Sign in with
Your question

Random Restarts under load

Last response: in Systems
March 26, 2011 12:33:16 PM

Hi,

I just built my newest computer because my old power supply crapped out and presumably took the main board with it.

So i built the following

4X4GB ripjaw 1600mhz memory
As Rock Fatality P67 mainboard

Im running 2 sata 3g drives and a GTX470

All of this is powered by a new Corsair HX 850 power supply

First problem is the memory wont run at 9 9 9 24 like its supposed to with 4 sticks in itll only run at 9 9 9 28

Next problem is that even without overclocking, im getting random restarts under heavy load. If i go to just 2 sticks of ram it seems to happen quite a bit less but still happens.

Ive already swapped out the power supply and ruled that out.

I ran Mem test for a full day with no errors.

so it looks like either processor or main board

how do i figure out which one?

Ive taken everything apart and put it back together already once so its not a reseating issue.

More about : random restarts load

a c 90 B Homebuilt system
a c 139 ) Power supply
March 26, 2011 12:56:01 PM

Hello ShaftSlinger;

Got the specific model of your RAM kit?
m
l
a c 90 B Homebuilt system
a c 139 ) Power supply
March 26, 2011 12:57:00 PM

How stable is it with just 1 stick of RAM?
m
l
Related resources
March 26, 2011 10:05:06 PM

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

Ill test it and see if its any better with just 1 stick.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 27, 2011 2:34:01 AM

That power supply will drive just about anything..... bad form swapping it out

You should know that your ability to OC RAM with two (2) sticks is far better than what you can hope to achieve with four (4) sticks. That's true for AMD and Intel. Any motherboard. For ANY CPU they make, ah, yeah ... PERIOD

That soap box statement made, what a particular set of RAM can do is highly dependent on Voltage too. Your VERY unlikely to run four (4) stick of RAM at 1600 Mhz on any CPU.....

It's Not your CPU.

It's Not your MB.

m
l
March 27, 2011 12:51:59 PM

Ok i tried it with just 2 sticks at 4Ghz and i get restarts.
Then i tried 2 sticks with it locked at 1333mhz and cpu at 4.2 ghz and i dont get random restarts but i get program hangs and not responsing.
Then tried with 1 Stick and get the same.

It runs ok at stock speed with 4 sticks at 1600 but any OC at all gives restarts or program hangs.

My prior build was a q6600 with 4 sticks of 2 gb and i could OC it to 3.2 from 2.4 so maybe im just lucky on that one.

Im wondering if this Main board doesnt have very good voltage control on the ram sticks?

if it matters im running Vista 64
m
l
a b ) Power supply
March 27, 2011 1:13:49 PM

Well with any OC install the configuration you want to run, how many RAM sticks in this case....

On a new build I run all stock for a couple weeks to be sure all the parts are good.....

Then I start, SLOWLY working my way up on the CPU OC, with STOCK voltages run a few stability test like Prime95 before moving on. Then, when things start to crash or freeze, back off about 2 or 3 steps. Then run that for a week or two to assure your solid. That's one OC setting for me...

Then, I start bumping up the voltages to see how far I can take it.

I usually go for the fastest CPU setting I can, and then accept whatever speed I get on the RAM....
m
l
March 27, 2011 6:17:51 PM

does it seem likely i jsut got a crappy CPU and literally cant get a single MHZ overclock or do i have a crappy main board.

Which one is the weak link here?

I think its suspect that i cant OC even a bit when i bought As rocks flagship motherboard and a 2500k
m
l
!