GA-990FXA-UD3 FX 8120 Missing cores

Hello,
I was having the Steam games not playing issue... The Steam forums directed me to the Gigabyte site suggesting the F6 bios update the page linked to the 990fxa-UD7 bios page. I then went to UD3 page downloaded the file, flashed the bios and Steam now works but i am only showing 4 cores in both the device manager and in the task manager. All 8 cores showed under bios F5...

Any help would be amazing...

System
990fxa-UD3 rev 1.1 F6f
AMD FX8120
8GB AMD Performance RAM
Sapphire 6870
Windows 7 64-bit
2 answers Last reply
More about 990fxa 8120 missing cores
  1. Happened to me too with the same mobo/rev and chip.

Go to the BIOS setup (DELETE key on boot) and set the following:

Advanced BIOS Features > CPU core Control: Manual
    Advanced BIOS Features > One Core Per Compute Unit: Disabled

I'm not sure what the options below that do. I think they disable individual pairs of cores. Just leave them enabled.

Ironically, I found this topic while trying to find out how much I could overclock the CPU if I purposely disabled 4 of the cores. Unfortunately for me, it doesn't seem like this is anything a lot of people want to do. >_>
  2. exphp said:
    Happened to me too with the same mobo/rev and chip.

Go to the BIOS setup (DELETE key on boot) and set the following:

Advanced BIOS Features > CPU core Control: Manual
    Advanced BIOS Features > One Core Per Compute Unit: Disabled

I'm not sure what the options below that do. I think they disable individual pairs of cores. Just leave them enabled.

Ironically, I found this topic while trying to find out how much I could overclock the CPU if I purposely disabled 4 of the cores. Unfortunately for me, it doesn't seem like this is anything a lot of people want to do. >_>

The " one core per compute unit" option is made for those who need to have access to cpu cache with as less as cores as possible!

if you activate only 1-2 and 3-4 you will have only half the L3 cache and half the L2 cache!

while using the "one core per compute unit" allows you to have full access to all cache!
Ask a new question

Read More

Chipsets BIOS Steam Motherboards