Pc restarts, power supply? 3rd post still no replys

jordiramos

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
hey guys, first time poster, but ive been reading for years, great job

basically about 6 months ago i build myself a custom pc with new parts with no problems, specs below:

Quick facts

q6600 over clocked to 3.4ghz from stock 2.4ghz, all proper configerations and cooling systems

for about 2-3 months i could hear strange sparking sounds comming from the pack of the power supply where you plug in the lead, i discovered that the lead head had melted abit, i then changed the power lead. i still hear strange skarking sounds though at times, usually during gamming.

keyboard led's simulartaiously light up like a blink this is once in a while though

STOREY

about a week ago i was playing fifa 11 against the computer, i then minimized the screen to check facebook, i then noticed the desktop was covered in colums of white dots vertically positioned and of the same size, i dont have the screen shot for this but ive tried to recreate it on microsoft paint, the link is also below, anyway i restarted the pc and these colums of white dots apeared on the bios screen, i then wend to bed and in the morning i switched on my screen and the dots apeared like before, i then decided to swap the ram sticks around but this did nothing till i took out the 1 gb stick of kingston ram, when i switched on the pc everything looked fine again, i then decided to start playing fifa 11 again but after an amount of time (it varies) it crashes and restarts the computer with a warning, the pc has even frozen on me when im on the desk top doing nothing much, but this is rarer, i then have to manually restart. so anyway i decided to open up the power supply to check for dest, inside there was a build up of dust surrounding the live wires that connect to the power supply socket, so after cleaning the power supply i reconnected it and switched on the pc. i played fifa 11 for a good while but i felt that is was abit sluggish, i did feel a slight halt at times but im not totally sure, after a while though the pc kicked me outta fifa 11 but no restart! ive had no restarts in 3 days but the pc kicks me off the game with an error message at times. but today ive been kicked outta the game after 15 mins seem each time it seems so maybe things are getting worse. today i got kicked outta the game and a coloured line appeared across the screen, this pic is included below

pictures: (paint) http://oi52.tinypic.com/2dtur7r.jpg (real) http://oi53.tinypic.com/124zbdh.jpg

specs

cpu: q6600 intel core quad
motherboard: p5q turbo pro
ram: Crucial 1gb DDR2 RAM, 240 pin (667 MHz) and also a 2gb stick of the same brand and specifications (total 3gb)
graphics card: nvidia pny 8800gt
hard drive: maxtor ide 160gb
cd/dvd rom: sony 16x
power supply:storm 600w......................................very light i think its cheap

Artifacting typically indicates a problem with the GPU.
I'm not sure I understand why you would continue to use a PSU that is producing sparking sounds, and especially not CONTINUING to use it after it melted a power cord. No doubt it is a cheap PSU-shaped object, which has no business being connected to a computer at the same time it is attached to a power source. Hopefully it has not damaged your system [too badly], but I'm not optimistic. Voltages out of spec can easily kill memory (which may have happened) or other connected parts.
A quality modern PSU has full range active PFC (no little voltage switch) and some level of 80+ certification for efficiency. Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, XFX, and Enermax/LEPA are among the better brands. Your system would be fine with a good 400W-450W PSU.