Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Computer Will Not Stay In Sleep?

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
February 27, 2012 9:22:04 PM

Hello,
Whenever I try to put my computer into sleep mode, the DRAM LED (red) light comes on. Same as when I am booting my computer from a restart or simply just pressing the power button, the red light pops up. My BIOS is up to date. My computer never did this before. The red light is not solid, it is current for about 1 - 2 seconds. Their is a MemOK button above the light and I am wondering if I should press it. Is their some settings in the BIOS that I must modify? If so, please be specific.
Thanks,
Gc
Mobo: P8Z68 - V LX
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x4GB

More about : computer stay sleep

February 27, 2012 9:35:28 PM

Anyone? Please, I would like to fix this issue, thanks.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 216 V Motherboard
February 27, 2012 10:16:50 PM

What has changed?
If you have done some updates, or contracted a virus, you may want to restore to a previous time.

Look at what can wake your pc up from sleep.

In the bios, you may find some settings like lan activity that will do it. Go through all parameters, even if you think at first they don't apply.
In the os, check power options, advanced settings for such things at wake timers.

Related resources
February 27, 2012 10:17:08 PM

Fixed this issue. And it's pretty simple actually.
1. Click Start.
2. Click Control Panel
3. Click Click System
4. Click Device Manager.
5. Click the plus sign on Network Adapters droping it down and right click your networking controller, click properties.
6. Go to the power management tab, uncheck "Allow this device to wake the computer".
Hope this helps for you humans that had the same problem as me.
February 28, 2012 7:34:43 PM

geofelt said:
What has changed?
If you have done some updates, or contracted a virus, you may want to restore to a previous time.

Look at what can wake your pc up from sleep.

In the bios, you may find some settings like lan activity that will do it. Go through all parameters, even if you think at first they don't apply.
In the os, check power options, advanced settings for such things at wake timers.

I need additional help. My computer can stay in sleep now that I unchecked "Allow this device to wake up the computer" in Network Adapters, but I noticed that before this was all happening my internet started dropping. I am wired to my router also. I do not know why this is happening and whenever I boot my computer (still from a cold start, a restart and even a simple wake from sleep) the DRAM LED light pops up and flashes for a second.
Help?
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 216 V Motherboard
February 28, 2012 9:43:51 PM

What does the dram led light mean? Look in your motherboard manual.

I would not worry too much about those lights unless it is an indicator of some sort of problem.

Most likely, it is the motherboard being unhappy with the default ram speeds and trying to find a more suitable one. If you have not yet done so, just set the ram to auto or default specs.

What do you mean that your internet started dropping?

Did you have NO access, or, was it just slower?

Was there some change associated with this in the past?

You could try system restore to a previously known good time.
February 28, 2012 11:25:39 PM

geofelt said:
What does the dram led light mean? Look in your motherboard manual.

I would not worry too much about those lights unless it is an indicator of some sort of problem.

Most likely, it is the motherboard being unhappy with the default ram speeds and trying to find a more suitable one. If you have not yet done so, just set the ram to auto or default specs.

What do you mean that your internet started dropping?

Did you have NO access, or, was it just slower?

Was there some change associated with this in the past?

You could try system restore to a previously known good time.

I can not thank you enough for the reply,

First, the DRAM LED/MemOK switch (this is taken straight out of the mobo manual): Installing DIMMs that are incompatible with the motherboard may cause system boot failure, and the DRAM_LED near the MemOK! switch lights continuously (In my case, it only lights up for a second on boot). Press and hold the MemOK! switch until the DRAM_LED starts blinking to begin automatic memory compatibility tuning for a successful boot. (My computer boots just fine).

Second, I checked in the BIOS and did not change a thing that was related to the RAM. It is running at 1333MHz, in the right slots and is set to auto.

Third, the internet started dropping 4 days ago (Saturday). I was in a skype call and I got disconnected and I noticed that there was at first a Hazard sign on the network icon and then an x, indicating no connection. In order to fix this, I had to disable my Local Area Connection and enable it again. This resulted in my internet working how it was before at this hokey pokey stuff.

Fourth, I had no access.

Fifth, No, their was no change associated with this computer in the past. This build was put together in late December (2011) and was working fine. Now, the DRAM_LED pops up on each boot for a second and I am still using the original parts.\

Sixth, I believe that the last update I made was a windows update. This is what I salvaged from the Windows Update:

STARTCumulative Security Update for ActiveX Killbits for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2618451)

Installation date: ‎1/‎24/‎2012 4:13 PM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Important

Security issues have been identified in ActiveX controls that could allow an attacker to compromise a system running Microsoft Internet Explorer and gain control over it. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=232507

Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.comEND

After reading this, I uninstalled ActiveX.

Thanks,
Gc




Best solution

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 216 V Motherboard
February 29, 2012 1:46:16 AM
Share

Since your pc boots, I think you are ok on the ram.
If you want to test it, download to a cd/floppy/usb and run memtest86+. Do get the latest version.
It does not need a os and will exercise your ram. You should get NO errors.

Your internet problems sound like an external issue. Talk to your isp provider, they have remote diagnostics.
March 1, 2012 12:51:56 AM

Best answer selected by GcMartini.
March 1, 2012 1:01:22 AM

geofelt said:
Since your pc boots, I think you are ok on the ram.
If you want to test it, download to a cd/floppy/usb and run memtest86+. Do get the latest version.
It does not need a os and will exercise your ram. You should get NO errors.

Your internet problems sound like an external issue. Talk to your isp provider, they have remote diagnostics.

Thanks man!
Very helpful. I shall contact my provider, I still have no clue why my internet has been acting like this though. It's been fine for 6 years (but I guess their always is a beginning and end). I just downloaded memtest and I'll see how it turns out.
Thanks again!
Gc
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 328 V Motherboard
March 1, 2012 2:02:40 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
!