Sign in with
Your question

Budget pc for use with Ubuntu Studio

Last response: in Systems
March 26, 2011 12:48:17 PM

Hey all, this will be my first build and so I wanted to get some feedback before taking the plunge...I plan on dual booting Ubuntu Studio for audio editing and WinXP for "normal" home use. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Approximate Purchase Date: This week

Budget Range: less than $600

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Music production/editing (will be dual booting Ubuntu Studio for work and WinXP for leisure), Itunes management, web browsing/video streaming

Parts Not Required: DVD burner, case, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: Reusing my full-size ATX case from my circa 2006 Gateway, other than that just looking for best bang for the buck. No real plans to use this system for gaming, and onboard video will be just fine.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Additional Comments: I would like the PC to be reasonably quiet, but willing to make sacrifices in that area in favor of performance per dollar. Here is what I have spec'd out so far:

Motherboard:
ASUS P8H67-M PRO/CSM (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU:
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K

Memory:
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL8D-4GBXM

Power Supply:
Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W Continuous power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Hard Drive:
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

More about : budget ubuntu studio

March 26, 2011 4:43:51 PM

Hello Vincent Frank;

You'd picked the i5 2500K with the unlocked multiplier for overclocking and matched it with the H67 motherboard which does not support overclocking. You'd want a P67 board to allow for overclocking the CPU. But with the P67 you can't use the integrated HD 2000 GPU.

Since it doesnt appear you plan to overclock grab the less expensive i5 2500 instead. It's a great match with the H67 motherboard.
m
l
March 26, 2011 4:55:08 PM

Im sure you saw that extra 10% off w/ promo code An10psu, ends 3/27
for the Antec EA 380 PSU.

For some reason I'm not seeing any WinXP drivers on the ASUS P8H67-M PRO/CSM webpage.
m
l
Related resources
March 26, 2011 5:03:13 PM

For every other model of Asus H67/H61 motherboard I can see the WinXP drivers - just not the ASUS P8H67-M PRO/CSM.
Now that might mean the XP drivers on are the CD that comes with the motherboard. But it leaves me with an slightly uneasy feeling.

m
l
March 26, 2011 5:57:32 PM

Hi WR2, thank you for the responses; that is a big help. I'm going to drop the K and go with either the 2400 or 2500. The motherboard drivers is a bit worrisome, but I have a feeling it's a bug on their website, because the drop down menu is completely empty. I'd be more worried if there were other OS's populating the drop down and XP was missing. Still, makes me pause. How do you feel about the choice of memory? Should I go with Corsair instead?
m
l
March 26, 2011 6:01:54 PM

Also, will the power supply I chose be sufficient? I may order that right away, since the discount will expire. Thanks again!
m
l
March 26, 2011 6:22:10 PM

I feel good about your choice of that CL8 DDR3 1333 G.Skill RAM
But I did look around and found another set @ the same price but with free shipping, also CL8 and quite a few more customer Feedback reviews:
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1333 Kit F3-10600CL8D-4GBHK

I checked one of the other Asus CSM (P7Q57-M DO corporate stable model) motherboards and found they offered driver updates (including XP) so I'm thinking you're probably right.

The PSU is more than you'd need for your build. Plenty of power in reserve for future expansion. And the relatively low power loading will help keep the PSU running quiet as well. It has a good reputation for being quiet.

The 'green' part of the Earthwatts models means they don't ship with AC power cords. The idea is that you 'recycle' an old one.
m
l
March 26, 2011 8:46:09 PM

Thanks WR2, this has been immensely helpful! Time to break out the credit card. This is coming out to $449 before shipping (going with the i5 2400 to save a few bucks). Not too shabby!
m
l
March 26, 2011 8:50:27 PM

I think you're in good shape to carry on.

Be sure to let us know how things work out.

Here is a Step-by-Step Guide to Building a PC

Look over the forum's "System won't boot" checklist to see some of the common build errors and how to avoid them.

-> The usual advice; read the manual / install guide; look at the parts, read the manual again and if everything makes sense and looks right - then go ahead with the install.

While you're waiting for delivery you can download the online version of the motherboard manual and start getting familiar with it. Same for the other parts you want to order if they have install guides or manuals available.
m
l
April 3, 2011 2:28:47 PM

Well, typing this from my new build, and it came out fantastic! I ended up going with a Biostar TH67+ mobo due to ASUS availability issues and I'm very happy with it. I ran into no significant hiccups while building...the system is lightning fast and whisper quiet. The i5 had thermal compound pre-applied to it, so it was only a matter of snapping everything into place and figuring out decent wire management. Thanks again for taking the time to clear up a few things!
m
l
April 3, 2011 5:00:07 PM

Good news! Thanks for taking the time to let us know how things turned out.
m
l
!