Need Help. Is my XFX 9800gtx+ died

antonsriyantha

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
Hey guys..(sorry for my bad english)

I have XFX 9800gtx+ and seasonic s12 520w psu..
when i press the power button my pc wont start..(all the fans spins one round and stops..vga's green light on and then off in a second). then i unpluged the vga and pressed the power button then it began to work with my onboard graphic ...then again i pluged vga and same thing happened. i removed pci -e power cables then it began to work again with vga's red light and no display but pc is working..

i checked my grapic card with another psu ..and same thing happened..

what is wrong with my vga card ..is it died?...can it be repaired...? i used this only 3 months and also haven't warranty

please post your suggestions and ideas...i want it back please..

jmsummers2012

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
Very similar problem, however, my vga has no light... but the fans spin. My computer seems to be working, in fact when I pulled the card and on board graphics took over, windows gave me message saying I did a hard shut off. If I come up with a solution, I'll drop you a line. I'm thinking its a mobo problem, not recognizing the card.

anton said that the video card did not work in another computer.

Not working in two computers is a pretty good sign that the video card is dead.

XFX is known for a lifetime warranty on their video cards. Contact XFX and see what they say.

jm, the fact that your system defaulted to on board graphics when you removed your video card is a sign that the motherboard recognized the presence of your video card. I think your card is dead also. Install it in another computer to test it.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009

I'm not sure about the warranty, but depending on how dangerous you want to get, if the problem with the card is a broken solder connection there IS a way to fix it.

It involves your oven, however.

antonsriyantha

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010

did you mean about oven baking... will it work for me...i watch those videos from youtube..

antonsriyantha

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
but my problem is different from them
at least theirs vga cards were powerd up(at least spinning theirs fans)

but mines.. when i plug pci -e power connectors whole machine seems to be not working( psu also not working)..but if i unpluged pci power connecters pc boots normally and also vga's fan is spinning with red light

antonsriyantha

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010

that oven bake thing works only when having the card artifacts...

i think that wont work for me.....any idea please??....................

I was just gonna suggest baking, but then continued to scroll down and saw it suggested. I just tried baking for the first time tonight and it brought my dead 7950 GT back to life. I don't know how long it will last--they say it's sometimes permanent. I followed the baking instructions pretty closely:

Preheat 375'F, 8 minutes, let it cool off, 8 minutes again.

Keep in mind that if you do this wrong, you CAN melt your card. But like I said, it worked for me earlier today.

antonsriyantha

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010

Was your problem similer to me or did it display artifacts?..