certifiedgmane

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Well... i bought a new CPU to put into my moms dell about 5 months ago i wasn't able to put it in because the cpu heat sink screw is STRIPPED i was able to remove the first 3 but the last one is stripped so badly that it doesn't even resemble a screw anymore and whats worse is the fact that the screw is encased in a plastic cover similar to this http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll171/certifiedgmane/intel-core2-duo-cpu-heatsink-fan-dell.jpg so that means that i cant grip it with pliers and that it can only be accessed from the top ...i decided to try to get it out again but to no avail i just gave up fearing that id only be stripping the screw further if i continued. SO! any ideas on how to get this screw out? becuase this is really frustrating me...

THANK YOU!!

Hold or clamp everything securely and then use a Left hand drill and drill a small hole right in the center of the screw. This may unfasten the screw. The Left hand drill is the key to removal.

If not, use a small 'Easy Outer' in the drilled hole and ease the screw out. It will work.

certifiedgmane

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010

thanks for replying
ok i have a drill so all i need now is a left hand drill bit?

certifiedgmane

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010

Alright THANKS!

justaguywithagun

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
in spite of the fact that this individual may or may not have more room to work with (as it was specified that the pic was merely similar), im pretty certain that removal of any applicable add-in boards (vid/sound card etc) would make a dremel fit nicely..even without the long flex extension thats availible

I have noted your comments.