Solved

Use current PSU in new build or buy new one?

I'm not sure whether I should use my current power supply with my new build or buy a new one. My current PSU is a 750w Dell one that was stock for my XPS 630i. I believe the model is 'DT50E', but I don't even know if there is any info out there about it. I plan on using my current GPU, a GTX 460, so I know 750w is enough. However, since my current power supply is ~3 years old and a somewhat mysterious Dell model, would it be better to buy a new one? I haven't decided on a motherboard, and I'll probably get an i5-2500K. This could be an easy decision, but I don't really know much about PSUs.
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about current build
  1. You have one thing going for you. You know it works, and is sufficient for a GTX460.
    I would keep it and plan on using it.

That said, I am leery of unknown psu's. A bad one, or cheap one can cause damage to other parts.

The psu should have a data plate, giving the power specs and a UL code. The ul code might lead you to who made it.
  2. Best answer
    OEM PSU's won't exactly be crap. They do work for the rig they come with. On that note, I guess a 750W PSU from dell will surely be good to handle a GTX 460 rig. Moreover, its one from the XPS range. So should be pretty much standard.
  3. Yeah, I guess it would be safe to trust it since its an XPS. Thanks for the help, both of you.
  4. Best answer selected by riokou.
  5. from the xps dell range?
    its a delta midrange unit comparable to the antec earthwatts range at best so a pretty average psu enough for sli 460's or a single gtx 570

is this the label on yours

6. Yep that's the one.
  7. a bit low for a 750 watt but it should do its rated wattage but are you gonna use the same case over again because i think it may have dell propriety connectors
  8. I would not call a 12 volt wattage of 732(61 amps combined on all 4 rails) watts on a 750 watt psu low at all.

To be honest, should run a hell of a lot of hardware with that thing.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies New Build Components