Sign in with
Your question

Surge protector freak out. Why?

Last response: in Systems
March 26, 2011 1:25:22 AM

Okay, so I built my new machine back in December. Today is the first day since New Years Eve that I've actually been able to use it (two *** motherboards, a bad video card, weeks of RMA'ing and two different pc repair shops for help with diagnostics... uhg). Yup. Nearly 4 months without a computer. After all the crap I've gone through, I hardly trust it as far as I can throw it but everything seemed to be going smooth. For about 30 minutes. My surge protector gave me the long, ear-piercing beep that means "overload - shut down everything RIGHT NOW". The thing is, I only had my monitor, computer, and speakers hooked up. External hdd for a few mins. How could this be an overload?

I have this surge protector:
http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/products/ups-systems/o...

i7-950
asus p6x58d - premium
msi gtx 460 1gb
750w corsair psu and 6gb corsair ram
1tb hdd
ViewSonic VP2365WB 23-Inch IPS

Am I really overloading or could something else be wrong? :( ... is my monitor jacked? could that be what fried my old video card in the first place? arrrrrrg.

More about : surge protector freak

a b B Homebuilt system
March 26, 2011 1:51:36 AM

Your battery back up is only rated for 230W, im not surprised that its unhappy with a setup like that trying to run off of it, above a minor load you will be at or exceeding its wattage rating which risks damaging the UPS, you will NOT be able to run that system on that UPS, the UPS wont survive.
m
l
March 26, 2011 2:00:45 AM

Awesome. I was wonder about that but I don't know how to figure out how many watts I need on a UPS. I'm so glad I trusted the ~super knowledgeable~ guy at the shop when he told me to get that one after being so intimate with my computer (sarcasm).

How can I figure out how powerful of a ups I will need?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 26, 2011 2:07:29 AM

One with 650W and 650VA or more should be sufficient. Your PSU has active PFC so you dont really need to worry about the VA too much, they will be equal to the watts in this case. About 150W for the CPU, 50W for the motherboard, 25W for the fans and optical drive, 175W for the GPU, that all comes out to be about 400W, divide by 0.8 to account for efficiency and that gives you 500W for the computer, about 50W for the monitor and 100W of overhead to be safe.
m
l
!