Closed Solved

MSI 890FXA-GD70 dual channel?

I have MSI 890FXA-GD70, in the specifications I read that it supports 32 GBs. It has 4 slots, so 8 GBs each. Can I install 3 slots and not 4? the specifications said it's dual channel, is it like Intel dual channel? where you get better performance installing 2 or 4 slots as opposite to 3???
17 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 890fxa gd70 dual channel
  1. installing only 3 will decrease the ram clocks to make them stable since they wont be runing in dual channel mode anymore meaning if they are 1600 they will run at 1333 unless you enable XMP profile from bios ,if you want to take advantage of the dual channel install 2 or 4
  2. coconutoil said:
    I have MSI 890FXA-GD70, in the specifications I read that it supports 32 GBs. It has 4 slots, so 8 GBs each. Can I install 3 slots and not 4? the specifications said it's dual channel, is it like Intel dual channel? where you get better performance installing 2 or 4 slots as opposite to 3???

Yes u can, but it will be running in the flex mode, which is fine.

As far as performance goes, 2 or 4 slots vs 3, it would be barely measurable and not noticeable in the real world.
  3. Guys, I have to say that My CPU is OC from 3.4 to 3.74 and I want keep it that way! So should I still get 2 and not 3?
  4. Why don't u get 4x4GB sticks?

Is it for the gaming?

3 sticks will be fine too. As long as they are the same.
  5. the 4th slot is blocked by the cpu cooler. It's for a virtual server setup.
  6. Post the RAM and CPU cooler and the RAM....
  7. then 3 sticks and enable the xmp profile and you will be fine
  8. I forgot what's the model of the cpu cooler but it's cooler master, the ram I dont know the brand I'm getting yet
  9. Now I'm considering getting it without heat sinks, it will fit nicely!
  10. Best answer
    coconutoil said:
    I forgot what's the model of the cpu cooler but it's cooler master, the ram I dont know the brand I'm getting yet

Get the low profile RAM and it will fill all the slots!
  11. The RAM is never that hot, just warm and the heat spreader is not needed. It is just a marketing tool...
  12. Best answer selected by coconutoil.
  13. It is a beast, that mobo : )) Looks great.

14. Thanx for the vote : ))
  15. This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Dual Channel Product MSI-Microstar