Sign in with
Your question

Win 7 Sp1 Installation was not successful

Last response: in Motherboards
February 28, 2012 4:08:13 AM

Hello

I have a new fresh build with p9X79 Pro and using BIOS 0906 (running i7 3930k, with 32GB 1600 RAM). However I cannot get Win 7 (X64) SP1 to install. I have already done several fresh rebuilds and on every build SP1 installation is never succesful.

I have tried via Windows Updates and also a stand alone installation from my hard drive (have not tried it via burning to disc) + tried the suggested windows hot fix pack. Is there a problem with p9X79 and SP1 compatibilty?

As Im on a new/clean build I thought there would have been less issues. I have never had this sort of problem and my other win 7 PC's have always been fine???
a b V Motherboard
February 28, 2012 4:26:01 AM

I have not done it myself, but it sounds very much like life on the "bleeding edge". This basically means trying to install older software on new hardware it does not recognize.

Although not applicable in your case, it can also mean trying to combine newer spec and older spec hardware.

I did do a Google search, but came up empty. Same was true over at Intel and ASUS. Hopefully someone else will chime in with an answer. I would also pose the question to Microsoft, Intel, and ASUS support sites.
a b V Motherboard
February 28, 2012 4:59:26 AM

Ive come across a similar problem. SP1 would not install properly (always erroring out at the end).

I just let my computer stay connected to the net and let it do it's thing...after a day or so it seemed to have fixed itself. Never figured out what caused the problem.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
February 28, 2012 5:15:29 AM

I have not used the feature, but I seem to recall there being a point during Windows install where you could pause it and install drivers for new unrecognized hardware. I think at this point you would remove the Windows DVD and inset the disk that came with the motherboard. Unfortunately a quick search of the Windows site did not mention how to access this feature.
June 14, 2012 3:32:34 AM

alex200274 said:
Hello

I have a new fresh build with p9X79 Pro and using BIOS 0906 (running i7 3930k, with 32GB 1600 RAM). However I cannot get Win 7 (X64) SP1 to install. I have already done several fresh rebuilds and on every build SP1 installation is never succesful.

I have tried via Windows Updates and also a stand alone installation from my hard drive (have not tried it via burning to disc) + tried the suggested windows hot fix pack. Is there a problem with p9X79 and SP1 compatibilty?

As Im on a new/clean build I thought there would have been less issues. I have never had this sort of problem and my other win 7 PC's have always been fine???

I was wondering if you have found a resolution to this problem? As I have it as well. Thank you!
June 14, 2012 9:02:42 PM

I've had similar problems with the Asus Sabertooth X79 with 8x4GB = 32GB memory.

First I would try the following:

Enter the BIOS menu and change XMP to enabled.

You may need to rise some memory voltages. Have a look at your memory manufacturer's guidelines. In my case using G.Skill DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24N memory sticks with 4GB each, the VCCSA needs to be increased to 1.2V or even 1.25V (make sure you got sufficient cooling).

Again, check first with your memory manufacturer and his recommended settings.

You should then follow the guide by Jaquith.

The problem is often with the memory. This amount of memory combined with the X79 board and the processor seems to create problems. It's unfortunately quite bleeding edge and requires fine-tuning of the BIOS settings for the memory/processor.

It is also important that you run your memory at the specified speed (1600MHz in my case). Check the exact specifications. XMP should take care of it, but the Asus board tries to identify the correct settings each time you boot, unless you disable this feature. XMP means it reads the correct settings for the memory you use, but it doesn't always work correctly.

There is also an "Intel X79 overclocking guide" written by an Asus guy that you may search for.
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
June 14, 2012 9:18:34 PM

Yep I agree with XMP, it's addressed in the last post in the 'Guide' thread. The SB-E loses 200MHz Turbo with 'Defaults' and some RAM kits are lousy with DDR3-1333. Keep in mind if you ever want to RAID say data drives you'll be SOL if you don't do it as I suggest and will have to (Win 7 anyway) re-install the OS.

Further, as stated 'between the lines' IF the RAM is throwing errors you will not be able to install the OS. So set the RAM (9/10 XMP will work) and Memtest prior to installing the OS.

As a rule, I set the BIOS 1st, next Memtest, followed by installing the OS, and before installing ANY apps I AIDA64 Extreme (all stress options) 24-48 hours depending on use (home = 24 / office = 48), and lastly install your Windows 7 compatible apps -- then run back-up and create an emergency disk/etc...

Good Luck! :) 
June 14, 2012 9:30:31 PM

jaquith said:
Yep I agree with XMP, it's addressed in the last post in the 'Guide' thread. The SB-E loses 200MHz Turbo with 'Defaults' and some RAM kits are lousy with DDR3-1333. Keep in mind if you ever want to RAID say data drives you'll be SOL if you don't do it as I suggest and will have to (Win 7 anyway) re-install the OS.

Further, as stated 'between the lines' IF the RAM is throwing errors you will not be able to install the OS. So set the RAM (9/10 XMP will work) and Memtest prior to installing the OS.

As a rule, I set the BIOS 1st, next Memtest, followed by installing the OS, and before installing ANY apps I AIDA64 Extreme (all stress options) 24-48 hours depending on use (home = 24 / office = 48), and lastly install your Windows 7 compatible apps -- then run back-up and create an emergency disk/etc...

Good Luck! :) 

Exactly, check the BIOS settings and run Memtest before you even think of installing the OS. Let us know the exact memory specifications since this may be a key to solving the problem.
June 14, 2012 10:30:09 PM

jaquith said:
@powerhouse32 - read this and please let me know if you have the same 'fail' ; see - http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709...

My PC is still with the repair shop. They have been using RST Pro (a PCI hardware-based test solution) to identify the problem. Tweaking the BIOS helped install Windows 7 but they're still getting memory errors after around 17 hours running the test, though the errors went down from over 60 errors to 18 errors after tweaking the voltages.

Today they're running the AIDA test to see if it passes. I hope to hear more tomorrow. The G.Skill guys suggested to use AIDA64 but the technician believes the RST professional test solution provides more accurate results, and unlike AIDA64 gives more options for testing. Now they are running AIDA and will let me know the results by tomorrow or after the weekend.
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
June 14, 2012 10:35:27 PM

Something to add to the 'to-do' list. My 'feeling' it's not a problem, and the only reason I even looked was someone wanted a 'MOBO testing App' so I fired it up a -- Fail! :o  No one wants to see an CMOS integrity issue!
June 15, 2012 9:36:48 AM

@Jaquith: Today I checked again with the repair shop. AIDA64 failed and so did the latest Prime95, the later reporting a hardware problem. I now need to decide if I take back the PC and give it a try with the help of the guys at the G.Skill forum, or else replace the memory altogether for a different (and more expensive) brand.

Just for reference: they also tested each DIMM stick individually and all 8 DIMMs passed several runs of the stress / memory tests. So the memory sticks seem to be OK, but perhaps they don't match the motherboard/CPU configuration when all 32GB are installed. The repair shop also tweaked some voltages in the BIOS settings, according to the memory manufacturer's suggestions. This reduced the number of errors, but they don't disappear entirely.

It's a real pain in the you know where.

P.S.: I just noticed that Asus issued a new BIOS software version 1203 for my Sabertooth X79 board. They mention improved system stability and improved memory compatibility. I will give it a try.
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
June 15, 2012 2:15:23 PM

I've been using the new BIOS for a few days -- knock on wood -- no issues.

In many of my posts, if these are 8GB/stick then you might need to also adjust the PLL Voltage not to mention both the CPUVTT & VCCSA = 1.20v and if needed add +0.05v (1.50v -> 1.55v) to both DRAM AB & DRAM CD voltages. You might also need to adjust the Frequency and/or CAS Timings.

Q - What Kit or Kits?

AIDA64 is what ASUS recommends and what JJ has been encouraging folks to use to avoid damage.
June 16, 2012 6:51:14 AM

@Jaquith: This is my memory kit:

G.Skill RipjawsZ DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24 F3-12800CL9Q2-32GBZL (4Gx8) 32GB RAM

The sticks are 4GB sticks, a total of 8 sticks.
June 17, 2012 4:02:43 PM

Update: the guy at the repair shop flashed the BIOS to 1203 and the Aida64 test ran without errors for over 48 hours. However, this was after they tuned the voltages to VCCSA to 1.25V and the DRAM to 1.65V. XMP alone didn't do the job.

They'll run more tests for a couple of days to make sure the system is stable.

I wonder if it's such a good idea to run the PC at maximum allowable voltages. Any suggestions?
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
June 17, 2012 4:45:49 PM

A CPUVTT and/or VCCSA > 1.20v is +0.05v over accepted limits; it's been proven >1.35v degrades the SB-E quickly and so does a vCore >1.55v.

I assume the shop is using a CPUVTT and VCCSA = 1.25v and DRAM AB/CD Voltage = 1.65v which exceeds the Rated voltage by +0.15v.

IF it were me I'd exchange the G.SKILL kits with something else. Those voltages would have no home in 'my' PC.
June 17, 2012 9:52:00 PM

jaquith said:
A CPUVTT and/or VCCSA > 1.20v is +0.05v over accepted limits; it's been proven >1.35v degrades the SB-E quickly and so does a vCore >1.55v.

I assume the shop is using a CPUVTT and VCCSA = 1.25v and DRAM AB/CD Voltage = 1.65v which exceeds the Rated voltage by +0.15v.

IF it were me I'd exchange the G.SKILL kits with something else. Those voltages would have no home in 'my' PC.

I made a mistake with the Vcore voltage - I meant DRAM voltage (I changed my last post). There are so many settings and next to no documentation - it's just confusing.

I don't like to run my PC at these high voltages, and the guy at the repair shop is also not happy about it. They may be willing to replace my memory, but they haven't got any other 32GB kit except G.Skill. If I add some money they may trade the 8x4GB sticks for 4x8GB sticks, also from G.Skill.

The technician believes that using 8 DIMMs is putting the board on the edge, drawing too much power. Well, the Asus Sabertooth X79 wasn't exactly a cheap board and is supposedly designed to go through war without a scratch (all mil specs components). Yet this damn memory doesn't work at the rated voltages and settings, or just XMP enabled.
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
June 17, 2012 10:32:30 PM

I figured you meant DRAM Voltage. It's the kits not the MOBO, I have 8x4GB DDR3L-1600 which are running CPUVTT and VCCSA = 1.10v and DRAM AB/CD Voltage = 1.35v. I know a little about the Sabertooth X79 and run (2) kits of Corsair CMZ16GX3M4X1600C9G.
June 18, 2012 7:22:01 AM

jaquith said:
I figured you meant DRAM Voltage. It's the kits not the MOBO, I have 8x4GB DDR3L-1600 which are running CPUVTT and VCCSA = 1.10v and DRAM AB/CD Voltage = 1.35v. I know a little about the Sabertooth X79 and run (2) kits of Corsair CMZ16GX3M4X1600C9G.

Thanks! Only now did I check the reviews on Newegg - should have done that before deciding on the components!

While 50% report no troubles at all with the G.Skill 8x4GB DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24 quad channel memory, about a quarter of the reviews reported serious problems. Some had a clean install into the Asus Sabertooth X79, but others didn't manage to get it work.

I may have an option to replace the 8x4GB kit with an 4x8GB DDR3-1600 kit, also from G.Skill. This 4 DIMM kit has excellent reviews - none has reported real problems. My retailer here - who also happens to be the importer of G.Skill memory - has removed the 8x4GB memory kit from their stock. I don't know why, but it could be because of problems.

So it looks like I'm going to pay the extra for the more expensive 8GB DIMMs. What do you think?

The memory kit now works, but only at maximum voltage settings.
June 18, 2012 8:55:18 AM

Me again. I visited the repair lab and they reset the CMOS and only enabled XMP on the Asus Sabertooth X79. Prime95 ran without errors overnight using the latest BIOS 1203.

My original report on the new BIOS version and settings was incorrect. The technician used XMP with increased voltages to see if that runs error free. Only yesterday, after there were no errors in both Aida64 and Prime95, did he reset the CMOS and use standard settings with XMP enabled. So far it looks good and it seems the new BIOS version may have solved the problems. I need to wait another day or two for the other tests to come to a conclusion.
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
June 18, 2012 1:26:04 PM

Most of those kits set the VCCSA to 1.10v~1.20v which is recommended and fine. Sure, if the settings are bad and/or the BIOS adjusts voltages that aren't good then you'll have instability. On the newer Intel CPU's I really don't recommend using Prime95 + Blend, maybe Prime95 + small FFTs.

No errors = good! :) 
June 21, 2012 10:00:29 PM

Here the latest news: The lab ran Aida64 with no errors. BUT, the Prime95 test shut down one core during the test. The technician believes that this is due to a memory fault.

They also ran a memory/system test using the RST Pro PCI test board which produced errors after a few hours.

In short, the system seems to work better with the new BIOS software but it still produces errors in some circumstances. I know you think that Prime95 should be taken with caution. I really don't need hardware problems with my PC.

To give the bigger picture of all this, here is what I want to do:

Install Linux Mint (or perhaps Fedora 17) with a Xen kernel. Then install Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit as a domU (guest VM) running with VGA passthrough to have direct access to the graphics card. The Win7 install will be used for photo editing and monitor calibration (I have a high-end monitor that can store the LUT=color adjustment table inside the monitor). For everyday stuff like Internet, mail, and document editing I want to use the Linux dom0.

I could use a dual-boot system but I really don't want that. I want to be able to switch between Windows and Linux at the press of a button. I also plan to use LVM to "virtualize" my drives. This allows me for example to take a snapshot of my Windows logical volume and save it on another disk in case something goes wrong. Furthermore it allows me to create a large logical volume to span several hard drives for my data, and add more disks when needed.

My old system has around 4-5TB of disk space and this is not enough. I'm not even counting external backup drives.

To come back to the original issue, do you think the hardware will be stable with these test results?

My experience is that while Windows will show a blue screen (or a black screen) when there is a memory issue, Linux will be more forgiving and produce variously segmentation faults, file system errors, or in the worst case won't boot. With seg faults and file system errors Linux will carry on and let you work, but the system is nevertheless screwed up.

What should I do with the memory? Keep it or replace it?
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
June 22, 2012 11:21:43 AM

I'd have to know what changes were made to the BIOS above Defaults to render an opinion. If as before the voltages are crazy to keep it stable and error free then I'd say exchange the RAM.

4x8GB CMP32GX3M4X1600C10 1.50v
8x4GB CMZ16GX3M4X1600C9G 1.35v 2x Kits
June 30, 2012 10:05:54 AM

Me again. I finally took my PC back from the repair shop after my retailer gave me a hard time exchanging the memory which obviously doesn't work stable yet. I'm currently running BIOS revision 1203 which is the latest I found for the Asus Sabertooth X79. It seems to have improved stability a bit, but running memtest86+ v4.2 for some hours gives me errors.

I didn't change the default settings except these:

XMP enabled
VT-d enabled (shouldn't influence any memory issues)
Surge protection disabled - I read that in some cases surge protection can cause reboots, but usually only with overclocking. I nevertheless disabled it.
All other CPU and memory settings at default (usually Auto).

Here are the relevant settings:

All other memory settings are on Auto.

Here the voltages:

And here perhaps the most interesting part of the voltage settings:

All other settings under the above AI Tweak section are on Auto.

Here a voltage reading under the Monitor section:

It looks like the CPUVTT and VCCSA voltages are a little low. What do you think?

Which settings would you change? And how (these "offset", auto, and whatever options are just confusing)?

Thanks!
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
June 30, 2012 1:11:07 PM

Set the VCCSA -> Manual and VCCSA Voltage -> 1.20v. You can test voltages from 1.10v~1.15v~1.20v, 1.20v is the max safe but 1.1 is better.

IF needed then raise the DRAM Voltage AB & CD (both) to 1.55v.

All those numbers are long-term safe, test again and let me know.

a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
June 30, 2012 1:15:57 PM

powerhouse32 said:
(1) XMP enabled
(2) VT-d enabled (shouldn't influence any memory issues)
(3) Surge protection disabled - I read that in some cases surge protection can cause reboots, but usually only with overclocking. I nevertheless disabled it.
All other CPU and memory settings at default (usually Auto).

(1) One kit should work fine, Two kits often require some voltage tweaks.
(2) Correct no influence.
(3) I only change Surge and disable Thermal protection (prevents false drop-outs but the CPU is still protected) when OC'ing.
June 30, 2012 4:55:28 PM

I tried increasing the voltages gradually, as well as some suggestions by Asus, but in all memtest86+ runs I invariable get a bit error at memory address 00344008e40 - 13376.0MB.

It looks like a faulty memory module. What do you think?
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
June 30, 2012 5:11:50 PM

It would seem so. Frankly, I'm confused what kit you have now? I get it's DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24-2N @ 1.50v. Most Corsair kits I've used set the VCCSA to 1.20v via XMP so I'm understandably confused?

G.SKILL's require a tad more 'manhandling'...
June 30, 2012 8:06:42 PM

jaquith said:
It would seem so. Frankly, I'm confused what kit you have now? I get it's DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24-2N @ 1.50v. Most Corsair kits I've used set the VCCSA to 1.20v via XMP so I'm understandably confused?

G.SKILL's require a tad more 'manhandling'...

Here is what the stickers on the DIMMs say:

G.Skill F3-12800CL9Q2-32GBZL
DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 4GBx8 XMP CL-9-9-9-24 1.5V

So yes, you are correct about the 9-9-9-24-2N @ 1.5V.
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
June 30, 2012 9:55:36 PM

Yeah thought so, rather than reinventing the wheel see -> https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=17VKzOB5CL5EtIe... essentially you have to exceed the VCCSA Voltage recommendation and set it to 1.25v. It's your CPU never on mine.

DRAM Voltage AB & CD (both) to 1.55v
VCCSA -> Manual and VCCSA Voltage -> 1.25v
July 1, 2012 8:15:06 AM

jaquith said:
Yeah thought so, rather than reinventing the wheel see -> https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=17VKzOB5CL5EtIe... essentially you have to exceed the VCCSA Voltage recommendation and set it to 1.25v. It's your CPU never on mine.

DRAM Voltage AB & CD (both) to 1.55v
VCCSA -> Manual and VCCSA Voltage -> 1.25v

I know this document and it was one of the first options I considered. However, as far as I know, the Rampage has not only slightly different BIOS options, it's to my knowledge also equipped with a separate PSU connector for the memory, supposedly giving it more or more stable juice to the memory.

I packed the memory back into the box and I will try to replace it for 8GB sticks from G.Skill. Or at least replace the same memory for another kit that hopefully works. Since none of the BIOS settings worked, and since I get a memory error consistently at the same memory address, I figure that one of the sticks is faulty. It's actually only one bit that's faulty, it's always the exact same address and the same bit error.

I'm also in touch with G.Skill and the guys at their forum have offered to resolve it with their local importer, who happens to be the retail chain where i bought my PC. In that respect the G.Skill guys are really making an effort, unfortunately their local distributor is a tough case and their customer service really sucks.

Hope to be reporting some success soon.
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
July 1, 2012 10:16:23 AM

The document is misleading in that the only part I garnered out of it is the VCCSA Voltage, and since I've seen those screen shots used in other G.SKILL kits the DRAM Voltage is NOT correct for your kit, but I feel the VCCSA Voltage is correct.
July 1, 2012 4:52:05 PM

I thought so too. Can the high VCCSA voltage damage the CPU?
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
July 1, 2012 5:04:23 PM

powerhouse32 said:
I thought so too. Can the high VCCSA voltage damage the CPU?

YEP. There's (2) things that degrade the SB-E very quickly (most CPU's) excessive vCore >1.50v and VCCSA > 1.35v in no time flat and permanently. I personally refuse to exceed 1.45v vCore and 1.20v VCCSA; my typically OC is 1.40v but you MUST factor in additional vCore of +0.03v~+0.04v from LLC.

G.Skill's own admin states on the website VCCSA 1.10v and maximum 1.20v. See -> http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/313756-30-16gb-compat...

When I need OC'ing I simply boot into the BIOS and load a '4.8' Profile (F10) otherwise it's running 'Stock'. What's the point of running Chrome/FireFox/IE @ 4.8GHz?!
July 3, 2012 7:27:52 PM

Hello Jaquith,

With the help of G.Skill I finally managed to get the local importer/retailer to replace the memory. I will be upgrading to the 4x8GB G.Skill DDR3-1600 quad channel memory, which got good user reviews at Newegg.

The importer/retailer also will install and test the new memory in order to make sure there are no issues.

I never had memory issues in the past, except once when a module failed after some time. But I'm also not the overclocking guy. A stable system is all I'm asking for.

I must say that the G.Skill support is exemplary. Usually I would not expect the manufacturer to get involved directly into end user support. However, in my case the local support wasn't up to par and they took it on themselves to resolve the problem.

So, if all goes well and the memory modules arrive by the end of the week or early next week, I hope to finally have a working PC by next week.

I totally agree with you about overclocking - it should be done when needed.
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
July 3, 2012 9:36:03 PM

Let me know. Glad to hear G.SKILL is being so cool, that's always reassuring.
July 5, 2012 11:52:48 PM

Yep, the memory is on the way and G.Skill convinced their local distributor to replace the memory and test the PC. If all goes well I will have a working PC sometime next week.

Thanks for your support!
July 8, 2012 9:16:42 PM

The new memory will arrive tomorrow. Can't wait to get my PC up and running (fingers crossed).
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
July 8, 2012 10:25:41 PM

Let me know -- I hope the best! :) 
July 9, 2012 7:15:47 PM

I can tell you, this built is driving me nuts. The memory arrived and I brought the PC to the shop since they offered to install and test the memory.

The new memory kit is this:

G.Skill RipjawsZ F3-12800CL10Q-32GBZL (8Gx4) 10-10-10-30-2N 1.5V = 32GB

After resetting the CMOS and flashing the BIOS to the latest revision 1203, the technician turned on the PC and set the BIOS to XMP enabled. Then he turned it off, removed the power cord, and pressed the power button for a few seconds. After that he reconnected the power cord and turned on the PC. During POST it showed

"overclock fail" (or failure or failed?).

So, the technician believes this could be a sign of memory issues.

I never heard about this procedure (cold boot), but the guy said that this is one of their standard tests when building a system.

What do you suggest now?

What is your suggestion regarding the BIOS settings for this memory?

Here my complete configuration:

i7 3930K C2 stepping
Asus Sabertooth X79 motherboard
G.Skill RipjawsZ F3-12800CL10Q-32GBZL (8Gx4) 10-10-10-30-2N 1.5V = 32GB
Noctua D14 cooler
Seasonic Gold 670W power supply
PNY Quadro 600 (Nvidia) graphics card
Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD
WD20EARX hard drive
DVD RW drive
Corsair carbide 500 chassis

a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
July 9, 2012 8:39:10 PM

OC Failure press F1 is pretty common, and that can and often does happen on the first boot with new RAM or removing the processor.

The problem with many of the G.SKILL's is that they require a very high VCCSA voltage +0.05v above known save safe values.

BIOS (try):
F5 ; Load Optimized
AI Overclock Tuner -> XMP and Profile 1
VCCSA -> Manual
VCCSA Voltage -> 1.25v
F10 ; Save and Exit = Yes

ref - http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=431
July 9, 2012 10:01:59 PM

Thanks Jaquith!

I will have them try your settings. I was hoping that using only 4 DIMMs (4*8GB) will reduce the voltages (versus 8*4GB DIMMs I used before).

Do you know these settings to be save?

On the other hand, I believe the tech guy at the shop already tried higher VCCSA settings as he mentioned it when I talked to him on the phone.

I am not sure if this overclock failure appears when you do a normal reboot, or a shutdown and later boot the system. If I understood correctly, it only seems to happen when you do a cold boot, i.e. when the power has been disconnected before a boot. Not sure what this failure really means in practical terms.
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
July 9, 2012 10:18:19 PM

I accidentally said 'save' I meant' 'SAFE'; see the edit above. I won't allow any kit with >1.20v VCCSA in my (SB/IB/SB-E) PC. This is a problem with G.SKILL using cheap IC's in some of their Ripjaws Z and Ares lines which is why I specified Corsair.

If the Voltages or Frequency or CAS Timings fail at start-up you'll see the 'OC Failure press F1...' that doesn't bother me at all as long as the 'settings' required for stability aren't going to be harmful to my CPU.

You can 'try' a VCCSA of 1.20v and test the crap out of the RAM. My XMP profile sets mine at 1.20v but I manually reduced it to 1.10v and extensively tested the RAM.
July 9, 2012 10:47:17 PM

jaquith said:
I accidentally said 'save' I meant' 'SAFE'; see the edit above. I won't allow any kit with >1.20v VCCSA in my (SB/IB/SB-E) PC. This is a problem with G.SKILL using cheap IC's in some of their Ripjaws Z and Ares lines which is why I specified Corsair.

If the Voltages or Frequency or CAS Timings fail at start-up you'll see the 'OC Failure press F1...' that doesn't bother me at all as long as the 'settings' required for stability aren't going to be harmful to my CPU.

You can 'try' a VCCSA of 1.20v and test the crap out of the RAM. My XMP profile sets mine at 1.20v but I manually reduced it to 1.10v and extensively tested the RAM.

Thanks! Unfortunately the available Corsair 32GB kits won't fit in my rig. They are higher than the G.Skill and my my Noctua D14 CPU cooler doesn't have enough clearance to fit the Corsair with their high heat sinks. Of course I could switch to another cooler, but I'm not really happy about that since the Noctua seems to work nicely and is super quiet. Also, I doubt that most water coolers would perform as well (e.g. Corsair H80 or H100, or similar), unless with 4 fans in push-pull with more noise and fans and things to go wrong than with my air cooler.
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
July 9, 2012 11:23:18 PM

Then I'd choose a Mushkin 4x8GB kit; either of these are good - http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

You can unscrew the top headers off the Dominator's so they fit with no real loss in cooling. Now IF you decided to OC the Dominator's >Rated then you'd have an issue; the kits are designed to exceed their Rated spec values...

I run the H100 for a few reasons: Easier to maintain (couple sucks of the vacuum), No compatibility issues with any kits or PCIe slots (H100 requires 120x240mm but the H80 fits in any case), Less 'hot spots' from improved case airflow, etc... and I prefer the H100 looks. My H100 - http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af254/Jaquith/David...

Corsair H100 vs Noctua NH-D14

ref - http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1801/12/
July 10, 2012 7:46:06 AM

The technician just called me. Following yesterdays OC fail issue with the G.Skill memory, he replaced it with Kingston 9-9-9-27 DDR3-1600 memory and since he didn't have a 32GB kit he installed a 16GB kit and two 8GB kits - 8 DIMMs in total. With XMP enabled after installing the first 16GB kit, and adding the other two kits, he ran Prime95 all night with zero errors and no core shutdowns. Also, a cold reboot wouldn't cause an OC fail message.

At least now I know the motherboard / CPU / and PSU are working fine.

I advised him now to reinstall the G.Skill memory and run the same Prime95 test to see how the G.Skill does.

Any idea or advice about Kingston? The technician said it runs on 1.65V but that shouldn't influence the CPU as the CPU voltages stay low (VCCSA, etc.).

EDIT: I'm talking about 2 Kingston HyperX Quad channel DDR3-1600 9-9-9-27 kits - see here http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/KHX1600C9D3K4_16GX.pdf
July 10, 2012 7:51:50 AM

Hey Jaquith, thanks for the cooler comparison. Looks like H100 does well. Is that with 4 fans (push-pull) or the ordinary 2 fan setup?

Re the memory, I want to give G.Skill another try, but if it fails in the memory test or stress test I'm going to switch to probably Kingston.
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
July 10, 2012 11:53:16 AM

Any kit if the VCCSA needs to be greater than 1.20v then it's not anything I'd use. I still am really confused why that shop can't get the RAM I suggested.

H100 there's no mention of 4 fans or push/pull and since the 'rating' is based upon value then I'd feel very safe it's the kit and the kit has 2 fans.
!