Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Good motherboard for i7 2600K?

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
February 28, 2012 8:37:12 PM

Hi
Im thinking of upgrading to an i7 soon (phenom ii x4 at the minute) and i was just wondering what motherboard will be good, i am thinking of overclocking but thats not too important at the moment also it needs to be under £250, Anyone know the best mobo's for that price range?
Thanks in advance :D 

More about : good motherboard 2600k

Related resources
a c 328 V Motherboard
February 28, 2012 8:58:35 PM

Its old one (Rev 1.0).
a c 328 V Motherboard
February 28, 2012 9:02:20 PM

Yes, 1.0 is the very first edition 2.0 have probably some bugs fixed and it is maybe more updated with newer components.
a c 328 V Motherboard
February 28, 2012 9:05:47 PM

haveyoutriedturningitoffandonagain said:
Oh so what are 'rev's? are they like versions so i should be looking for rev2 or 3?

I like to recommend extreme3 or 4 too, they are great boards with tons of features.

Easily OC'able to 4.5GHz, plenty of PCIE slots, but the only thing that bugs me, a little, is 2 years of the warranty vs 3 with the others.

But it has ASUS DNA, so it is made with good quality components.

February 28, 2012 9:08:59 PM

oh ok thaks nikorr and i have an asrock now and im not really that impressed (very slow boot,few crashes/bsods) it maybe because its a pretty cheap board so i might look around to see if anyones had any problems with this board but so far all reviews look good!
a c 328 V Motherboard
February 28, 2012 9:13:10 PM

haveyoutriedturningitoffandonagain said:
oh ok thaks nikorr and i have an asrock now and im not really that impressed (very slow boot,few crashes/bsods) it maybe because its a pretty cheap board so i might look around to see if anyones had any problems with this board but so far all reviews look good!

OK, whats the specs for the old one, because the Z68 is fast , I build 2 PC with the mobos and no complains from anyone : )
a c 328 V Motherboard
February 28, 2012 9:15:40 PM

(very slow boot,few crashes/bsods)

If u have W7, quality PSU, quality mobo (meaning if they updates the drivers) fast 2600K quality components... no problems.

I cant imagine slow anything with 2600K : ))

Only if u would have some virus or other pest in the system.
February 28, 2012 9:19:40 PM

Aah and the one i have now is an m3n78d (http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?model=m3n78d) its a pretty value oriented board. and its not anything in the system because it crashed when i was installing w7 when i first got all my components :p  seems to have been fine since then apart from the odd bsod which of course might be more to do with the os rather than the hardware but the boot is still very slow to get past post which again is probably because it was a cheap board
a c 328 V Motherboard
February 28, 2012 9:27:35 PM

haveyoutriedturningitoffandonagain said:
Aah and the one i have now is an m3n78d (http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?model=m3n78d) its a pretty value oriented board. and its not anything in the system because it crashed when i was installing w7 when i first got all my components :p  seems to have been fine since then apart from the odd bsod which of course might be more to do with the os rather than the hardware but the boot is still very slow to get past post which again is probably because it was a cheap board

The install BSOD's is mostly related to the RAM. Could be the medium, could be the user error, bad PSU, bad mobo or it just needs to get reset the BIOS : )

Could be anything. Lots of people comes here with similar problems and are happy campers after they leave : ))
February 28, 2012 9:44:45 PM

it could have actually been the psu as the first one i got was pretty cheap too but now i have an ocz installed and its been fine ever since, guess it serves me right for trying to get away with cheap parts D: anyway ill have another look around for boards similar to the asrock as well as more reviews as im not sure when ill be getting the new cpu anyway but 1 last question im thinking of oc'ing to 4ghz would it be best to go for water cooling or stay on air for 4ghz with this cpu? and which cooler should i get?
Thanks for all your help :) 
February 28, 2012 9:54:36 PM

wow 4.5 on air?! i would expect it to need water-cooling over 4! also is it necessary to get low profile ram? i have 4gb ddr3 2000mhz now so shouldnt that be ok or will i getting low profile ram help with overclocking the cpu?
a c 328 V Motherboard
February 28, 2012 9:57:50 PM

haveyoutriedturningitoffandonagain said:
wow 4.5 on air?! i would expect it to need water-cooling over 4! also is it necessary to get low profile ram? i have 4gb ddr3 2000mhz now so shouldnt that be ok or will i getting low profile ram help with overclocking the cpu?

I have mine 2600K @ 4.5GHz on air, and I edit videos and 3D and audio, it is a great CPU.
a c 328 V Motherboard
February 28, 2012 9:59:03 PM

haveyoutriedturningitoffandonagain said:
wow 4.5 on air?! i would expect it to need water-cooling over 4! also is it necessary to get low profile ram? i have 4gb ddr3 2000mhz now so shouldnt that be ok or will i getting low profile ram help with overclocking the cpu?

What is the voltage?

2600K don't like to go more than 1.5V.
February 28, 2012 10:13:42 PM

My rams voltage is 1.5, also ive checked some of the reviews for that board and one said that he had trouble fitting a cm 212 cooler which you reccomended into it? also some have reported a few major problems which i guess you can always expect 1 or 2 dud boards out off many working ones
a c 328 V Motherboard
February 28, 2012 10:14:49 PM

Is the RAM XMP?
a c 328 V Motherboard
February 28, 2012 10:21:33 PM

Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (Intel® XMP) is a performance-packed expansion of the standard DDR3 memory specification.

It enables a robust, overclocking solution designed to take advantage of the mega-gaming features built into Intel® technology-based PCs.

If you like to overclock and squeeze every possible ounce of performance from your PC, then memory based on Intel XMP is the solution you need to fully dominate–without breaking a sweat.
February 28, 2012 10:23:55 PM

I dont think it has xmp as i don't have anything intel in my system and I didn't see anything on the packaging for it when I bought it
a c 328 V Motherboard
February 28, 2012 10:29:24 PM

haveyoutriedturningitoffandonagain said:
I dont think it has xmp as i don't have anything intel in my system and I didn't see anything on the packaging for it when I bought it

It is a performance profile in the RAM. Do u have the ful code name of the RAM? Or the link?

Check this link and look for the XMP.

On the bottom, where it says Intel.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

a c 328 V Motherboard
February 29, 2012 6:18:09 PM

No XMP profile.
a c 328 V Motherboard
February 29, 2012 6:27:00 PM

haveyoutriedturningitoffandonagain said:
ok so does this mean i can keep this ram or will i need to get some with xmp?

Yes, keep it. U can always OC manually through the BIOS..
a c 328 V Motherboard
February 29, 2012 6:27:24 PM

BTW, how much RAM do u have?
a c 328 V Motherboard
February 29, 2012 6:28:15 PM

U should have at least 8GB on x64bit system.
a c 328 V Motherboard
February 29, 2012 7:05:22 PM

haveyoutriedturningitoffandonagain said:
ok and at the moment i only have 4 but im getting another 4gb soon anyway

Get also x64bit windows, unless u have it already.
!