GA-990FXA-UD3 FX 8120 Missing cores

blinkn

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
Hello,
I was having the Steam games not playing issue... The Steam forums directed me to the Gigabyte site suggesting the F6 bios update the page linked to the 990fxa-UD7 bios page. I then went to UD3 page downloaded the file, flashed the bios and Steam now works but i am only showing 4 cores in both the device manager and in the task manager. All 8 cores showed under bios F5...

Any help would be amazing...

System
990fxa-UD3 rev 1.1 F6f
AMD FX8120
8GB AMD Performance RAM
Sapphire 6870
Windows 7 64-bit

exphp

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
Happened to me too with the same mobo/rev and chip.

Go to the BIOS setup (DELETE key on boot) and set the following:

Advanced BIOS Features > CPU core Control: Manual
Advanced BIOS Features > One Core Per Compute Unit: Disabled

I'm not sure what the options below that do. I think they disable individual pairs of cores. Just leave them enabled.

Ironically, I found this topic while trying to find out how much I could overclock the CPU if I purposely disabled 4 of the cores. Unfortunately for me, it doesn't seem like this is anything a lot of people want to do. >_>

samuel-12

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012

The " one core per compute unit" option is made for those who need to have access to cpu cache with as less as cores as possible!

if you activate only 1-2 and 3-4 you will have only half the L3 cache and half the L2 cache!

while using the "one core per compute unit" allows you to have full access to all cache!