I don't think someone of the community will do something like that, but
    perhaps someone else?

    > Enjoy.
    You say it ;)

    Jochen

    "Black No1" <keineahnungwas@gmx.de> wrote:

    >> Suggestion for Jochen: Rewrite the category headings. Ship Devices instead
    >> of Devices, Buildings instead of Building
    >
    >Ship Device is an idea, but as it is now, the categories are in
    >singular, I don't know, should we change this?

    Categories (in English anyway) are always written in plural (ie Plants,
    Animals, Rocks). It just looks and reads wrong in singular.

    We may as well use the same category headings as Tim does in the help
    file, to make life easier.

    Keep up the good work!
    -Malcolm.

Wiki Devices Video Games