voice mail questions

I've searched this group and the web and been unable to find the correct
procedure for me, a new Cingular customer, setting up my voicemail for
the first time. If anything below seems odd please let me know. I'll
call Cingular for help again when they open on Monday.

My programmed voice mail number begins with area code 432 but my home
area code is 325.

When I press and hold 1 the 432 number is dialed and I'm taken through
the following prompts:

Welcome to your voice information processing system.

If you have a mailbox on this system please press pound.

Please enter the mailbox number specified by your system manager.

[The number you entered] is not a recognized mailbox number.

I have tried entering both my 10 or 7 digit Cingular phone number as a
mailbox number. According to Cingular's website my 10 digit number is my
mailbox number.

Dialing *99 tells me I've dialed a wrong number.

http://www.cingular.com/customer_service/common_questions

In Texas, North Florida, and Alabama, follow these steps.
http://ciqext.cingular.com/Facets/Voicemail/External/nonstandardized_voic
e_mail_setup_external.htm

Follow these steps to set up your voice mail.

1. From your home area, press *99 and then Send, Yes or Talk key.

2. You will be prompted with step-by-step instructions for setting up
your voice mail. This process will be complete when you have created
your passcode, and recorded your name and your personal greeting.

In all other areas, follow these steps.
http://ciqext.cingular.com/Facets/Voicemail/External/standardized_voice_m
ail_setup_external.htm

Follow the steps below to set up your voice mail for the first time.

1. Press and hold the 1 key.

brashen trell wrote:
> I've searched this group and the web and been unable to find the correct
> procedure for me, a new Cingular customer, setting up my voicemail for
> the first time. If anything below seems odd please let me know. I'll
> call Cingular for help again when they open on Monday.
>

> My programmed voice mail number begins with area code 432 but my home
> area code is 325.
>
> When I press and hold 1 the 432 number is dialed and I'm taken through
> the following prompts:
>
> Welcome to your voice information processing system.
>
> If you have a mailbox on this system please press pound.
>
> Please enter the mailbox number specified by your system manager.
>
> [The number you entered] is not a recognized mailbox number.
>
> I have tried entering both my 10 or 7 digit Cingular phone number as a
> mailbox number. According to Cingular's website my 10 digit number is my
> mailbox number.

You don't say what phone you have but I had problems initially with VM
which were traced back to the defective 64K SIM they gave me.

Try this. From your cell phone dial your 10 digit number and see if
that gets you anywhere. I'm not sure what the temp password is anymore
since my VM was preexisting on the account with the same phone number.

It's worth a shot but it may just be a screwup at Cingular - lord knows
they happen - and will have to wait for some human intervention at their
end.

In article <p3Che.3076$j17.788@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>,
Unquestionably Confused <puzzled2@ameritech.net> wrote:

> brashen trell wrote:
> > I've searched this group and the web and been unable to find the correct
> > procedure for me, a new Cingular customer, setting up my voicemail for
> > the first time. If anything below seems odd please let me know. I'll
> > call Cingular for help again when they open on Monday.
> >

> > My programmed voice mail number begins with area code 432 but my home
> > area code is 325.
> >
> > When I press and hold 1 the 432 number is dialed and I'm taken through
> > the following prompts:
> >
> > Welcome to your voice information processing system.
> >
> > If you have a mailbox on this system please press pound.
> >
> > Please enter the mailbox number specified by your system manager.
> >
> > [The number you entered] is not a recognized mailbox number.
> >
> > I have tried entering both my 10 or 7 digit Cingular phone number as a
> > mailbox number. According to Cingular's website my 10 digit number is my
> > mailbox number.
>
> You don't say what phone you have but I had problems initially with VM
> which were traced back to the defective 64K SIM they gave me.
>
> Try this. From your cell phone dial your 10 digit number and see if
> that gets you anywhere. I'm not sure what the temp password is anymore
> since my VM was preexisting on the account with the same phone number.
>
> It's worth a shot but it may just be a screwup at Cingular - lord knows
> they happen - and will have to wait for some human intervention at their
> end.

Treo 650
64K SIM

When I dial my own Cingular number from my Treo 650 I hear a busy beep
sound and get the following message on the screen of my Treo.
"Line is busy. Redial?"

From what I've read on the forums and on the web you're supposed to
reach your own voicemail when you dial your number from your phone?

Yep, I still plan to call 'em when they open Monday AM. Unfortunately I
won't be in my local area Monday and last time I called they said that
was the problem. Today I am in my local area so apparently that wasn't
the only problem.

TIA

Jer

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2004

brashen trell wrote:
> I've searched this group and the web and been unable to find the correct
> procedure for me, a new Cingular customer, setting up my voicemail for
> the first time. If anything below seems odd please let me know. I'll
> call Cingular for help again when they open on Monday.
>

> My programmed voice mail number begins with area code 432 but my home
> area code is 325.
>
> When I press and hold 1 the 432 number is dialed and I'm taken through
> the following prompts:
>
> Welcome to your voice information processing system.
>
> If you have a mailbox on this system please press pound.
>
> Please enter the mailbox number specified by your system manager.
>
> [The number you entered] is not a recognized mailbox number.
>
> I have tried entering both my 10 or 7 digit Cingular phone number as a
> mailbox number. According to Cingular's website my 10 digit number is my
> mailbox number.
>
> Dialing *99 tells me I've dialed a wrong number.
>

> http://www.cingular.com/customer_service/common_questions
>
> In Texas, North Florida, and Alabama, follow these steps.
> http://ciqext.cingular.com/Facets/Voicemail/External/nonstandardized_voic
> e_mail_setup_external.htm
>
> Follow these steps to set up your voice mail.
>
> 1. From your home area, press *99 and then Send, Yes or Talk key.
>
> 2. You will be prompted with step-by-step instructions for setting up
> your voice mail. This process will be complete when you have created
> your passcode, and recorded your name and your personal greeting.
>
> In all other areas, follow these steps.
> http://ciqext.cingular.com/Facets/Voicemail/External/standardized_voice_m
> ail_setup_external.htm
>
> Follow the steps below to set up your voice mail for the first time.
>
> 1. Press and hold the 1 key.
>
> 2. You will be prompted with step-by-step instructions for setting up
> your voice mail. This process will be complete when you have created
> your passcode, and recorded your name and your personal greeting.

This question is simple enough to offer an educated guess. It sounds
like your new account has been provisioned on the switch, but not
provisioned on the VM system. Each requires their own process, and the
VM part failed. Once they've created your account on the VM system, it
should work okay.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

In article <p3Che.3076$j17.788@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>,
Unquestionably Confused <puzzled2@ameritech.net> wrote:

> brashen trell wrote:
> > I've searched this group and the web and been unable to find the correct
> > procedure for me, a new Cingular customer, setting up my voicemail for
> > the first time. If anything below seems odd please let me know. I'll
> > call Cingular for help again when they open on Monday.
> >

> > My programmed voice mail number begins with area code 432 but my home
> > area code is 325.
> >
> > When I press and hold 1 the 432 number is dialed and I'm taken through
> > the following prompts:
> >
> > Welcome to your voice information processing system.
> >
> > If you have a mailbox on this system please press pound.
> >
> > Please enter the mailbox number specified by your system manager.
> >
> > [The number you entered] is not a recognized mailbox number.
> >
> > I have tried entering both my 10 or 7 digit Cingular phone number as a
> > mailbox number. According to Cingular's website my 10 digit number is my
> > mailbox number.
>
> You don't say what phone you have but I had problems initially with VM
> which were traced back to the defective 64K SIM they gave me.
>
> Try this. From your cell phone dial your 10 digit number and see if
> that gets you anywhere. I'm not sure what the temp password is anymore
> since my VM was preexisting on the account with the same phone number.
>
> It's worth a shot but it may just be a screwup at Cingular - lord knows
> they happen - and will have to wait for some human intervention at their
> end.

Treo 650
64K SIM

When I dial my own Cingular number from my Treo 650 I hear a busy beep
sound and get the following message on the screen of my Treo.
"Line is busy. Redial?"

From what I've read on the forums and on the web you're supposed to
reach your own voicemail when you dial your number from your phone?

Yep, I still plan to call 'em when they open Monday AM. Unfortunately I
won't be in my local area Monday and last time I called they said that
was the problem. Today I am in my local area so apparently that wasn't
the only problem.

TIA

Joseph

Distinguished
May 19, 2002

On Sun, 15 May 2005 14:43:32 GMT, caleban
<caleban@starsourdestination.org> wrote:

>Yep, I still plan to call 'em when they open Monday AM. Unfortunately I
>won't be in my local area Monday and last time I called they said that
>was the problem. Today I am in my local area so apparently that wasn't
>the only problem.

Are you saying that you have to wait til Monday to call customer care?
A real wireless company probably has people on call 24 hours :)

brashen trell wrote:
> I've searched this group and the web and been unable to find the
correct
> procedure for me, a new Cingular customer, setting up my voicemail
for
> the first time. If anything below seems odd please let me know. I'll
> call Cingular for help again when they open on Monday.

Hello brashen,

This is Kevin from palmOne. As suggested, this could very well be a
carrier issue, which falls beyond my purview. But just to follow-up,
have you installed the Treo 650 Voicemail Updater 1.04 for Cingular
Wireless? If not, you can read more about it and install it from
http://www.palmone.com/us/support/downloads/treo/Treo650VoicemailUpdater.html

Sincerely
Kevin
__________________
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
Kevin Michaels
kevin.michaels@palmOne.com
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
Check out what's new at
http://www.palmone.com/

In article <1116366531.668692.259420@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
kevin.michaels@palmone.com wrote:

> brashen trell wrote:
> > I've searched this group and the web and been unable to find the
> correct
> > procedure for me, a new Cingular customer, setting up my voicemail
> for
> > the first time. If anything below seems odd please let me know. I'll
> > call Cingular for help again when they open on Monday.
>
> Hello brashen,
>
> This is Kevin from palmOne. As suggested, this could very well be a
> carrier issue, which falls beyond my purview. But just to follow-up,
> have you installed the Treo 650 Voicemail Updater 1.04 for Cingular
> Wireless? If not, you can read more about it and install it from
> http://www.palmone.com/us/support/downloads/treo/Treo650VoicemailUpdater.html
>
> Sincerely
> Kevin
> __________________
> - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> Kevin Michaels
> kevin.michaels@palmOne.com
> - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> Check out what's new at
> http://www.palmone.com/

Thanks a bunch for all the input. I visited the above url last week and
checked my firmware is 1.04-CNG so it wasn't necessary.

RESOLVED.
I called Cingular yesterday, explained the problem, they looked at my
account and said something wasn't turned on, turned it on, and
immediately my voicemail worked as intended.

An aside, against Cingular my unlimited data and voicemail both weren't
set up properly each required a call to resolve the issue. In Cingular's
favor however one 5 minute phone call resolved each issue and despite
the hiccup I'm satisfied.

Brashen.