Xbox 360 or HTPC

Ned612

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
So posted this in the "Ask the community" box... but not sure where that post too... Sorry for double post if it did post. Also was not completely sure where to post this topic - didn't see a HTPC forum :/

Right now I use a original xbox modded with a 500g and XBMC as my HTPC. I usually just download on my desktop and play it over the network fine. Only thing is the Original Xbox cant even do 720p w/o lagging and no HDMI out. I have also had a lot of issues with it and windows 7. So I am looking to finnaly upgrade my HTPC.

Should I just go with the new XBOX slim 4g for $200? It seems like it will cost a lot more to build a HTPC w/ a remote, network steaming at least at 720p, HDMI out and Netflix capabilities. Plus the extra bonus of games. The choice seems obvious but is it too good to be true? If so, what is a good HTPC build with the same features for around my budget (doesn't need WiFi, but always a bonus).

Solution
I think the only major cons using an xbox 360 as an HTPC are as follows:

- Limited codec support
- Limited container support (no mkv, I believe)
- No blu-ray
- No TV tuner support

If you just want to stream Netflix or some MP4's, AVI's, or recorded TV from another computer it is a fantastic piece of equipment. If you want a "gaming" HTPC (assuming 1080p), you're going to have to pony up some more $$$.

Ned612

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
How much would you have to spend to make something better than the xbox? Why would I want the kinect bundle? I would mainly be getting the xbox for a HTPC, not a gaming console. It being a gaming console would be a bonus though. Anyone that uses a xbox for a HTPC have any issues/cons with it?

I think the only major cons using an xbox 360 as an HTPC are as follows:

- Limited codec support
- Limited container support (no mkv, I believe)
- No blu-ray
- No TV tuner support

If you just want to stream Netflix or some MP4's, AVI's, or recorded TV from another computer it is a fantastic piece of equipment. If you want a "gaming" HTPC (assuming 1080p), you're going to have to pony up some more $$$.

Solution

Ned612

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
Well all those cons don't effect me to much. I don't care for blu-ray, already used to being limited on codec with current HTPC (Orig Xbox), and TV tuner is a downer, but can live without for the price.