ASUS Motherboards. Need help with new BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

neffian

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2012
So, I'm thinking about making a major upgrade to my system soon. I'm currently rocking a M4a78lt-m le, but I'd really like to get one of the new AMD FX processors. So, looking at the supported CPU's section for my current board, means I'll need a new board too.
The problem I have is simple:

The boards I'm looking at buying (M5A78L boards) would require a BIOS update to hold the new AMD FX's. The original BIOS for the board was 319, but they need BIOS 403 or 503.

So,

Would I need to buy the board, connect it together with my current CPU (which is compatible on the 319 BIOS) then flash the BIOS and update it to 403/503, OR would I be ok buying the board and FX CPU at the same time, connecting both together and starting up that way?

What I'm asking in simple terms is: Will the Motherboard 1) Already have been updated to the most recent BIOS by the manufacturer? 2) Will it automatically ask me to update the BIOS when I install the CPU? or 3) Will I need to boot with an older CPU, update the BIOS, then dismantle, attach the new FX CPU and boot it up once again?

I know this is a noob question, but I like to know what I'm doing before I do it (especially with expensive pieces of tech!) So i'll be thankful for ANY help/input that you can give.

Thanks in advance - Neffian.

Solution
G

depends if the motherboard was manufactured after the latest BIOS update

no. a bios does not have "automatic" updates.

depending on question 1, yes. but boot into your operating system before shutting down to install your new cpu.
fully read the instructions on how to "flash" your bios on the asus web site before doing so.

hope i helped.
G

depends if the motherboard was manufactured after the latest BIOS update

no. a bios does not have "automatic" updates.

depending on question 1, yes. but boot into your operating system before shutting down to install your new cpu.
fully read the instructions on how to "flash" your bios on the asus web site before doing so.

hope i helped.

Solution

neffian

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2012

Thanks a lot for the help there! It was really useful! I think I'll just try and get a newly manufactured board, as I've never tried changing the BIOS on a board (as you may have been able to tell :D ) and I'm aware that I could really mess up the chip on my board. Thanks again! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.