Short temporary system hangs

Last response: in Systems
March 26, 2011 2:00:48 PM

Hello,

System:
Spoiler

Processor: Intel i7 Sandy Bridge 2600k
Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme
Hard drives: Crucial 128 GB Crucial RealSSD C300 Series and a couple of WD spinners
GPU: XFX AMD Radeon HD 6790
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

I am having short, up to 1 second long, system hangs once in a while on my new build, it seems more frequent while running games and other intensive programs.
I am worried that it has something to do with damaged hardware but haven't ruled out software issues.
I've tried many things and I am at a loss to how to continue except to try a fresh install.
Any feedback would be much appreciated.
It involves a long and interesting, to me at least xD, story... I hope you bear with it even if to just check out a silly newbie's mistakes xD
If not, please just check out what I tried and leave a feedback based on the above information.

Background:
Spoiler

About two months ago, I purchased a lower end gigabyte socket 1155 motherboard as a temporary motherboard for my new Sandy Bridge system until the revised versions of Maximus IV Extreme became available.
Everything went smoothly and with a standard Windows 7 Ultimate install, everything worked perfectly.
For better or worse, I received my new motherboard earlier this week which prompted me to replace the motherboard and do a fresh install of everything.
This time I decided to be a little adventurous and customize my OS installation. After a fresh install, in CMD while running the Windows installation disc from boot, I robocopied my Users folder to a spinner, my OS is installed on an SSD, and create a junction using mklink function.
I booted it up.... and everything seemed fine.
I updated Window and drivers then installed a couple of useful programs, i.e. firefox, itunes, cpu-z, on a yet different hard drive, I didn't want to get too adventurous and make junctions for programs folders when drivers and other things were already installed.
Everything seemed fine, except some cursor pauses, in the very short time I ran the system, so I turned it off and overclocked the cpu and the memory a little.
Booted it up again and this time I tested the system for a much longer time, which I should have done earlier.
In the first hour of testing I started to noticed short system hangs, up to a second long. Cursor, screen and sound all hung making repetitive and annoying sound every time. I began to get worried so I decided to find out what the issue was.

Attempts to fix the problem:
Spoiler
The very first thing I tried was to run the system at stock speeds. No joy.
I also checked all the temperatures. CPU at 58c, everything at a much lower temp.
Then I looked for driver updates again. They were all current.
I rebooted into memtest86 and let it run for 2 hours. All seemed fine.
I tried running the system in safemode but since nothing can run, games, movies, etc, I couldn't really tell. Also seemed like the there were no cursor pauses but everything was so fast I didn't know what to make of it; folders and files seem to load the instant my cursor even touched it.
I shut down everything and uninstalled gpu and the memory. Reintalled gpu and the memory after shuffling them.
I also made sure all the sata connectors were correctly connected.
Because of the nature of my install, I couldn't really try unplugging my secondary hdds to see if they were the issue x.x
I tried a few other routine things and now I am out of ideas except to try a fresh install.
Again, any help would be appreciated.

Edit: Oh and if I leave the computer on for a couple of hours and come back, it seems to have shut down improperly on it's own. I have yet to see it happen in action. I am running on a ridiculous 1500w power supply so I don't think that's the issue.
a b B Homebuilt system
March 26, 2011 2:29:09 PM

Power can always be an issue, if it's not good power. What is the make and model of your power supply?

Also, although it sucks, even with an unlocked multiplier, OC'ing a processor doesn't mean you won't permanently damage components in your system (including the CPU itself). This is why you void just about all system components' warranties through OC'ing. Think about it... What better way is there for a company to avoid warranty expenses than to encourage its customers to void their warranty? This is definitely a risk.
m
l
March 26, 2011 9:20:09 PM

Silverstone ST1500 1500W Power Supply is the one in my system.
There were no power issues I can recall when I was using the gigabyte motherboard.

What you say about OC'ing makes perfect sense. Though I sincerely hope that didn't cause the problem, if the memory was damaged by OC'ing, of itself and the processor, would it definitely show up on memtest86? I've been through many google search pages regarding system hangs and I see many people suggesting memory problems. And if so, should I go about testing it?
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
March 27, 2011 1:55:25 AM

Vinc K said:
Silverstone ST1500 1500W Power Supply is the one in my system.
There were no power issues I can recall when I was using the gigabyte motherboard.

What you say about OC'ing makes perfect sense. Though I sincerely hope that didn't cause the problem, if the memory was damaged by OC'ing, of itself and the processor, would it definitely show up on memtest86? I've been through many google search pages regarding system hangs and I see many people suggesting memory problems. And if so, should I go about testing it?

Ah! :na:  I want that power supply! Mine is the only thing keeping me from dropping a 3rd 580 into my system tomorrow.

Anyhow... back to the issue...

Let's rule out the memory through a couple more procedures

Another way to test the memory is through the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool. Run the test.

This would be good as a double-check for the memory.

The other thing you can try is running with only one module then switch one out for the other and see if either gives you any trouble.

Then you can run a disk diagnostic.

By chance, do you have any issue when you plug something into the USB port when you're in the Windows environment?
m
l
March 27, 2011 3:48:57 AM

Thank you so much for your feedback so far.

I've ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool; Windows reports that no errors were found.
I've also tried running with one module for all four modules. There were no discernible differences in system stability for all four boots. I did still get those short system hangs on all four cases :( 

I haven't noticed any USB issues.
Peripherals that start out with the system while booting seems to work fine and those that I plugged in while system was in Windows also seems to work correctly.
USB thumb drives, mouse, keyboard, microphone and external enclosure.

That was why I choose to get this psu as well.
I wanted to, eventually, add 2 more Radeon HD 6970s.
That and I wanted to run things in raid 10... also eventually :na: 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 27, 2011 12:18:56 PM

Did your SSD come with any diagnostic software? I'm guessing this is your boot device? It will be easy to rule out the disk with a diagnostic tool.

About 3 months ago, I bought a bad video card that caused this type of behavior. After I added said video card, the system would exhibit various issues from shutdowns to bluescreens to double POSTs on startup to extended POST times. I exchanged it for a new one and the system worked fine.

More and more, it's looking like this might be your issue.
m
l
March 28, 2011 2:08:26 AM

My SSD didn't come with any diagnostic tools. I also checked Crucial's website and I couldn't find one.
I did, however, run error checking for all the drives and apparently they are all fine as well = /

It's interesting that you mention your issue with your video card. I didn't think much of it, in fact I didn't even know that it was called double POSTs, but when my system was still set up with the gigabyte motherboard, I had that issue with some frequency.
I don't have that problem with this motherboard.
I didn't and don't get bluescreens though.

Also, I just thought of it as I am writing this so I haven't had the chance to check, I think it improperly shuts down when it goes to sleep.

Edit: I tested my theory and it seems to hold. I put my computer to sleep and I couldn't wake it. I ended up pressing the power button and it booted from scratch then asked me to choose boot method because of a bad shut down.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 28, 2011 2:37:53 AM

Vinc K said:
My SSD didn't come with any diagnostic tools. I also checked Crucial's website and I couldn't find one.
I did, however, run error checking for all the drives and apparently they are all fine as well = /

It's interesting that you mention your issue with your video card. I didn't think much of it, in fact I didn't even know that it was called double POSTs, but when my system was still set up with the gigabyte motherboard, I had that issue with some frequency.
I don't have that problem with this motherboard.
I didn't and don't get bluescreens though.

Also, I just thought of it as I am writing this so I haven't had the chance to check, I think it improperly shuts down when it goes to sleep.

Edit: I tested my theory and it seems to hold. I put my computer to sleep and I couldn't wake it. I ended up pressing the power button and it booted from scratch then asked me to choose boot method because of a bad shut down.

It was my second 5850. It was my first exposure to crossfire and made me a little gun shy. Regardless of my worries, I took it back and got a new one and it worked fine with the exception of various driver issues; one of which was a wake from sleep issue. The card wouldn't wake up. This almost seems like one of your issues. I ended up putting my PC in 'always on' mode until driver release 10.12 cleared it up. When I had a crossfire setup, my issues would come and go with each driver release. My single AMD setups continue to work without issue.

Also, the double post... I just made that term up because it conveys the message it would startup, beep, seem to POST, then restart and proceed to windows. Bad video cards can cause issues similar to RAM issues. Do you have an old video card available to see if you experience that pausing issue with that as well?
m
l
March 28, 2011 4:06:50 AM

Again, thx for the help so far.

To be perfectly frank, I was HOPING that it was the video card while I was switching video cards so I can finally solve this. I still experience the same issue on the old video card.

I feel like this diagnostics is going into extremely serious territory with cpu and motherboard left to test; I'm probably forgetting or unaware of other things to test as well.

Update: I think the problem is getting worse. Those system hangs were getting longer and then it completely froze. >.<
m
l
April 13, 2011 7:59:30 PM

I'm getting the same issues!!

maximus extreme iv
8g patriot 2000mhz
2 x 6970's
1100W psu
raid vertex 2's
other storage..

Its so random and absolutely maddening!!

found this on another forum

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

someone was suggesting that the issue may have to do with some device hanging...I've run that program and I get spikes right when the system starts to freeze up. Don't really know where to go from here...

also I swapped out the ram and still had the same issues
m
l
April 13, 2011 9:12:26 PM

Figured my problem out!

Asus wireless card was messing up my stack

switched over to lan and disabled it. That cleared up my problems....They had a driver on their site that fixed it too if you have the same card...

hope this helps!
m
l
!