Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Getting EyeFinity to work. Which of these adapters will work?

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • DVI
  • VGA
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 21, 2011 12:57:53 AM

Howdy y'all, I own an HD 6850 and am trying to get my EyeFinity to work so I can have three monitors.

My current set up is an Acer X223w (1x VGA, 1x DVI, 22") and an Acer X213H (1x VGA, 1x DVI, 1x HDMI, 21.5"), both running on DVI currently.

My original plan was to use the two above monitors and an old 19" Samsung standard display (1x VGA, 1x DVI), so the end-game would be a 2x DVI, 1x HDMI-->DP. I tried using a DisplayPort adapter found here and it didn't work, which I've gathered is because it's not an 'active' adapter. Luckily it was cheap, so I'm not out a whole lot of money.

My question is: do I need to spend ANOTHER $100 on one of those USB powered dongles, or will any alternatives work? I've found quite a few which claim to be Active and a couple which are mentioned on ATI's site.

Would a simple DP --> VGA cable do the trick?

Or there's, a myriad of adapters out there that all claim to be Active adapters, just no dongle.

Since I've already spent $250 on the HD 6850, I'm looking to get this done as cheap as possible (IE not buying one of those $100 USB powered dongle adapters). I have, or can easily get, all the necessary cables (VGA, DVI, HDMI) so that's not an issue: I just need to know how to hook it all up. So I need to know whether I can do a DP --> DVI or DP --> VGA only. I did a 'detect' on my setup under Screen Resolution and it says I have a free VGA port, so I'm wondering if the DisplayPort on the video card only reads as VGA, or something, or that's just a default setting.

If I have to buy a $100 dongle for it, I may as well just pay a few extra bucks and get a new monitor that's DP compatible (and hopefully it'd come with a DP cable).

Thanks for any and all help!

More about : eyefinity work adapters work

Best solution

January 21, 2011 6:17:31 PM

$100 dollar dongles are done. $30 actives are readily available. They are adapters with no need for a separate power source i.e. USB. Many are ATI certified for eyefinity and the product packaging will state that. ATI's dongle list is outdated, so you can't go by that. Here's the one I use (HD5770)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
January 21, 2011 9:25:13 PM

Awesome, just what I wanted to hear. Thanks!
Score
January 21, 2011 9:25:25 PM

Best answer selected by EyemConfused.
Score
January 22, 2011 6:11:40 AM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
Score
!