Using 2 PSUs

hengehog45

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011
I'm thinking about building a Server, as a home project and as part of a course that I'm doing. I have an extra large ATX tower case that can easily accomodate a server board. In-fact it may have been a server case.
What I would like to be able to do is have two PSU's (both powering the same m'board) in such a way that I have full redunancy, so that in the event of one failing it should be possible to 'hot swap' the failed unit while the still-functioning unit continues to deliver uninterrupted power to the 'board.
I want to be able to use standard ATX PSUs. This may involve the designing of somekind of circuit-board into which both PSU's are plugged that would then Mannage them. Are there any electronics wizzards on this forum?

Hello hengehog45;

It's not the first time this question has come up. Although the greater villain might be the electrical grid and not the PSU failing.

Why don't you hop on over into the CPU & Components area of the Forum where the Power Supplies, Cases & Mods section is located and ask there.

hengehog45

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011

Good Point! Of course a real server would never be used without a UPS. Thanks